Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Poor you
I totaly know what it feels like - I have hugged Mia close to me and shed a few tears of frustration that she can be such an angel some times and a monster at others

If you can get a behaviourist then it would be a big help. Know what you mean tho cos there are some real dodgy ones out there - speak to them indepth about the kind of trainer they are and what methods they use

At the point when they are going mental and wont take treats or anything they are past the point when you can train them
What I have been doing is several things
Doing lots of training in different situations so she gets used to working with me
Going to classes (as Mia is dog agressive I spent the 1st 2 weeks just stuffing treats in her face at the back of the class)
teaching an alternative behaviour - for Mia I get her to sit and look at me while the thing she dosent like is passing her

and most important, trying to spot when she is going to go mental before she does and giving her lots of treats for being calm before she gets the chance to go mental

and when I get it wrong just keeping calm and waiting until she is able to focus on me again and rewarding the calm behaviour

I know it is difficult if she seems a little unpredictable but if for a week or so if you have lots of yummy treats in your pocket and every time anyone comes past get her to look at you and treat her lots - then she should learn that when she sees people she gets treats, then she starts thinking nice things of them

I have heard the book 'control unleashed' is really good for getting a reactive dog to focus
I am still trying to get a hold of it, but lots of people who train border collies recomend it

<<<hugs>>>> I know it is frustaiting but they are smart dogs so if you get ontop of it you will see improvments
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 08:21 PM
It sounds as if poppy is in need of more training,& something for her to focas on & id walk her on a double lead, mainly on a harness or collar, but have a Halti head collar on also this will inable u to take control of her head. You say shes better out with your other dog because she focases on him, well there is part of your answer, she needs something to focas on (ie not the bikes cars etc) & thats you!
However you also need to let her herd something, id suggest a bally, or frisbee. To help her fulfil her desires!!!!

If you get her really switched onto this May take a few weeks, in a safe places, fisrtly garden etc, then when you walk her teach her to carry it. Then when you get to the park you can play & le her do her herding on her toy to her hearts content.

Also teach her a "leave" it command, id teach this in the house on food (as long as she has no food guarding issues of course) then you can take this command out & apply it to whatever you need to.

1.switch the obsession (toys)
2.get more control (halti & general training)
3.get more focas on you (training)

Try not to put her in a dodgey situation again for a while till you have sussed out your action plan, & id NOT recommend flooding this dog in any way, as it will make her obsession worse.

Hugs for you, when nellie was younger ,she got obsessed with people putting poo into the dog bins, only when out with my mum (?????mothers) she ripped someones jeans once. It is overcomeable, just think "border collie"
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 08:29 PM
hiya
just wanted to offer a hug for good luck.

Avoid Barkbusters I used them for bruno and it was like throwing my money into the wind and they made him worse.

dani
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
It sounds as if poppy is in need of more training,& something for her to focas on & id walk her on a double lead, mainly on a harness or collar, but have a Halti head collar on also this will inable u to take control of her head. You say shes better out with your other dog because she focases on him, well there is part of your answer, she needs something to focas on (ie not the bikes cars etc) & thats you!
However you also need to let her herd something, id suggest a bally, or frisbee. To help her fulfil her desires!!!!

If you get her really switched onto this May take a few weeks, in a safe places, fisrtly garden etc, then when you walk her teach her to carry it. Then when you get to the park you can play & le her do her herding on her toy to her hearts content.

Also teach her a "leave" it command, id teach this in the house on food (as long as she has no food guarding issues of course) then you can take this command out & apply it to whatever you need to.

Try not to put her in a dodgey situation again for a while till you have sussed out your action plan, & id NOT recommend flooding this dog in any way, as it will make her obsession worse.

Hugs for you, when nellie was younger ,she got obsessed with people putting poo into the dog bins, only when out with my mum (?????mothers) she ripped someones jeans once. It is overcomeable, just think "border collie"
Have to say Elaine I think this is a excellent post.

We had the obsession with Bruce over Skye, infact he became very deaf........

We went down ''his ball'' route, it lessened and lessened but with time and patience. I got Pat to take Skye off and I worked with Bruce on 5 mins intervals with ''his ball''.

As for the lunging, Skye did that from early age, people, cycles, people running, cars etc., I used a training lead with collar and harness. Now she is told to ''down'' when bikes go past and she ''Leaves'' I think Mishflynn has given excellent advice, Poppy has a much more higher herding instince than Ben (as Skye does more then Bruce) with Skye her's has been put to ''job use'' ie It's her job to get letters, her job to herd the rabbit/guinea pigs etc., and her job to know ''Leave'' as bike are (to her) a herding thing so nipping is instinctive.

I agree about not flooding as this will only increase Poppy's instinct, I wish you were nearer, we could interact her with these.

I would also take her to training class, she needs to be removed from Ben if only for short time periods to work on herself and working with you not against you.

Best of luck Hun xxxxxxxxxxxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:05 PM
{{{Hugs}}} I hope you manage to find some help for Poppy x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Pam, that is really useful and it helps to know your not on your own, you see we had none of this with Ben, yea we had the chewing and the bike chasing, but we sorted that, Maybe because there are two it makes it more difficult to focus on just one at a time. As I say when she's out with Ben she is more often than not focused on him, and in a weird way I dont want her to be that way either if you know what I mean.
Elaine x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Have to say Elaine I think this is a excellent post.

We had the obsession with Bruce over Skye, infact he became very deaf........

We went down ''his ball'' route, it lessened and lessened but with time and patience. I got Pat to take Skye off and I worked with Bruce on 5 mins intervals with ''his ball''.

As for the lunging, Skye did that from early age, people, cycles, people running, cars etc., I used a training lead with collar and harness. Now she is told to ''down'' when bikes go past and she ''Leaves'' I think Mishflynn has given excellent advice, Poppy has a much more higher herding instince than Ben (as Skye does more then Bruce) with Skye her's has been put to ''job use'' ie It's her job to get letters, her job to herd the rabbit/guinea pigs etc., and her job to know ''Leave'' as bike are (to her) a herding thing so nipping is instinctive.

I agree about not flooding as this will only increase Poppy's instinct, I wish you were nearer, we could interact her with these.

I would also take her to training class, she needs to be removed from Ben if only for short time periods to work on herself and working with you not against you.

Best of luck Hun xxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Steph I agree an excellent post, and yea I agree with everything that been said. I feel so stupid that I cant handle a tiny little thing like Poppy. Her herding instinct is so high you would not believe it. In the house she is so sweet. but outside this monster takes over. She sort of goes into a zone where she is constantly looking around for things, anything!!! and yet at the same time she will focus on me!! I dont know, maybe I am doing something wrong.
Elaine xx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

Thanks Mish, a wonderful post full of good ideas and you obviously know where I am coming from. I wish you and all the BC owners lived nearer to me.
Elaine xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Thanks Steph I agree an excellent post, and yea I agree with everything that been said. I feel so stupid that I cant handle a tiny little thing like Poppy. Her herding instinct is so high you would not believe it. In the house she is so sweet. but outside this monster takes over. She sort of goes into a zone where she is constantly looking around for things, anything!!! and yet at the same time she will focus on me!! I dont know, maybe I am doing something wrong.
Elaine xx
No your not hun, unfortunately she came from Farming Stock, like Skye and bruce. However Bruce hasn't got the instince like Skye, so when we are out with our three, we can take our eyes away from reah and Bruce (when the occassions arise) and we focus strictly on Skye, because we know she would be the one to round the cows, sheep or whatever up and look at us as if to say ''HOWS THAT''
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 10:03 PM
I can only offer you sympathy and this basic truth..

Tomorrow is another day.

There is a saying:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery but today is a gift, that's why they call it the present!

Take a deep breath, enjoy your massage, have another cup of tea and meet Poppy again for the first time in the morning...

No problem is insurmountable. You are a good dog person, you have offered some sage advice on this forum, this was just a bad day, on top of some other bad days, and it has got you rattled.

Back on the horse gal... Up in that saddle... You can do it

***Hugs***
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »