Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Poohs
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2004, 07:57 PM

I need your advice

Hi everyone: I need the benefit of your experience please.

We've had Rufus almost three weeks now (he's nearly 11 weeks old now) - and I've been trying to crate train him, and I think we're starting to make progress - .

On Monday I need to go to work for 4 hrs, so I have to leave him, problem being I left him today for about 15 - 20 mins and my neighbour said he went nuts - howling his little head off.

He's not alone, as Vahri is there although she's out and about in the house and he's penned in his crate.

What can I do between now and Monday to ease the strain for him?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Do you only leave him for 15-20 mins or is that how long he howls for - not sure from your post

Have you tried leaving a radio or TV on ? Leaving with a kong ?

I have the same problem - Libby howls like a banshee sometimes
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2004, 07:21 AM
I doubt there is much you can do in three days to improve the situation. It can take quite a while for some dogs to accept & welcome the crate as their special place. However, it may be that seeing your other dog moving around could be unsettling the pup. Has your other dog got her own crate? If so, try crating them both as the pup might settle better if he can see that she is not doing 'interesting' things either. If you do not have a crate for the bitch you could try putting the pup's crate in a separate room so that, again, he cannot observe her moving around, playing, etc. As Clarence said, a Kong (perhaps stuffed with appropriate food) in his crate & a radio left on could also help.

I must add that I think 4+ hours in a crate without human company & supervision is too long for such a young pup.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi miss Poos As always SB is spot on
Can I add..sorry I would not want to leave a puppy that age in the house alone particularly in this hot weather If the dog was older I would suggest a good walk too tire it first...also little spells in the crate througout the day to familiarise the dog. Put dog in crate..ignore/praise when quiet/remove/repeat...do this a few times each day). Is it just this monday ,Can you get someone to come in the house while you are out? A baby sitter? Children are on holiday at the moment there must be someone who would come in? Sorry but if it was me I would have a nervous breakdown leaving an 11 week puppy for 4 hours without human supervision somewhere in the house. But then I am a worrier and would imagine all sorts of dire things happening in my absence I hope you find a solution, good luck