Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
if i was you i would try to get him trapped in the garage and well he was shut in get a secure fence built on the front so he could still be outside and have his dog house in the outside area,

he would resent being trapped at first but from what i know dogs that are confined can be taught to trust again much faster plus you would know he was safe,
you could even fence your whole property if its possible so he still is free in a large area with plenty of escape routes but again would be safe
The dog is now in a smaller yard with my little guy, sheltie mix. He escaped three times the first time I put him in the smaller enclosed yard. He is staying now. I have a 2 car attached garage on the other side of the house . The side where my nutty neighbor lives. Don't want the dog near him. The only shelter the poor guy has is a dog house for now. I wish so much that he would adventually come in the house and stay.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by runningrabbit View Post
If he lets you pet him and is eating out of a bowl, I would hold the bowl and hand-feed him from it. If you can make up a comfortable pile of blankets or bed in the garage where you do this, sit with him there and do it on the bed you want him to sleep on.

There may come a time when you have to decide to 'trap' him. You may have to accept that if you don't do this, you never will have him safe and sound. Many feral dogs are trapped and caught and then successfully rehabilitated and worked with, once safe and sound. Although it might be traumatic to capture him, it might also be for his benefit in the long-term. You would need to have a securely fenced in outdoor area, so he doesn't have to live indoors permanently during this process.
Thank you for the advise. I now have him in a fenced in area with my other dog.He sleeps in a dog house, my dog in the house. He was diagnosed with heartworm and he will be receiving treatment at home. I must keep him calm. This should be a challenge.We have Memorial weekend coming up and they like to blow off fireworks in this area. Good idea to feed him and hold the bowl while he eats.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Morning Glory

There is one big differance,a feral cat learns to live without us humans,there is no such thing as a feral dog,they always will need us to provide for them,Cats walk alone.Dogs always need us so you have a fighting chance,and once he trusts and knows that you are the provider,he will come in from the cold,but your journey will be just beginning,gradually he will move to the next stage,but it will be tiny steps,but each step will be a celebration.So keep us posted Gemini54
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I'd be reluctant to try that. He may feel trapped and therefore want to defend himself.

Cake's a good idea
Agreed he may panic BUT, it may be the only way to move this process forward. There are only a few short months before the weather changes with the onset of winter. Kye needs to be rehabilitated before then and happy to be in a warm safe environment.

As stated, dogs aren't naturally feral, they depend on humans to feed and provide them with shelter. Morningglory is trying a softly softly approach but is worried about her neighbour and the dog control people so time is a factor here.

A dog computes situations in a very simple way - is it safe or not? If not safe, run. Morningglory has to convince the dog that her environment is always safe and that may mean closing that door!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
A dog computes situations in a very simple way - is it safe or not? If not safe, run. Morningglory has to convince the dog that her environment is always safe and that may mean closing that door!
Yes completely agree, we have to put ourselves into the body of the dog and try to see things through his eyes. If nothing bad happens when the door is closed he may well get used to it, especially if something good also happens, like a bit of nice food appears.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Morning Glory With memorial weekend coming,in the UK we have fireworks in November,but was wondering if you can get in the USA Quiet Life it is natural and added to there water,it helpsthe dog to deal with dogshows fireworks etc.I believe you would probably get it on the well known book site.Gemini54
jp909
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
I will like to introduce myself. I have joined this sight in hopes of getting information and tips on how to tame and socialize a dog I found starving in the woods. He might be semi feral. Any advise will be deeply appreciated.
I can only suggest lot's of time and love. I hope someone can give you more usefull advice. But I want to say a REALLY BIG thank you for helping hie/her. I am sure with some one as kind as you it's only a matter of time.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Agreed he may panic BUT, it may be the only way to move this process forward. There are only a few short months before the weather changes with the onset of winter. Kye needs to be rehabilitated before then and happy to be in a warm safe environment.

As stated, dogs aren't naturally feral, they depend on humans to feed and provide them with shelter. Morningglory is trying a softly softly approach but is worried about her neighbour and the dog control people so time is a factor here.

I didn't say panic. I said
He may feel trapped and therefore want to defend himself.
I'm aware that dogs assess situations as safe or unsafe.
If the dog considers it unsafe and there is nowhere to go, Morningglory could end up being bitten.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I'm aware that dogs assess situations as safe or unsafe.
If the dog considers it unsafe and there is nowhere to go, Morningglory could end up being bitten.
Ok, sure, ..... but trying to be Positive, lets hope that doesn't happen eh?
I guess we won't know until Morningglory tries. It's really up to her if/when she takes this approach and the feedback she gets from the dog to give her the confidence to move the relationship on.
This link tells us a bit more about the breed.
http://a-z-animals.com/animals/american-foxhound/
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the link Apache. It would appear that the breed is nice natured.
American Foxhound Behaviour and Temperament
The American Foxhound has a generally loyal, sweet, affectionate and gentle nature when at home, but like other Hounds, they are incredibly dedicated and brave when hunting. They are however known to be relatively stubborn when they come across a scent trail and can run incredibly fast when giving chase. As a household pet, the American Foxhound needs a great deal of exercise due to it's incredibly active nature and is known to get on well with other domestic Dog breeds, mainly due to it's history as a pack-animal. The American Foxhound does however need a constant pack-leader to avoid any behavioural issues that may occur. Even though the American Foxhound is an incredibly responsive animal,they are not known to be particularly wary of strangers and rarely show any aggressive tendencies.
Whilst this dog is wary, it's good to read that the breed rarely shows aggressive tendencies.
Page 7 of 21 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »