View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Havent read all post so appologies if i am repeating someone or if you are already doing this, my pup (20 weeks old) used to go in his crate to sleep and goes in durring the day at work and if he is left at all he is fine and has always been given a treat after going in his crate so he associates it with good things, but after him being a bit reluctant to go in the other day I realised he was associating the crate with being left, so started giving him a treat in the crate through out the day and leaving the door open so he could go in eat it and come out again (which I did at first when getting him used to his crate but just havent done lately, I know you say she will go in if you are not near the crate so maybe you could try sitting next to the crate lurring her in with a treat (may takes some time waiting for her to go in and get it or may have to start treating as she goes near the crate making her have to get closer each time for the treat til she is going in then letting her go out again once she has gone in for it, then when she is used to that stepping it up to her going in the crate and you pushing door to and opening it straight away so not everytime she goes in and the door closes she gets left or has to stay in for any amount of time. Hope i've made sense just an idea
She is gorgeous! Im sure with time you will get there! From your earlier post you are progressing already!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Great news!! I bet after a few nights of the same, there's no crying etc and she settles fine!

Yay!
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the input again, arent dogs funny lol

Hannah - Thx for your experience and advice. Unfortunately I am finding Missy is not a fond lover of bribary. She is definately stubborn and will bite her nose off to spite her face so to speak lol. I am going to have to find a particular piece of food which she loves and cannot resist because no matter what I am using now she wont even come out of the living room!!! Its maybe the tone in my voice, you know because I know I am "bribing" her my tone probably tells her that too. All we actually do now is pick her up and put her in the crate. She doesnt cry when we do this just kind of freezes lol...she goes all stiff and makes it as hard as possible for me to move her (bugg** lol). Once in the crate she lets out whines and is definately not impressed with me for putting her in there but I think she is coming to terms with it now. Like it or not, that is where she sleeps so she is maybe fed up of the sleepless nights. Thanks again for posting

Update :

Unfortunately tonight (Wednesday) is a bad example of how quiet she is being. She was speyed at the vets today and is obviousley not in the best of health poor Missy It was part of the agreement with the rescue kennels to get her speyed so they arranged it for today. She is fine thank god, I just hate seeing animals like this Its ok for us humans, we know whats going on if we have anesthetic!! We kept her bed in the living room from picking her up at 6pm, and I have just put her in the crate at 12pm. Not even a sound from her, but like I said this is understanding however I am pleased that she is prepared to stay by herself when she is feeling under the weather, atleast it shows abit of independence.

She was sick when she got home but that was our fault really Well she must have been so thirsty because we couldnt let her drink or eat from 7pm lastnight but she didnt have her operation until about 2pm today Anyway, as soon as we got home from the vets she sat at the back door for "wee wee" (Shes a fast learner), we let her out and turned away, looked back and she is slurping water from a puddle in the back garden (it was raining heavy)

We got her in and hoped for the best but about 5 minutes later the puddle was in our living room Since then though she has been sipping water and she is fine now

A quick update on lastnight, another fantastic night She cried for about 10 minutess lastnight and not another sound after that, even when I went to bed:0 It looks like persevering with it has paid off. Like I said, she isnt keen on it but then I wouldnt expect her to be. When she is in the crate she is away from us so thats pretty much self explanatory. I suppose I am pleased she is settling in and its thanks to all the posters on here who helped me out and encouraged me. Sleepless nights arent good for anyone, dogs nor owners and I just hope we are passed the worse.

I will keep you update over the coming few nights. I have a feeling that within a few months we will have to fight to get her out of her crate (touch wood)

Thanks again all
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Hope hse's feeling a bit better today.
Glad things are improving...
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Glad things are looking up you will get there eventually
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Really pleased you're getting somewhere, that's great progress!

Just thought of something else, although you might already be doing it?

Take an old jumper etc and wear it for a few hours, then put it in the crate for her to lie on. That way she can still smell you and might not feel so anxious when you put her to bed!

Sorry if it's already been suggested, I haven't read all the posts!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 10:57 AM
How long can you leave a pup crated during the day?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Roper999, Pleased to read that she has started to settle better for you. Wishing you all the very best with the training xxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
How long can you leave a pup crated during the day?
I think that depends on what the pup is doing when not crated. For example if they have lots of exercise and inter action when you are there, you can leave them for half a day at a time easily. I thought you had given up on the crate though.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
I think that depends on what the pup is doing when not crated. For example if they have lots of exercise and inter action when you are there, you can leave them for half a day at a time easily. I thought you had given up on the crate though.
Thinking of re-introducing it to help with Toilet training.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >