Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Barking

Never really had a problem with barking before as we live in a first floor flat the only time mine bark is if someone knocks the door or the window cleaner appears at the windows. Now we have a holiday caravan and we have a problem - as they are not used to seeing people out the windows when they see people out of them they are going mad. Duncan is particularly bad, Mollie will stop if we hold her collar and say no but he is so over excited he is biting the hand that reaches for him Any kind ideas to stop this as it is driving us mad and can't be nice for the other holiday makers to have to creep past trying to silently get to their destinations without waking my barkers.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 01:40 PM
A trailing line on him so you can reel him in and not get bitten? I don't have much experience of barkers, my dog is virtually mute. That was my first thought though.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:03 PM
i have a barker, she will bark at anything. currenty working on it with very little luck. hope you have better luck than me as i know how horrible it is
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
A trailing line on him so you can reel him in and not get bitten? I don't have much experience of barkers, my dog is virtually mute. That was my first thought though.
Yes we were trying that last week - well I was hubby wasn't keen as he kept tripping over it. We need to work together or I know it won't work.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:35 PM
The problem you have is similar to the one of the postman.

The dog see people approach, they bark (for whatever reason) and then they see people go away.

Their logic tells em that it is their barking that removes them, which is flawed but it does not really matter.

Normally you try and prevent the dog from the stimulus that triggers it, not practical in your situation so you need to teach the dogs a) an incompatible behaviour and b) to bark on command and to be quiet on command.

This may help

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...nicbarking.htm
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Thank you ! We will both give it a go.