View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Mine are fed sometimes before me and sometimes after. The meal time has more to do with what time they are walked than what time I'm eating. Some nights they are fed at 6pm, some nights at 8pm. Their walking routine is centred around my kids and their evening activities, and the meal and they are fed an hour before or after the walk.

More dominance BS. I had this debate with a guy the other day. Also about walking through doors first etc. I said pushing through doors is more of a manners issue than dominance, and if I'm walking all 4 of mine I let them go first otherwise the leads get tangled.

My dogs walk through doors before me, sometimes eat before me, sit on the furniture, lie on my bed and have not once challenged me or growled etc.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Rupert eats whenever I put his food down. Sometimes it's before us, sometimes it's after us, mostly it's at the same time as us. So far he has shown no signs of planning to take over.

It's a load of old rubbish along with the belief that having a dog on the furniture means they'll see themselves as dominant and letting them walk through doors ahead of you means they're dominant.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Mine get fed once I have eaten I have always done it the way so they can have the scraps that are left
ATD x
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Mine eat when they want, they eat what they want and then tell me to "clear this effin mess up wench, go shopping and put the rubbish out "

.. I think dogs are like gremlins .. feed em after midnight or get em wet and they take over the world!! And THAT is my expert opinion!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Is it true or just a loud of old twoddle?

I feed Jin early to give her time to digest and ...... go before bed. If she ate after us, she wouldn't be eating till 9 some nights......hmmm.
So I`m assuming you also feed her after your breakfast and your lunch?

yup... twaddle.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
My dominant savages always get fed before me
They get fed just after 5, then I can make ours, eat, have half an hour and then walk them about 7ish. If I waited til afterwards they wouldn't get walked til 9 o'clock!

When we got Den we had all that daft advice about feeding him after us 'what with a male rottweiler being naturally dominant'. It's a load of rubbish but we were that scared of this being the case we did it for a while - no matter how impractical it was. That dog hasn't got a dominant bone in his body (really, he's a woos) and besides, if he waits too long it actually makes him so physically sick that he can't eat anything then.

People do love to preach though....
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I free feed mine so they eat when they want and that can be before, during or after I eat!!
Becky
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Is it true or just a loud of old twoddle?
It's 100% TRUE.

Fail to follow this rule at your own peril.

If you don't eat first, before you know what's what, you'll be eating dry kibble and cooking roast lamb for the dog

Next thing you know, they'll be on the sofa and you'll be on the floor

They've almost achieved domination - next step is to take control of the bedroom

Them pesky dogs - you can't trust em - I swear they've got a grand plan to take over the world !
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Total twoddle and utter tripe!

My dogs get fed at 5pm - before I/Baz do ANYTHING. They are my first priority when I come in, as it should be.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Total twoddle and utter tripe!

My dogs get fed at 5pm - before I/Baz do ANYTHING. They are my first priority when I come in, as it should be.
Agreed. Here too as already said.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >