Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
Dogs tend to repeat whatever behaviour gets them a reward (this is the principle of reward based training!) Missy threw herself at the door a few times the other night and found herself outside the crate (quite a reward!) Now, when she's in the crate and wants to be outside, she's repeating the behaviour that preceded her liberation the last time. You just have to stick with what you're doing, sounds like you're learning a lot fast, and make sure you lock that crate properly EVERY time from now on. She'll soon find that thrashing about is not so profitable as she thought - and much less comfortable than sleeping!!!
Hiya all,

Thanks for the advice again, and I am trying to follow the advice quoted

Lastnight was a great night, not even a cry. She happily goes in the crate now during the day, she doesnt make a noise, just lays down and goes to sleep. At the moment she is crying and has been throwing herself around her crate!!! I suppose she is just giving it one last try maybe!! I only put her to "bed" about 15 minutes ago, but hopefully she will settle soon.

She is strange, like I said, she has no problem going in there, however at night the cries start. I think we must be making head way as we had a complete quiet night lastnight. I am going to stick with it definately. The evidence so far is that she actually likes been in there, we have now caught her many a times having little sleeps

Everything else is brilliant. She has truelly settled in now, and has eaten my wifes boot and there are teeth marks in my mobile phone lol. I can safely say everything is now out of her reach. Actually she isnt too bad, she knows what she should chew and what she shouldnt, she only chews things of ours when she wants attention I am sure she will grow out of it.

We took her out to Seaside for half an hour today (only live 10 mins away). She was fantastic in the car. We didnt take Zak (our late GSD) in the car much because he was a nightmare. He used to get car sick and would cry all of the time. However with Missy it was a pleasure. She was strapped in the back seat and just laid down happy Hopefully when she is bigger we can take her out for days

Well, we just had 5 minutes of quiet and now she is creating again. Oh well, turn the tv up again!!!

We bought her a lovely new bed for her crate It has high sides and is machine washable (always a bonus....what? us men do washing too!!) Hopefully it might help her settle better on a night.

Well thanks again for the advice.

I will let you know how we get on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 05:43 AM
fantastic!!!
More pics more pics more pics........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't worry it sounds like you are getting there. She is very beautiful I can see the Dobi in her also.
It took quite a while with one of my rescue dogs to settle him in his crate at night, although he is only small oh boy can he make a high pitched howl. I too used a hot water bottle and also an old jumper of mine. Must admit you are doing very well indeed and she will be fine it just might take another couple of weeks for her to settle down completely at night.
The problem is she may have bagage from her last owner and she is just wanting attention and some rea-assurance from you that this is now her forever home.
If you keep consistant with what you are already doing I am certain that in a couple of weeks you will not hear a peep out of our at night.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Hiya all,

All is fine this morning here. Missy had her stitches out lastnight and she was very good Lastnight she cried for about an hour on and off. Then she started to bark I went in the kitchen and shouted at her again This did the trick though, not a peep from her after that!!

I dont want to get into the habit of going in and shouting at her because like people say, me going in there is a reward enough for her crying. She spent most of yesterday asleep because I was busy around the house, so maybe she just had a little more energy lastnight than usual. She is asleep now next to me (11.20am), should I try and not let her sleep much during the day? or is it the norm for a puppy to sleep so much?

I do really appreciate everyones advice on here. Zak our previous dog was 4 when he came to live with me, so he was totally through his "mad" stage, and also he was already set in his ways so to speak, I havent had any experience with puppies and I appreciate the more work we put in now, the more rewarding family pet we will have along with a "very" happy iccle doggie

Ailsa - I have just received her new bed in the post so once I have put it in her crate I will take some pics of her in it and post them
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Hiya, glad to hear things are improving, sopunds like you are doing a great job!

Originally Posted by Roper999
She spent most of yesterday asleep because I was busy around the house, so maybe she just had a little more energy lastnight than usual. She is asleep now next to me (11.20am), should I try and not let her sleep much during the day? or is it the norm for a puppy to sleep so much?
Puppies do sleep alot, same as babies I wouldnt stop her sleeping durring the day but would try to wear her out before bed maybe play ball in the garden or fetch or something but make sure she has time to calm down again before going in her crate for bed.
You will get there! Night times used to be a problem for me, but now I dont even have to have Loki in his crate he just lies down in his bed or on mine and goes to sleep, he used to go mad in his crate because he wanted to be with me and now given the choice he generally prefers to lie on his bed on the other side of the room and only comes on my bed for a cuddle in the morning (which is lovely!) I know your situation is different to mine, am just saying if we got there so can you!
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Hannah The words of encouragement do really help............I am sure we will get there, one things for sure, we would never ever give up

I have uploaded some more pics of Missy taken lastnight as promised. The thread is here http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.p...493#post638493

Lastnight was a strange one. She didnt make a noise for about 10 mins after leaving her with her Kong. Then she cried on and off for maybe 10 minutes a time for about an hour, then silence. We didnt even sleep with our TV on lastnight and she didnt wake me up

I am sure the crying will continue for a few more weeks but atleast we are getting some easier nights

Thanks again everyone
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Roper999
Thanks for the reply Hannah The words of encouragement do really help............I am sure we will get there, one things for sure, we would never ever give up

I have uploaded some more pics of Missy taken lastnight as promised. The thread is here http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.p...493#post638493

Lastnight was a strange one. She didnt make a noise for about 10 mins after leaving her with her Kong. Then she cried on and off for maybe 10 minutes a time for about an hour, then silence. We didnt even sleep with our TV on lastnight and she didnt wake me up

I am sure the crying will continue for a few more weeks but atleast we are getting some easier nights

Thanks again everyone
Glad to hear that things are improving, sounds like shes getting used to the routine. Have just looked at and replied on your other thread, she is very beautiful, you are very lucky!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I have no further advice, but wanted to say Hollie is now 4 years old (had her from a tiny pup) and although she doesn't use the crate for night time now, she does go in happily for us if we need her shut somewhere safe if for instance the front door is open for a delivery or something.

She got used to her crate very quickly we were lucky. We made it a cosy safe place for her - nice cosy bed, a teddy with our scent on (although that was ripped to shreds once she decided she was a 'big girl'!) and a couple of small treats to say 'good girl' for settling down.

I wish you all the luck in the world with her! xx
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Hiya all,

Well the latest update is good news

Over the last few nights she has been really really good. We have made big improvements. On an evening she has been crying for maybe 2-5 minutes maximum after leaving her. The new bed seems to have done the trick. With the high sides I think she feels abit safer and she can snuggle herself upto it which aids a better nights sleep I would imagine.

I am still giving her a Kong and hot water bottle, and the radio is still being left on for her.

So, anyone else having problems with their puppy crying on a night, it does get easier and thanks to the advice given to me on here we are all getting a good nights sleep

We had a little set back this morning when my wife left for work but I got up and shouted at her and didnt hear another peep until I actually got up. She is learning and believe she was just trying it on. She is very much attention seeking. She knows what she can and cant chew/play with, and if she wants your attention you can bet that she will come running through with something she shouldnt lol..........yesterday it was a roll of aluminium foil, but normally it is a shoe lol.

Thanks again everyone.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Hiya all,

Sorry I havent been around much but what with the world cup and all.............

Well we have now had Missy for nearly 6 weeks and we are making 3 steps forward and one step back which is great. Most nights she doesnt make a sound. The odd night where she has, a quick abrupt opening of the kitchen door and "Naughty Missy" has done the trick

I have a few questions about how we should be telling Missy off so any help there would be most appreciated, look out for my post

Thanks again to everyone who posted and helped us through the first few weeks. It has worked and she is happily going into her crate whenever we need her too.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >