View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Dog overweight, anyone feed light diets?

poor old porkie Sophie gets fed half the amount the others do and gets more walkies but is still so overweight ........anyone use light diet food ? I am at the mo giving her pasta and veg to bulk her meals .....
JMOP....will never spey another less medicaly required LOL
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Woody's on Beta light for the rest of his days I think! Like you he only gets half what it says on the bag, even though it's light! Guess he's just one of those dogs that doesn't need a lot to eat.

Doesn't stop me feeling guilty though. :smt090

I'm all for speying though, my last bitch nearly died from a closed pyo. Would rather have a chubby pooch than not at all!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2005, 07:30 PM
what about the Burns Oats? that is supposed to be good. Im sure someone on here has used it
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Inca - April was on Low Cal pedigree for the last five years of her life as she had an underactive thyrioid - I think it made her skin a bit dry and I did add some cod liver oil to it - but I got her down to 20 k from 25 [she was 19 when I got her]. I loved her dearly but she was a lazy, greedy little tyke - I bulked her diet out with veg and fed 1/4 of a tin twice a day with some dry food . I would probably try a different food now but it was too late to change April's diet
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Our first Cavalier was a porkie & on a light diet until he was a veteran when he went onto a senior diet which is similar to a light diet with additives for the heart & joints

Luckily JD, KC & Lou aren't real piggies & Abbie the GSD is on a senior diet too

Rjj is a skinny snakelike puppy & so active he burns off any extra cals

BTW Pasta puts on weight ! better to give chunky carrots etc to fill her up & feed twice a day(one of my vets suggested this)& it did work for our first cavalier & Lou has two meals a day
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
ta Jodee......... poor rofa looks like a sheep and weighs 24lb.......I feed twice a day anyway
RP this breed doses seem to suffer with weight after speying but of course we worry about hearts with them being over weight

thought about adding more veg like green beans and brocoli ?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
ta Jodee......... poor rofa looks like a sheep and weighs 24lb.......I feed twice a day anyway
RP this breed doses seem to suffer with weight after speying but of course we worry about hearts with them being over weight

thought about adding more veg like green beans and brocoli ?
I would think most veg would be a good thing. Just think about the "parp" factor though. Even little dogs can "parp" with the best of em!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
If she'll eat them & raw would be better than cooked they would need chopping up Don't chop up carrots too small tho as that would release more sugar !(can you tell I'm a diabetic very sugar aware !)

You might want to try her with a bit of raw meat like chicken wings they take longer for her too eat but she would be less hungry as the act of eating takes the edge of the hunger ! LOL you might want to start her off with a wing tip rather than a whole wing ! Rjj chomps his way tho' raw chicken bits & pigs trotters ! lovely firm p**s too )

how old is she? I know you've told me but my brain is like a sieve !

'Cos I could sent JD to stay & he could do his circuit training & hole digging with her even a bit on the tread mill !
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Roxy is on a diet too. Just cut back the amount I used to give her, and reduced her treats to just two small ones per day of the low fat jobbies. She's not impresssed, but since 5 Oct has lost 2lbs. Doesn't sound much, but I'm really pleased....slowly, slowly, catchie monkey!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 09:52 PM
just the thought of raw chicken wings makes me feel rather unwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >