Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Home cooked food and vitamins

Please could any one give advice regarding cooking dogs food and if vitamins should be added? My terrier x had stomach problems when came from rescue 3 years ago and was fed chappie on vets recommendation. However after the last bad bout of stomach probs I have given her boiled rice/fish/turkey/veg with a little probiotic powder on and she has been much better, but don't know if should be adding vitamins as well. Another option maybe would be to find a different dog food, have read fish4dogs is good and would be easier if traveling.
Many thanks for your help.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I've only heard very good things about fish4dogs .

We feed our dogs a meat, veg and other protein diet. But I add Salmon oil too for essential fatty omega acids that they can only get from their diet x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Thankyou
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Arden Grange is a good food too.

Also, if you did want to carry on with the home made diet, you could always buy a separate pet vitamin/mineral supplements and add them to the food. Or add this: http://www.poochandmutt.com/bionicbi...bionic-biotic/

We use Bionic Biotic for Storm and his coat is really, really shiny and his general health is really good.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I feed my 2 Kerry Blues on a home-cooked diet and they love it and are looking very healthy! They get either white fish, chicken, turkey mince or minced lamb plus brown rice or pasta and carrots and some sort of green veg each day.

Sometimes they get some hard-boiled egg and sometimes some tinned sardines too.

I have a book about feeding a home-cooked diet written by a vet and he says to get a multi-vitamin plus vitamin E, I think, I will have to check it out as I have left the book at work.

I get stuff reduced from Waitrose so it doesn't work out too astronomical in price. This week I got 3 trays of Duchy Organic minced lamb which was reduced from £3.69 to £1.09 a pack! Only "problem" is that hubby smells what is cooking in the slow-cooker for the dogs and says "I will have some of that too"!

Other problem is that my dogs have quite full beards so they get a bit messy (I am calling them "lamb-chops" at the moment!)

My dogs will still eat kibble as when we visit my Mum once a week that is what they have there, but they so much enjoy the other food I cook for them.

P.S- "Barking Heads" Salmon and Potato dog food is very good for sensitive tummies.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:39 PM
If you're going to feed a homecooked diet then I would recommend doing lots of research. A shortterm diet of rice and fish won't harm when used as an exclusion diet or to settle a tum, but longterm you may miss out on vital parts of the diet. Supplements are one way to top up bits that may be lacking but I think it's much better to give a diet that provides the majority of what your dog needs and consider supplements as a safety net, rather than rely on supplements to make up a good proportion of the dog's daily requirements.
There are a few raw feeding groups on Yahoo that are there to discuss all sorts of raw feeding methods and I'm sure questions relating to homecooked diets would be welcomed.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Thankyou for all your replies and info, it really helps, am waiting for some fish4dogs samples to arrive and will look at the other options too. I want to do what's best for my dog even if it means me living on Jacket spuds