View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:22 PM
When a novice dog owner hires a professional trainer they assume that the trainer knows what they are doing. What happened here was appalling, but, unfortunately, this sort of technique still happens all over this country (UK) to a lesser extent as part of rank reduction type training.

What makes this even worse is that the theory behind this type of training is flawed. The only time a dog would do this to another dog forcibly would be with the full intention of attacking it. It is very different from what we see in wolf and to a very much lesser extent, dog natural behaviour where a submissive wolf/dog puts himself on his back as an act of submission while the stronger character stands over them

Things are changing on the dog training front, but, unfortunately, as this account shows, not nearly fast enough.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:24 PM
That is so sad and so unneccessary:smt010

It makes me very angry
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:25 PM
That is horrific and so sad - puts me off letting anyone near my dog!
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I do think the "trainer" should be prosecuted but have to disagree about prosecuting the owner as well.

If you have taken your dog to a person who professes to be a professional you would trust that person to know what they are doing. The owner obviously loved their dog as they had bothered to seek help with a behavioural problem to make the dogs life a better one.

I think I personally would have intervened right at the start but maybe the owner was not experienced or too trusting to doubt the trainer.

I used to hate holding my children when they had their vaccinations and they were pleading with me not to have the injection - but it was a case of being "cruel" to be kind and perhaps the owner viewed it in the same light.

I am just sad that this could happen at all in this day and age.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:39 PM
That is just awful!! The poor dog!
I too think the trainer should be prosecuted and not allowed to practice anymore! That seems to be cruelty not training!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh what a sickening story!!!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Ifinding it and upsetting fact that all the abuse storries I hear nowadays do not shock me, we see so many awfull stories it is hard to be shock, disgusted off course but rarely shocked. But this has deeply shocked me, thats someone who professes to be and animal lover and a trainer can use a method so cruel and damaging to the dog that it actually caused his death. I agree that the owner should have stopped this woman, I personally would never have let her do it in the first place, but I feel for the owner and her family she probably thought in the long run she was doing what was best for the dog, she had brought in someone she had believed was a proffessional and was going to cure her dogs problems she believed her when she said her dog was fine, how could she predict what was going to happen! Equally I could never have stood by watching my dog in obvious distress and not help him but the guilt this woman will no doubt carry with her for the rest of her life is more than enough punishment for believing the word of this woman over the obvious distress her dog was suffering.
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 01:36 PM
that is absolutely shocking. That poor dog.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Speechless & disgusted!
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Read this a while ago, I know most in here dont like the 'old'methods but I have to say that its people like this that give the common impression that anyone these days even remotely using 'old' methods a bad rep.....there are plenty of great trainers around that can safely and effectively carry out an alpha roll if warranted.

I hope this idiot is prosecuted.....it was reported that she had 'trained' over 1700 dogs....she should have known that this dog was in trouble....there is no excuse for it.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >