Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2004, 09:26 PM

He won't stop licking us... Help!

Hey everyone, I posted this message at another dog message board, but they didn't really help. Not to say they didn't give good advice, but I didn't get very many opinions. Only two... So maybe you all can help me out.

I have a nine month old Siberian husky male who is not neutered. He seems to be very submissive....

He licks! All the time! Its not just friendly, wet kisses he gives, he insists on licking any part of a human body that comes near him.

When a person reaches out to pet Houdini's head, that person's hand is soon covered in saliva. The often causes the person to avoid petting Houdini. If Houdini is sitting near a person who doesn't have any shoes or socks on and he can't lick their hands, he reaches down and begins to lick their toes!

This is very annoying because my two year old girl, Kieron, enjoys long pets and massages. She doesn't lick but instead sits in front of you enjoying the attention. I wish I could just get Houdini to stop licking me because it makes me not want to touch him.

I'd really rather have him be like Kieron, sitting in front of me and keeping his tongue inside his mouth and allowing me to give him all the attention he really deserves.

Keep in mind though, sweet, gentle kisses are not minded by anyone! But when Houdini licks, he licks roughly and insists on doing it. He hardly takes no for an answer.

Can anyone provide any suggestions or ideas as to why he does this? The people from the other board suggested he was just being very submissive... What do you all think?

-Tara
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

07-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi Tara

Rocky LOVES licking too but I think he is just greedy because he licks anything that might have some 'taste'. He even licks the hinges on the door in his crate as I guess he likes the taste of the 'oil' he's mad! I think however he might now need telling off as another thing he used to do was go to 'nip' you on the hand, at first we didnt mind cos he was small but as now he is getting bigger we thought we better put a stop to that and tell him off when he does it - fairplay he's pretty much stopped it now. (still licks tho!)

If u find a cure please let me kno too!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Tara, If you watch a group of dogs together you will see they lick each other a lot, I have also noted the top bitch in a kennel seemed to be licked more than the others. I would assume it is part of grooming/pack activity. Perhaps Houdini also likes the slightly salty taste he gets when licking your skin? I have had the same problem before and while you can not altogether stop what is a natural action you can reduce it this way

Houdini likes being stroked, stroke him on the the back of his shoulders or in a place where he can not easily lick you keeping your other hand away.Tell him in a soft voice he is a good boy. Now move your hand around to where he can more easily lick you like his chest area and as soon as he does remove your hand with a sharp no! Wait a couple of mins. then repeat it all again. He will soon learn that as soon as soon as he licks you the 'reward' of being stroked is removed .
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Might help http://www.perfectpaws.com/lick.html
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 11:04 AM
that is a really good link shadowboxer :smt023
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
That is a good link shadowboxer

I had the same problem with Tigger licking. What I did was kind of put my hand over his mouth and turn his head saying no lick. After a while of doing this it's helped. He hasn't stopped licking, but I can kind of get him to lessen it

My friends and family hate it. My mother was sitting in a dining chair one day and Tigger came up behind her and started licking her hair! Let's just say my mother wasn't happy, lol.

I like the licking thing a little because when people come over they sometimes refer to Tigger as the Ox. I then order him to give them kisses, and he does He's actually held people down on the ground and licked their faces until I've released them lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
I agree with you mini ........ it's a top dog thing
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by inca
I agree with you mini ........ it's a top dog thing
That would make sense. When I had the Presa that I was watching, he would get really mad when Tigger licked his ears. Now Tigger gets annoyed when Savannah licks his ears. Hmmm... I never thought of it like that.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Lucy does the exact same thing. Thanks for bringing this up.

Shadowboxer, that was a great link.