Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by WheatenDaneMom View Post
The first thing you can do is stop this behaviour!! I know you know this... LOL Invest in a good chew toy like a kong or a nylabone (or something they have interest in... maybe the toys you have aren't his/her style) and when your puppy starts attacking your trousers you instantly remove your pooch's mouth from your pants, give the "correct" chew instrument and say " .... name... NO!" and walk away. You need to repeat this and if they divert their chewing behaviour to your hand...etc you need to flip them on their backs and hold them down in a dominant behaviour until they STOP MOVING (ie: fighting back), once submission has been reached you let them up and walk away. You must be persistent with this... it can and may take weeks... right now there is no established hierarchy it sounds like and what is annoying and tolerable now.... won't be when your puppy isn't a puppy any more.

OMG how can you advise someone to Alpha roll pin a puppy-do you do this to your dogs ?? Do you do it to your adult Dane(s)?????

To the OP Please do not do what this ill advised person has written, there is no need to use force & aggression to stop the behaviour-it is normal puppy behaviour & not your puppy trying to take over & dominate the world !
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
i have a boerboel presa mix and she is growling and biting quite a bit...any tips on the best way to stop this behavior?
If it is a puppy it is normal prey drive display which could be very useful as a motivator for training obedience. Prey drive is inherited behavior and what the dog bites or not bite ( uses his prey drive on) is learned behavior. Thus it is important to teach the dog what is OK to bite and what is not OK to bite.
At about 12 -16 weeks I would recommend positive / negative reinforcement based training. And do not listen to the PC crowd horrified here by word negative. Negative does not mean inhumane. Yours breed is a very aggressive combination and you will need to be mentally strong handler/trainer and pack leader in order to handle this dog when he/she matures. Now is the time to act. And establish proper leadership position through proper +/- humane reinforcement method. I am training dogs for 44 years and I'll tell you that touchy feely positive only methods will lead to your loss of leadership position and in this case to a dangerous relationship with this type of dog. I know that i will be beaten here by PC crowd. But who cares.
Prager Hans
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:30 PM
*shrug* you can train your dog as you chose and I will train mine. But who do you think you are raising your voice at me through your post treating me like I am so idiot. I have never NOR WILL I EVER hurt my dogs. An alpha hold on a puppy is not painful and if done properly instill dominance over the dog in days to weeks and then you never have to use it again. That is how I am training my Wheaten from multiple individuals who have given me PAID PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. And my Dane is not a terrier... completely different breeds and sensitivities require different training techniques.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Is this an American thing?
No it can`t be or we wouldn`t have Jean Donaldson.
If you want to listen to someone respected by the American Humane Assn etc., go to this US website and learn how the real professionals train
http://jeandonaldson.com/
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:36 PM
You know nothing about me or my pets but rolling a puppy on it's back and using strategic placement of your hands to hold a puppy until they stop fighting is NOT barbaric. You can use the same procedure by holding a puppy under your arm, clasping it's back feet and using your other arm around it's neck area until they stop fighting, biting. I was a new member who's been recently regular... but you have officially pushed me away from this board with your holier than though bitchy attitudes. Are all Europeans as snotty as you all are?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:53 PM
cripes they do it different on the other side of the pond, pinning puppies indeed
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 05:54 PM
You know nothing about me or my pets but rolling a puppy on it's back and using strategic placement of your hands to hold a puppy until they stop fighting is NOT barbaric. You can use the same procedure by holding a puppy under your arm, clasping it's back feet and using your other arm around it's neck area until they stop fighting, biting. I was a new member who's been recently regular... but you have officially pushed me away from this board with your holier than though bitchy attitudes. Are all Europeans as snotty as you all are?
I am European by origin and American by citizenship. I am on your side. Puppy roll is OK. It does some good. But you must understand that people who come after you with vengeance because you say something which does not fit their PC positive only scheme is threatening to them and thus they wish you to shut you up. They get scared when someone disagree with them. Especially if it is the truth.
Do not give up. Always politely keep repeating what you believe is the truth.
And for the one who disagree :
No need to print giant letters in red because you disagree. Just state your case and back it by logic, reason and science.
And be nice.
Prager Hans
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2011, 05:57 PM
You know nothing about me or my pets but rolling a puppy on it's back and using strategic placement of your hands to hold a puppy until they stop fighting is NOT barbaric. You can use the same procedure by holding a puppy under your arm, clasping it's back feet and using your other arm around it's neck area until they stop fighting, biting.. ?
Hi WDM , this is a very outdated method of treating a puppy. When you do this to your puppy you are taking away it's choice of flight/fight and suppressing its natural instinct for self preservation. Doing this may cause behavioural problems to surface later possible as aggression towards humans. You are also teaching your puppy humans are to be feared not trusted and this is the last think you want when building a bond of trust with a puppy.
It saddens me that anyone thinks this is an acceptable way to treat a dog in this day and age and what is more suggests other people use the same method.

Dog behaviour is connected to association with previous events. Imagine when your puppy has grow and some child rolls it over when playing with it and the dog associates it with being 'pinned' a life threatening event. You have a recipe for disaster...

ETA Other members have suggested a more appropriate course of action for training a puppy eg teaching bite inhibition and not rewarding the behaviour with attention.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:57 PM
you keep your dominance theories up mate, most of us have moved with the times and understand that its just not necessary, we want our dogs to do things for us because they want to not because they're scared
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
cripes they do it different on the other side of the pond, pinning puppies indeed
Yeah all American are stupid, ,....wait is that PC?
Prager Hans
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »