Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 05:32 AM

Pros and Cons of running a dog in Agility

Moxie is/was my first agility dog. Moxie took to it right off as grand fun. I didn't really enjoy it (I'm not much of a runaroundlikealooney as much as a sitonmyarsewatchingamovie type.) But we kept doing it because she loved it so much.

I recently read on another thread on Dogsey a comment to the effect of, No dog would choose to do agility. I completely and heartily disagree and mine most deffinatley would.

I have my own and know of lots of good reasons myself to run a dog in agility. It builds confidence, its fun, it's a good bonding experience for dog and owner, I could go on and on.

I have also heard the negagtives, its an un natural type of activity that can cause joint problems (easily avoided by not over training and over working, keep it fun) and it can be stressful for some breeds (simple, if the dog doesn't enjoy it, don't do it).

But I wondered where this idea came from that Agility was something we forced on our pets? What are some other reasons not to run your dog in agility?

Conversely, why do those of you that do run agility do it? What are the benefits that you have found for yourselves and your dogs?
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Indy was 3 years old when I started doing agility with her last year. Up until then we had tried a couple of different training classes, and although she was a star in puppy class, and ok young dog for obedience, we just never really "got it".. if you know what I mean. As soon as it became a tad more serious, and say, she would have to actually work for more than 20 seconds without being fed a treat, she just completely lost interest, and I wasn't good enough to motivate her either.
I started doing agility with the attitude, I'll only do it if she likes it, and she absolutely loves it! She is such a dim blonde at home, but at class her light bulp goes on, she is so focused on me, and really enjoys working. I love seeing her happy, and yes there is a certain degree of stress in it, but it is an excited kind of stress and she switches it off as soon as we are home.
We have done a couple of competitions, and she has done well, I don't have huge great ambitions on her behalf, I am happy to just take part, and my aim is always to have a good run, not necessarilly win or be placed, that is secondary to me. It is the work, the bonding, feeling my dog so focused on me (and occasionally not ), and seeing her so happy and enjoying herself, improving things she used to find difficult, the whole learning process, that does it for me. She makes me proud.
Each to their own I'd say. I used to show her when she was little, and as much as she loved it all just being about her, I could not bare going through one more looong boring day at a dog show. Too many wirdos at those places I'm afraid I am not a very tolerant person
I know lots of members here are really into showing, so it must be a case of finding what suits you best I suppose, without compromising the happiness and well being of your dog. In my case, it turned out to be the best thing I could have done for her!

(Indy is my belgian shepherd by the way).
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I think dogs differ like people. I show, but if one of the dogs I owned didn't like showing then I wouldn't show that dog, the same would apply to any dog sport, well for me anyway. If a dog didn't like agility then I wouldn't run it in agility.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Why did we take up agility - just because I wanted to have some fun with Max - he is my first Gordon and my first male dog and we have such a wonderful relationship.

I show two of my boys including Max, Max probably won't be doing so many champ shows this year - needs to mature a bit and I felt mean not having some special time with him like we do - he is still going to the opens because he loves it.

But by doing some agility means we have some extra time together - but if he didn't enjoy then we would find something else.

I would only ever do something that both me AND more importantly the dogs enjoy!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I started doing agility with my old boy about 7/8 years ago because he had lots of energy it was something else we could do together. we both enjoyed it but when i tried Ruby at 18 months she didnt like the noise her feet made on the contacts so i didn't pursue it untill recently when i found a new club closer to home and the fact that she's a real houdini and a climber thought we'd try it again this time she really liked it!
The only problem i have come across is when i do obedience and for example when doing a recall as soon as i make any movement with my arms she moves, i've put this down to me training agility using my arms allot for direction.

But I wondered where this idea came from that Agility was something we forced on our pets?
If i had to drag her over every obstacle i definatley wouldnt do but she gets soo excited and really loves doing it.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 03:20 PM
The only problem i have come across is when i do obedience and for example when doing a recall as soon as i make any movement with my arms she moves, i've put this down to me training agility using my arms allot for direction.
Similar problem to what im having - i started agility 2mths ago with my 3yr old dobe after being on the waiting list for a year!! Madison absolutly loves it and its helping to build her confidence, i couldnt make her do anything she didnt enjoy- all i have to say to her now is Tunnel and she gets really excited, but in obediance now she will do group stays but when i ask her to stay for a recall she follows me i thinks its down to the agility
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Muttzrule, great thread opener

You might want to make a brew to get you through what will undoubtedly be a Novel length post

When I started with my eldest it was because, as a very high work drive Collie unable to work sheep, [ he`s deaf ], he craved something to do with his mind as well as physical activity. Agility encompasses both, not just for himelf but for us as a team.
The increased bonding and understanding between handler and dog is incredible. The handler has to be patient, inventive, imaginative, and most of all fun or it just doesnt work.
When Defa started Agility, his world opened up for him, it gave him what he wanted to make him `whole`. At the age of 12 he loves it as much now as the first session which unlocked the doors to let his mind start really working for him.

Its not just a brain and energy release for the dogs but for the handlers too. Even the shyest handlers become louder, more exhubberant, and lose inhibitions about things like falling on our backsides in front of people, everyone laughs with a handler, not at one.

The atmosphere of training is so sociable for the handlers and the dogs, it is so encouraging, and builds handlers inner confidence generally about themselves, especially youngsters. It really can be therapeutic.
Try feeling down when your dog has jumped nicely off lead for the first time at training, or got a weave entry right for the first time, got their first perfect contact, and every other single element which instills pride in doing something with ones dog, and there are a bunch of people cheering you on because seeing others achieve something no matter how big or small gives them a rush of pleasure too !

An unnatural activity :
I would argue that elements in Agility are the same or similar to totally natural things which many dogs do.

A-Frame = dogs climbing a steep grassy bank or a sea wall slope at the beach

Dogwalk = going along a fallen treetruck

See-saw = anything a dog walks on which moves underfoot
[ which they often dont realise will move at the time, granted ]

Jumps = styles, fallen branches, garden fences / walls, car seats, anything else in the way of where a dog wants to go

Weaves = extremely exaggerated I admit but how many times do people dogs the wrong side of a lamp post or tree etc and the handler get tangled with the lead More ensibly, every time a dog goes through a partly opened door with a bending action, they are doing a partial weave movement.

Open Tunnel = any similar entrance a dog can`t help but want to investigate, commonly demonstrated by terriers charging in to rabbit holes

Flat tunnel = going under the bed covers and out the other end

Tyre = same as jumps, does`nt have to be a perfect circle, ie a gap in a fence or hedgerow, if the dog wants to get to the other side, through they`ll go !

Long Jump = anything long and low that a dog jumps over when out and about, or similarly jumping a ditch

Considering how similar so many elements are, an agility course or exercise simply offers the dog the opportunity to do what they naturally but in a safe manner qith guidence and confidence building.

How can it benefit dogs in that regard ?
Often there are traps in agility, where a dog is guided away from an obvious element. Out on a walk, the dog is about to leap something with a hidden danger which the handler spots in time. From agility training there is considerably more chance of being able to stop the dog safely because its something they have worked on together for quick responses and reflexes.

General training.
The most important thing imo is recall.
How many people tell a dog off for not recalling ?
Compare to agility where recall involves the dog getting to do something highly rewarding by following the handlers direction closely. Because agility should be fun, the dogs *want* to be near their handler, its made worthwhile for them to want to stay closer, to focus on their owner, waiting for the next cue, `willing` cues to come their way almost.
Many dogs which have been going to Obedience and never mastered recall go to Agility and find recall happening without them realising thats what they are doing.
Because of the fun and bonding it can often improve recall more than any other method or activity which carries over to walks and creates a safety which may not have been there othewise.

Health :
From our club handbook to save me typing it out, some snippets outlining benefits and precautions for the dogs` health and safety :

---------------------------
Fitness and Stamina will improve as well as mental capability as they learn various verbal and physical cues/signals.

Heart, lungs, musculature and circulation functions can benefit the general fitness of the dog.

If you have concerns in these regards, please consult your vet PRIOR to commencing agility, particularly if your dog is of a breed with high occurrences of hip or elbow dysplasia, heart murmur, or other known ailment.

If your vet feels certain parts of agility should be avoided for your dog, or that higher jumps are not suitable due to a physical problem, let your trainer know in order that it can be taken into account for your dogs needs, as he or she can still enjoy Agility even if unable to jump full height or do a particular piece of equipment on health grounds.

WHY CAN`T MY DOG DO AGILITY UNTIL A YEAR OLD?

A dog’s skeletal and muscular structure is not mature enough until this time for the physical demands of Agility. Starting too young can result, for instance, in greenstick fractures and damaged muscles. Weave poles can be harmful to an undeveloped dog due to the bending involved.

* If your dog is overweight and Agility is part of a dietary/exercise regime under your vets` advice, please ensure your trainer is made aware of this in order to ensure your dogs best interests during class.

* Your instructor will adhere to any constraints advised by your vet in terms of any long term condition already mentioned plus any other which may be relevant.

* Any dog appearing unfit for training at any time due to a temporary injury/sickness etc, will not be allowed to train at that time.

* Dogs must NOT be fed prior to class, as physical exercise after a meal can lead to Gastric Torsion, commonly known as Bloat.

-------------------

Is it ` cruel` or are dogs forced ?
Well, I cant speak for every other club but ours and probably most are along these lines for training methods, again from our booklet :

-----------------------
TRAINING METHODS

Agility is all about fun and that is the approach we take in the training [as it should be in ALL training, whether it is agility, formal obedience, or any other task a dog is learning].

Only positive methods are used at the Club.

WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED?

No handler will be allowed to use negative or forceful methods on their dog, such as hitting, shouting, jerking, or any other negative method of punishment.
The dog can only perform under the guidance of their handler, so if the dog makes an error, it is the handler who CAUSED the error!

Choke chains are forbidden at the Club due to the physical, as well as mental, damage they cause to a dog.

-------------------

With the calibre of most trainers, Agility is far safer as an activity for the dogs than what any dog can often face on any walk from things like broken glass, charging through a hedge and getting caught on wire or some other unseen danger / litter, etc etc

While injuries certainly could happen I`d hazard to say that there are probably more dogs regularly injured just by chasing sticks, [ which some people still do throw for them ] than there have been serious agility injuries since it began.
With agility and all the safety measures taken, in my experience as a handler, competitor, and an instructor of many years, the dogs are at less risk of injury than being taken for a pavement walk or anywhere with grass long enough to hide a shard of glass or rusty metal or discarded takeaway rubbish with bones in it or.........

I think that covers it mostly for how I feel about it.
You can wake up now guys
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Flat tunnel = going under the bed covers and out the other end
LOL or escaping underneath the awning whilst camping

The only obstacles i've had problems with Ruby is the tunnel she goes in then doubles back and comes out the same way!
she's was always walking on fallen logs and trying to scale my garden fence before she really did any training.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 09:06 PM
What a great thread and an excellent post from Patch . Agility for me and my dog has brought us together. Missy has very high energy levels and an extremely active mind ( is there a MENSA for dogs ? ). In the house , she constantly thinks up ways to get my attention . If one thing doesn't work , she tries another , and another , and another etc. Out on walks , she races around like she has a rocket up her bum . She launches herself off steep embankments , and if she sees a rabbit , she's off like a shot , twisting and turning after it like she's a bloomin rabbit herself . Once at the beach , she was trying to get my attention and I ignored her , so she ran quite far ahead , stopped , raced back towards me and slid into a sit right at my feet ! I couldn't stop laughing as I've never seen a dog do that before. She had made the decision herself that doing a recall WOULD get Mum's attention and boy did it work . She had a leg injury last summer. A fall on the beach knocked her patella out of place and she had to have surgery to stabilise it. After months of rest , restricted exercise and then talking to my vet , we agreed that she would be no more likely to aggravate the leg doing agility than she would on a " normal " off lead walk. In this respect , an agility course is a more " controlled " form of what my dog enjoys doing , racing about and leaping on , over and off anything in her path. At least on an agility course , the ground is level where on a walk , I don't know where her feet are going to land. We just started agility classes 3 weeks ago and the difference in her is outstanding. The constant attention seeking has calmed down. She is more relaxed and happy to sleep in front of the fire now , instead of fetching my shoes , coat and her lead every half hour . Not because she needed out but because doing that got her some attention . She thrives on training. She loves learning new things and she's the kind of dog who will bend over backwards to please me. Agility works very well for us as my dog is getting the physical and mental exercise she needs. She is learning something new and having fun doing so. She's getting the attention she craves for and she's happy because she sees that I am happy. .