View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I think all that is important is that it worked for you, and you were comfortable with the training.

I was reading some of your posts earlier in the year, and you mentioned it is an ex-terrier. Did you rehome the dog or did something happen?

Can't wait to see it!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, also got taught quite a bit about our dogs diet - or lack of. 80% water was what we had pretty much been feeding her!

Moved onto another brand recomended on by Mic and Rob. Maybe its a coincidence, but no trips to the vets with ear infections and the like, and she's looking a lot more solid!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:16 PM
oohhh, can I ask what they recommend?
Sorry it's my fav. subject!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Ex-terrier? If I said that, it will have been a typo so apologies. Would have meant ex-terror. She was a real tear away before!!

Now just working on keeping on top of what we have learnt and getting into some agility classes or something similar.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Afraid so! Think we're on soon, not sure. Very worried about it all! Seems to be some negativity towards it all!

!
Don't be too worried , if there is any negativity it should not IMO be directed at any owners, after all they are asking for help, but at the trainers.

I am afraid I am one of the often negative ones, as I am currently studying training and behaviour (changed my whole life around to do this) and everyone on the course feels it has just put dog training back about 30 years.

It's very like the Barbara Woodhouse tv show and also like one which is pretty much forgotten called "Delinquent dogs" which if i remember correctly was on BBC 1 and showed a lot of jerking and shouting etc just like DB (well in the first series anyway).

Just my view
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Top of my head, I cannot remember the 4 they suggested which I am really annoyed about actually!

All i know is, of the 4, we could only find 'James Wellbeloved'

She had been on pedigree chum (80% water, 4% 'Meat') and various treats. Treats are now these gluten free things that mic gave us as opposed to those sugar rich hyper activity inducing ones we used to use!

Much calmer dog now!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
He got us doing agility, recalls, searches, retrieves. Showed as that we shouldnt just take her for a walk. So we now try and make her work on her walks, hiding her toys and making her work on her searching, always practicing our recall, and just generally letting her be a dog!
Yes, now this part I agree with totally - how many owners just go out for a walk and wonder why their dog ignores them much of the time?!

..... I appreciate we could have got the same results in a number of different ways, but the opportunity was presented to us in this way, so I hope you understand why we took it.
It's good you realise this, because any good trainer would be suggesting these kinds of things to improve matters I'm glad you feel your experience was a good one.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Wysiwyg - dont worry. I have been reading some of your posts and noted the comments towards the trainers. I can see where you are coming from on some of the points.

I can only ask to bear in mind that its 3 days pretty much of training distilled down to 20 minutes per dog 'entertainment'. I hope you get to see the trainers in a more natural surrounding. I havent seen many trainers before, so Im not the best to comment, for what its worth, I think they all work hard and pick a technique that will work for each trainer and owner. I know they disagree amongst each other about each others methods too, so they certainly keep each other on their toes

I just hope you arent right!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=AJL;789690]Ex-terrier? If I said that, it will have been a typo so apologies. Would have meant ex-terror. She was a real tear away before!!
QUOTE]

So sorry, I thought you meant ex as in you no longer have her!!! (i call my terrier a terror, I thought you meant the same) what type of dog is she? I need to know so i can look out for you!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 03:40 PM
what type of dog is she? I need to know so i can look out for you!
You're going to laugh, possibly even more when you see it, but shes a pug...and a very small one at that. Not to everyones taste i know, but something about their personality that got me and my girlfriend hooked!

I wasnt there for the first meeting of Mic and saffy, but apparently Mic was expecting a GSD! Priceless!

One favour to ask though for letting you know - if I look like a pillock on the TV, please remember its the editing that did it! I didnt mind the camping, and I thoroughly enjoyed waking up at 5am freezing cold with a camera in my face!
Page 6 of 45 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »