View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Linda, not got to a conclusion yet with the webbed dogmatic, Its very frustrating. I have heard lots of bad press about the Halti and seen dogs on walks getting very anxious with them. The dogmatic is brilliant ONLY IN LEATHER. Got my new hoover by the way. An animal!

Marie, I should of ordered a leather one to start with but I thought the webbed looked lovely, they do do the leather in Brodie's size. If I get this sorted I will let you know.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Had a letter from credit card company and they couldnt help as I still have to goods even though they are faulty! So have taken it up with Trading Standards now and they are going to chase it up for me as I have a definate claim. Nice to know we do have consumer rights after all.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Oh still no joy yet then. Best of luck with T Standards. I STILL haven't got around to getting one yet.
daiseydog
New Member!
Male 

04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm glad I found this site while looking for the Dogmatic site, it's saved me wasting more cash.
Tried the Gentle Leader and found that it nearly took out Daiseydog the Dalmation's eye's so was not impressed with that one. Daiseydog is a four year old rescue dog, great indoors with the Grandchildren etc but pulls like a train, even had me over twice and I'm 16 stone and fit.
Also tried another halter that pulls under the front legs but that caused bald patches. Whatever we use we still have a full leather body harness as a safety backup as Daiseydog is a bit of a human retreiver and has bitten in the past.
So to the Dogmatic, got the leather one and it seemed very stiff, wouldn't want it rubbing on my chops, so soaked it in leather dressing and got it a bit softer and all seemed to be well for six weeks, about 84 miles worth, Daiseydog had a few issues with it but no more than other types. Just lateley she has been making her nose bleed while trying to get it off in the undergrowth and foaming at the mouth, why ? the loop under the chin seems to stay closed tight like a hose clip as where it sits most of the time it takes on an almost memory like shape and no amount of leather dressing seems to make it soft and realese. Was going to try the Dogmatic webbing one but after reading this site it seems it may not be up to it and God forbid she ever got loose as she is liable to try to eat a stranger. So it seems it's time to try the cannycollar as suggested on here, fingers crossed.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by daiseydog View Post
I'm glad I found this site while looking for the Dogmatic site, it's saved me wasting more cash.
Tried the Gentle Leader and found that it nearly took out Daiseydog the Dalmation's eye's so was not impressed with that one. Daiseydog is a four year old rescue dog, great indoors with the Grandchildren etc but pulls like a train, even had me over twice and I'm 16 stone and fit.
Also tried another halter that pulls under the front legs but that caused bald patches. Whatever we use we still have a full leather body harness as a safety backup as Daiseydog is a bit of a human retreiver and has bitten in the past.
So to the Dogmatic, got the leather one and it seemed very stiff, wouldn't want it rubbing on my chops, so soaked it in leather dressing and got it a bit softer and all seemed to be well for six weeks, about 84 miles worth, Daiseydog had a few issues with it but no more than other types. Just lateley she has been making her nose bleed while trying to get it off in the undergrowth and foaming at the mouth, why ? the loop under the chin seems to stay closed tight like a hose clip as where it sits most of the time it takes on an almost memory like shape and no amount of leather dressing seems to make it soft and realese. Was going to try the Dogmatic webbing one but after reading this site it seems it may not be up to it and God forbid she ever got loose as she is liable to try to eat a stranger. So it seems it's time to try the cannycollar as suggested on here, fingers crossed.
Just remember this is an old thread, from 2006. I'm prety sure the design of the Dogmatic has changed since then. My leather Dogmatics have lasted wonderfully and I definately rate them the best headcollars I've tried - and that's the Halti, Gentle Leader and the Cani Collar.
I would say that I don't think Dogmatic were being unreasonable by not swapping a faulty webbing collar for a leather one, when there's a price difference. An exchange or a refund and maybe a discount on a leather one as a goodwill gesture, but they'd have no legal obligation to swap one product for another more expensive one.
If you still are considering a Dogmatic, I'd phone and ask whether the design still has a weakness or whether it's been addressed, they were very helpful to me when I needed advice on sizing and on how to soften the leather.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a leather dogmatic for Angel and its fab, had it about 3 years now and its still in excellent condition - he still prances like a fairy though with it on!!
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
i stumbled across this thread via google
anyone else recommend these,or pref gentle leader??
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a Gentle Leader and do not use it as I find the clip comes undone very easily plus it's too fiddly.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I've just bought a Dogmatic for my Beagle, who on the whole walks to heel nicely but will have the occasional 'nose to the ground and pull like a train' moment and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the results and the quality of the product. I got the new 'soft and lined' leather collar and from what I have seen, they are so much better than the older, stiffer, unlined version.

Murphy is also highly reactive when other dogs approach him whilst he's on-leash and we have been struggling to cope with this. Using the Dogmatic has made him calmer and more responsive and we now feel like we can finally make progress in helping him with his issues. It has been a God-send, actually.

I realise all dogs and situations are different and what has worked for us may not work for others but in this instance Dogmatic have done exactly what they claim to do.
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Glad I found this!!!! And apologies for dragging up an old thread

Freckles has a Halti at the moment but neither of us are hugely chuffed with it. I find that although she pulls less she still fights it the whole way and when we get home and take it off she goes mad rubbing her face all over the floor (I assume to get rid of the sensation), therefore walks are not as relaxed for either of us as they should be.

I was looking at the Dogmatic and was wondering if there were still the same issues with the webbing ones now or have they improved them? I don't want to waste money if it breaks but the leather ones are alot of money if she doesnt get on with it.

Thanks
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >