Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:39 PM

'Mounting' ideas on prevention?

Hi

I have posted tonight about my 8 month old staff with one retained testicle, and castration opitions. So other than castration ...

Does anyone have any training tips or ideas on stopping him from 'mounting'
He currently does it to toys, footballs, and my brand new footstool, that came with my brand new sofa, of which he also seems to have a love for 'mounting' the cushions. Hes taken a liking to my slipper, but thank god so far nobody's leg.

I am worried about letting him off the lead whilst he is like this incase he goes off and finds himself a bitch.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Adele
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:57 PM
My year old bitch humps everything .. I have in the last 2 days starting giving her a quick squirt from a water bottle.. so far it seems to stop her in the act and the behaviour has lessened .. not stopped but a lot less than 2 days ago
Rachel
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Hiya
This may not be the popular answer but I have never seen it as acceptable behaviour in either my dog ( entire ) or bitch ( spayed) they have at various ages 'tried it on ' but I just won't accept it ..they both have been told off in no uncertain terms that they just can't do it ..and so they don't. IMHO if they do 'it ' to cushions ,toys etc ..then just remove them ...some peeps find it ok ..I don't :smt002
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Hiya
This may not be the popular answer but I have never seen it as acceptable behaviour in either my dog ( entire ) or bitch ( spayed) they have at various ages 'tried it on ' but I just won't accept it ..they both have been told off in no uncertain terms that they just can't do it ..and so they don't. IMHO if they do 'it ' to cushions ,toys etc ..then just remove them ...some peeps find it ok ..I don't :smt002
Ain't that the truth, not funny being mounted by a Dobermann, not something I have a problem with as they are not even allowed to jump up at us, never mind mount.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Hiya
I totally understand where your coming from and I do not find it acceptable either. Thats my problem, I do tell him off and I have taken all the toys away that he does it to, but he needs toys sometimes !
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Exactly ..Murphy tried it once at about 5-6 months old -we rollocked him for it ( and I don't mean battered or traumatised ) but he knew he shouldn't do it .....he's never done it since :smt002 and the little dog is treated the same .

Edited -sorry that reply was for Trouble

Adele4dan
yes they all need toys but IMO not for that ..because it will escalate from cushion to peeps legs etc ..its just not an option in our house ( and I'm not trying to be holier than thou' ..my dogs probably do stuff that other people wouldn't allow but that is just my 'thang'
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 10:50 PM
With a retained testicle i wouldnt be thinking of alternatives sorry he'd be in for the op asap ours had the same and it wasnt an option for him.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 07:56 AM
a retained testicle, has serious health implications down the line. my mums little yorkie.. stranglated.. very nasty.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
With a retained testicle i wouldnt be thinking of alternatives sorry he'd be in for the op asap ours had the same and it wasnt an option for him.
Sorry I didnt really make myself clear on this post, he is being castrated but we have to wait for a while, which is why im asking if anyone has any ideas on preventing his horrid behaviour before hand.