Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Shona, he basically has a problem with the following:

1. Unable to settle in the home - scratches and gnaws at walls and coffee table in frustration, doesn't like going on bed or in crate. Gets over tired and over excited and doesn't know how to switch off. I have to stroke him soothingly or time him out in kitchen to settle him almost every night.

2. If told to do something he doesn't want to do, like get off sofa/bed etc he will growl and then bite, bearing teeth and gums.

3. Food aggression - unable to go near him when eating and get knuckle bones or denta stix (now banned) off him, if necc as he bites us.

4. He also barks at us when over excited and being told to do something he doesn't want to do.

The biting is the scary bit as it's now got quite bad.
Pidge,
He sounds a bit like our Bara was when she first came to us. She had been rejected by her first owners. Re. your points:-

1) FWIW I think this is mostly an age thing and will definately improve as he gets older

2) Have you tried growling back at him and then ignoring him.

3) This might upset a few people but why even try to remove food, bones, etc. the're his and IMO he should be allowed to keep them. FWIW I wouldn't ever try to remove a bone from Bara unless it was an old one she had finished with.

4) Rianna barks when in play mode, and growls too, there are (I'm told) ten types of bark and each has a specific meaning.

Occassionaly when playing with Bara she'll have a go at me but although she has her jaws across my arm she doesn't 'close' and at that point I always calm things down.

Bara is now 4 years 6 months and is a different dog to what she was at 1 year old so I do believe all the people above who've said he will get better, but it won't be an overnight thing and (at the risk of being shot at) I would say that anyone expecting their rebelious teenage son to change overnight is being unrealistic, same goes for dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Forgot to say that I would also be taking up Shona's very kind offer. Maybe some time away would do you both some good?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh Pidge... 7 months is so young - really.

I was shocked by Takara's relentless energy and even dalmatian breeders, showers and rescuers thought she was mental!

I am constantly amazed by puppies who come to my training classes and just lay down by their owners and think 'why wasn't she like that?' (actually, she's still not like that in class!)

But she's now 4, comes to the shop with me all day every day and lays under the counter has two walks a day either side and then lays down at home (unless she's in the lounge and then she just pesters the hamsters).

I was convinced she had ADHD and her nickname of Psychobitch has stuck

To be honest - we've had a few problems of late and we're going right back to square one with her. I relaxed on her when lots of people told me I was too strict but it's no good - she needs me to be so we've gone back to that.

Besides which - they go through a funny phase at that age when they stop being little pain in the bum puppies and become total rat bag teenagers! You'll get there

I was thinking 'I can't work her out, how am I going to spend another 10 years with her how she is?' only yesterday but it gave me a boot up the bum to go and work with her again and do you know what? it worked - she was fab!

I must admit I find that serene-um really helps with Takara's training and her reactivity towards other dogs. Have you tried anything like that?
Also if there is anything really really wrong - a vet should be able to pick up on anything neurological.

You'll have good times and bad times - you'll have set backs and leaps forward, you'll laugh and you'll cry but it'll all be worth it eventually

Keep your chin up and feel free to pm me if you need to x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

Pidge - what you`ve described is perfectly usual behaviour for a young dog pushing the boundaries. If your behaviourist can`t handle these issues they need to get a different job.

If your dog is aggressive round bones don`t give him bones.
Try NILIF - keep a house lead on him and insist on a sit-stay or a Down before he gets anything -even a stroke.
If he is hyper, address the food first - cut out all additives or colouring, then look at sensitivity.
Also - he is doing a really good job of training you by the sound of it. If you are calm and refuse him attention, he will stop demanding it. Eventually. If he chews your coffee table, put him in his bed with a chew - calmly.
Bright dogs test you. But then - did you really want a thick one?
Great post.

Takara's never had food aggression with people but location guarding was an issue she had - now sorted.

Recently she's become a little madam on walks and has become very intolerant of other dogs she meets. We've gone back to NILIF. We used to do it and I was told I was too strict with her so I stopped it. Since then her focus is less and less on me and more on her environment, becoming hypervigilant and really not good with other dogs.

ClaireandDaisy's right - bright dogs test you. Takara tests me! Last night was our first night after starting back on NILIF and whilst she was great on her walk, she really pushed it in the evening. I decided the only way she would settle is to give her a time out in the kitchen!

So even at nearly 4, Takara still gets the odd time out (as a pup they were rather more frequent!)
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Occassionaly when playing with Bara she'll have a go at me but although she has her jaws across my arm she doesn't 'close' and at that point I always calm things down.
I was wondering about this too Losos. It sounds as if things with Woody are really wearing you down at the moment Pidge and I guess all the different trainers/behaviourists/advice from Dogsey is possibly very overwhelming.

RE the biting, is he actually biting you - i.e. breaking the skin, injuring you - or could it be mouthing? All the dogs I've had (apart from one) have mouthed me during play. Bryan used to do it a lot when he was a puppy, but not so much now.

Puppies mouth a lot sometimes - it's their way of playing and exploring the world.

But if it's proper biting - meant to cause you harm - then that must be really difficult for you and for me, I would be finding it hard to trust Woody.

I hope you are ok x
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
First of all huge hugs xxx

Woody does sound like a lively, intelligent young dog, who is testing the boundaries to me maybe he is a bit confused of what is required too?

Pidge it does sound like an age thing,Mack had some really loony days, and thank God I think most are behind us now Meg did too, though not quite so full on

Without critising you, maybe Woody needs more to do? needs to go training as in Gundogs training, he sounds like he has a big work drive, and the behaviour is a way of him using his ensrgy, working his brain. He is only a baby, and is coping with finding his feet in the world, and has recently been castrated from what I read, so he needs time to settle down lots of male dogs go a bit nuts at this age.
I grew up with collies and springers, and one of them really springs to mind reading your posts, with maturity, I think he was my Dads best gundog

I think everyone on this board has had crap days with their dogs, and weeks too, but hang in there, I think with age, consistency,boundaries and something for him to do, not just obedience and walks etc he will be a fab boy XXXXXX

Huge hugs and to Woody too xxx
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Not much to add to so much advice and experience. And I have never had to deal with puppies (although Muttley has possibly tried to discipline them using dog methods). I have not had problems with food aggression, and maybe I have just been lucky. But I make sure that Muttley waits patiently as I prepare and set down his food, and I also have him sit while I eat and I will occasionally hand feed him bits of food, and let him have scraps after I am finished.

There is an interesting video showing how a group of puppies will sort out their relative status when given a single bone, and yet will defer to the human handler. It is on a web page about dog fights, and there is other good information there that is good to know.
http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

Best of luck to you. It can be overwhelming with multiple problems but you seem determined enough to succeed. A confident attitude is almost everything!
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry Em i've only just seen this one. Springers are not my breed and i dont want to try and advise you, but i can imagine how you must be feeling.

I know although we are just round the corner we havent had a chance to catch up yet and go on that walk, so you dont know me or my dogs. Im happy to do what i can to help if you want me too, be it just the walk we are trying to arrange, or if you want me to dogsit for a few hours here and there to give you a break. I just need the next couple of days to sort out a situation with our foster dog, but send me a pm and we'll talk about it.

Alexa
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey Pidge

Am not going to offload tons more advice on you as you have been given plenty of (great!) advice already on this thread and i don't want to overburden you. Just wanted to give you big hugs and try and see what we are all saying - this is not last days here, there is a massive potential for turn around, jsut try hard to not lose faith. And believe me I know how hard that can be! I love my dogs but they can be very tiring mentally and physically even without bigger behavioural issues.
I am here if you want to chat - just PM me.

x
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Off topic posts moved here

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=106382
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 44 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »