Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:48 AM

He bit me...

I don’t even know if I can type this, im crying so much. Im also not sure where to put this, so just thought I would put it here and then if its wrong it can be moved.

This afternoon, I came in from being at my bf’s. jake was so happy to see me, and we had a great cuddle and he gave me loads of kisses. We were lying on my bed, but I wanted to wash the covers. So I told jake to get down, which he did and I stripped the bed. While I was doing this, jake snuck into my parents bedroom and onto the bed. He isn’t allowed on their bed, and he knows that so I told him to get down. Which he did. I then went back to my room to get ready to take him for a walk. Once I was ready, I called him but he didn’t come, he usually does especially if he hears me getting ready coz he expects to go out all the time. I went back through to my parents bedroom, and he was back on the bed! I told him to get down, but he refused. So I went over and tapped his bum (just a very light tap) and told him again to get down, he did. But he lay on the floor and wouldn’t budge. so I tried to pick him up (which he is used to), and he just went crazy. He started snapping at me, he bit my face and my hand. I eventually had to hold him to the ground, and hold him where he couldn’t get me. not something i like doing, but my first thought was to avoid getting bitten again. I waited a few seconds, then I jumped up and backed away from him. he just looked at me, like he was unsure what to do. I just said ‘bed’ and he ran (head down and tail between his legs) off into his crate. I followed him and locked the door. I was in so much shock.

My face was so so sore, and is now extremely sore to touch and is a bit bruised and I have big red marks down my face from his teeth. My hand was also very sore, and a bit of skin on my finger was ripped off and was bleeding. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I decided to still take him on his walk, coz I thought it might calm him down. i wasn’t worried, or scared when I let him out. he came and sat in front of me, and looked so sad. I gave him a cuddle, and he licked me. he seemed so fine, and completely back to normal. So I got his harness on and off we went.

He was fab on the walk, he was enjoying having a good sniff about although when we headed home, he was pulling a lot so I think the cold might have been getting to him coz it was to me (my ears were so painful from the cold). All night he was great, back to his usual self. We had a good play and he had a wee nap snuggled up to me. he was just completely like my jake…

Then two hours ago, I went into the kitchen to make a cup of hot choco. I gave jake a tripe stick, which he quickly demolished and then went and lay on the couch, somewhere else he knows he isn’t allowed to be. Once I was finished in the kitchen, I called jake to follow me back to my room which is where he sleeps. But he wouldn’t come. I went into the living room and tried to coax him through (didn’t try treats though, which I am kicking myself for now!), but he was having none of it. so I put my hand out, and was going to tap him off the couch, going very slow and carefully after what happened this afternoon. But before I even managed to reach him, he just lunged at me. and grabbed my hand!

I immediately backed off, and tried to decide what to do… I wasn’t braved enough to try again so I had to improvise and make a muzzle. I used his lead, there was no way I was going to try again without him being safe from biting me. so I put the lead around his mouth, tight enough to keep it shut but not so tight it would hurt him. I then tried again to move him, and he went crazy! And I know if I hadn’t wrapped his mouth up, I would have been bitten… a lot. I immediately put him in his crate, and he has been in there since.

I never thought I would be scared of jake… but im scared to let him out. i definitely do not trust him to be out while I am asleep. I don’t know what to do… I don’t know why this happened… I think it might be a few things, this is so so out of character. He has problems with his eyes and ears just now.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=118128

so I was wondering if that could be getting painful, that is making him react this way… or that something else could be going on with him? or I was thinking it could be frustration from lack of exercise? He is getting walks, but not as many as he is used to and he isn’t getting offlead. I have been cutting his walks down coz everytime we come in from a walk, his eyes look worse and much sorer. Which, I would imagine if I had that, it would be extremely painful and nippy to be out in such cold. I just don’t get how both times he bit, it came so suddenly, out of nowhere and then it went just as fast…

My bf told me to feel him all over and see if there seems to be any painful areas, but I cant… I just cant… so he is coming round tomorrow and will help me. so maybe I will find he has some kind of pain, I don’t think I will though coz we were playing earlier and he was fine…

I just don’t know what to do… im in such shock. He is still in his crate, and is lying there quite happily, he had a wee sleep and now is lying giving himself a lick… its just so normal… i keep thinking of how he was this afternoon, and he looked so scared... but i dont know why. i just dont know.

i also feel bad for, 1. holding him down and 2. using his lead as a muzzle... i had to though, otherwise i would have been bitten again... i just keep crying my baby...
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 03:53 AM
oh hun, im so sorry for you. i wish i could give you some advice but im a bit rubbish at that! dont feel bad. you did what you had to do. but two bites in a day isnt normal. maybe you should get a vet to check him in case there is a medical reason for this. or if nothing wrong there, maybe a good behaviourist? im sorry if these are things you've already done, i just havent read about. stay strong and try to act as normal with him. remember, he's still your boy. big hugs to you both from me and Tilly. xxx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi Lauren,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been bitten and after reading some of your other posts on the board, I know it's completely out of character for Jake to behave this way. Firstly, please do NOT feel bad about holding onto him, holding him down or using his lead as a muzzle. We all know you don't do that sort of thing normally and you absolutely had to ensure you weren't bitten again.

You say he has problems right now with his eyes and ears? (Sorry I can't aaccess the Dogsey link you've attached). It could be that he is in some pain or feeling some discomfort and for whatever reason, cannot hear you properly so doesn't know what commands you're giving him. Although, if he can't see properly then suddenly he realises something is near his rear end, even though YOU know it's only your hand and you won't hurt him, maybe that's not registering with him at the moment.
It could also be that if he's not well anyway, the cold could be iritating what's wrong with him.

Please don't ask your BF to help check him over. I think in the first instance you should take Jake to the vet to rule out any other condition he may be suffering from physically. They can examine him properly and if you explain what happened, they should have muzzles there that will fit him properly and you will all be safe during the examination. Also bear in mind that muzzles are used also for the dog's safety, not just for ours. So you're not doing anything bad by using a muzzle (I felt incredibly guilty the first time I used one).
If you and your BF try to check him over you both risk being badly bitten if he turns and that doesn't bear thinking about.

Over the next week or so, I'd also recommend closing the door to your parents bedroom and any other room he shouldn't have access to. If he gets on the sofa and isn't usually allowed to then use treats or toys (whatever gets his attention) to get him down and reward him when he's dne as he's been told. Allow him to have a little more of his own space but still play with him and walk him, feed him etc as usual.
Invest in a muzzle. Put it on Jake at different times so that he doesn't think anything bad is going to happen to him. This is what I've had to do with my big GSD. it means I can take him to the vet and he's happy to wear the muzzle. He can't kill the vet (tempting as it is) and he gets rewarded afterwards for wearign it. it takes a little bit of the anxiety away for the dog, owner and vet too.

Finally, try not to feel apprehensive around Jake. He's still your loony pup who loves you to bits. When he bit you he obviously knew he's done wrong but probably didn't knwo why. I know it's hard but try to act normally and feel the same as you usualyl do inside. NO matter how good you are at hiding body language, Jake will pick up on how yo'r really feeling. And only cuddle him when he comes to you. Don't approach him fo ra cuddle or pick him up.

It could be any one of a hundred things that are giong onthat's set him off . Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it quickly.

Laura xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Oh Chick, that is a horrid day you had with Jake. I am no expert on this but you sounded like you dealt with it as you had to and doesnt sound like the wrong thing, if it is a random act of a dog you know well it can be such a shock and bewildering, firstly he is at a challenging age so he could be trying to push the limit, but since he has been having trouble with his ears and eyes of late and is on medication it could be they are hurting him causing his unusual behaviour in him. It would be worth another vet visit as you said they were getting worse rather than better (maybe a different one that you can get a second opinion off)
As for being on beds maybe it is worth keeping him off yours for the time being as well, so there can be no confusion on what bed to hop on and what bed not to. It sounds safer to go back to crating him for a bit anyway.
I am sure someone will be able to help you more than me.
Massive hugs to you, you did the best you could with the shock of it, I hope tomorrow brings you some new light on the situation.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-01-2010, 06:23 AM
sounds like he will need very firm consistent rules - if he's not allowed on one bed he's not allowed on any

if he misbehaves, maybe try to encourage him to off the couch/bed with a treat; if he refuses ignore him completely
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 07:35 AM
So sorry to read this...as it is completely out of character and he has been having trouble with his ears and eyes I would get him off to the vets as soon as possible for a thorough check up. I had an ear infection once and it made me very disorientated...if he is feeling that way then it could account for his actions.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, it must be so upsetting and frightening for you. xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree with the Sheree get him to a vet. He is under the weather you say with his ears and eyes being sore so that is probably the cause.

Ollie has always been funny right from a pup about people walking over him if he is the way when he is sleeping he will growl or snap but never make contact this is his nature he is a nervous dog we accept it and find another way round it. Call him gently and wake him first or use treats he is nearly 4 now and he has never bitten.

I wouldn't say he is pushing the boundaries this sounds like he is feeling unwell. Might be wise for you and your boyfriend not to push the boundaries with him by feeling him all over let the vet take a look and see what they say.

Sorry you are feeling this way I had a dog that use too bite me but thats another story and it doesn't sound like the problem I had with her either.

Good luck let us know how you get on.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 07:53 AM
*hugs* for you hon, you must be feeling so strange xx
First off, you're not alone - I've been bitten by Missy and I know you can lose trust if you're not careful. (Mine was over a lamb chop I decided to liberate from her mouth!)

This is out of character for Jake, you know that. Hang on to that.
Get to the vet in case Jake needs pain meds for his condition.
Agree totally, consistent rules. All beds allowed - or no beds.
When you feel able- some on/off training. Make it fun, use the sofa or a pouffe to start and use treats and happy voices. Eventually all off/ on will be seen as a game.

Don't feel bad for what you had to do - its done and gone. Jake is no worse for it.
Deep breaths honey - and make the first stop the vet. Pain can make the most tolerant dog intolerant.
*hugs*
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
There are a few things happening here.

* 1stly your relationship will have suffered abiit due to
a. the recall thingy &
b.you are recently feeling down about your personal life, so if you are feeling down in general he may not KNOW how to behave any more, he may feel unsure of how you are going to recact. My dogs for instance react to be upset very differently , Mav tries to get in my skin hes so close & flynn hides.

* His skin is really really itchy, Its wet & weepy because hes got over active mites nibbling away at him. That must be driving him Crazy!!!!! Thats not his fault, He needs some advocate now, Did the vet give hiom a skin scrape? are the ear drops working?

* hes got mixed messages, ie hes allowed on your bed but not your parents. Thats not his fault.

* training issues, Not getting off a bed, just like not recalling is a training issue. This dog needs training, thats also not his fault.

So my reading of the situation is this:
The dog is feeling very uncomfy & sore, his owner has changed recently so hes lost abit of faith in you , then you ask him & punish him for something he dosent understand.

Lozzi, you have to get this dog to training class & you have to get his skin treated.

Ive been abit blunt in this post ,sorry. But Biting owners is not acceptable & i dont want the dog blamed ,PTS, labeled dangerous etc when its really not his fault.

Sorry if ive upset you, but in this instance i will tell it how it is (or at least how i see it) for the dogs sake.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
There are a few things happening here.

* 1stly your relationship will have suffered abiit due to
a. the recall thingy &
b.you are recently feeling down about your personal life, so if you are feeling down in general he may not KNOW how to behave any more, he may feel unsure of how you are going to recact. My dogs for instance react to be upset very differently , Mav tries to get in my skin hes so close & flynn hides.

* His skin is really really itchy, Its wet & weepy because hes got over active mites nibbling away at him. That must be driving him Crazy!!!!! Thats not his fault, He needs some advocate now, Did the vet give hiom a skin scrape? are the ear drops working?

* hes got mixed messages, ie hes allowed on your bed but not your parents. Thats not his fault.

* training issues, Not getting off a bed, just like not recalling is a training issue. This dog needs training, thats also not his fault.

So my reading of the situation is this:
The dog is feeling very uncomfy & sore, his owner has changed recently so hes lost abit of faith in you , then you ask him & punish him for something he dosent understand.

Lozzi, you have to get this dog to training class & you have to get his skin treated.

Ive been abit blunt in this post ,sorry. But Biting owners is not acceptable & i dont want the dog blamed ,PTS, labeled dangerous etc when its really not his fault.

Sorry if ive upset you, but in this instance i will tell it how it is (or at least how i see it) for the dogs sake.
First of all have a hug.(Lozzi not Mish but Mish can have one if she wants !!!)
Second...well I agree with absolutely everything that Mish has said and had been reading the thread wondering how I could phrase it.

The two biting incidents happened when you tried to move him. He will have given you a warning but you may not have understood it (ears back, pushing himself further into the sofa...or even just freezing). He wants to be on the sofa/bed and he doesn't want you to stop him. You said youself that you should have used treats...you know how to do it,but sometimes when faced by new situations we panic huh? Have a hug.
I would stop him going on beds and sofas...it is very hard for a dog to know he can go on one bed but not another. Let him sleep in his crate, with his medical issues it is probably best he has his own space right now anyway.Don't let him on beds...keep the doors shut to the bedrooms. Keep temptation out of his way. If he does get up, don't say anything, just lure him off with tasty food...or head out of the room and go and make exciting noises elsewhere (my dogs know the sound of their food cupboard and bowls for example).
As Mish said though...his recall training here is also vital as if his recall was ok you could go into another room and call him and reward him for coming...

I do agree with Mish though, I think you need to get him to classes...if only so you have someone you can speak to face to face.

http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area....%20Lanarkshire

Don't think Airdrie is too far from Motherwell (I have family up and aound that area!!!) Could you get to see this lady? If not she may know someone closer to you that could help????

Good luck.
Remember he has bitten you for a reason (well a few...as Mish outlined) but the main trigger was the moving him off what he sees as his bed...he has not suddenly turned into a mad aggressive dog foaming at the mouth. He has done this for a reason. You now HAVE to sort it all out,that will take a while, you need to be patient/understanding/kind/ consistent. It is fairly easy to sort at this stage...but you have to sort it now.

Good luck xxxx
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »