View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Can I have a slightly less intelligent dog please?

...okay the title isn't serious...

But for the last couple of weeks the main thing we have been training at the park is "stop" (ie, stop where you are and sit down).

He has been getting this really well.

I say it randomly all the time, whether there is people in the park or not, and him on lead or not, sometimes gets put back on the lead, sometimes not.

This was because he has a bad habit of running to greet any other dog he fancies.... and becoming suddenly "deaf".

If I spot a dog coming in before he does i say stop, and put the lead on. This was going great...

We were in the park today (noone else there), and what I have noticed is that when I say stop, he does, BUT he always has a quick check of the 3 entrances to the park before he sits down!!

So it is like he will stop and sit down AS LONG as there isn't someone coming in at the same time to go and see!!

Gonna have to be really quick with this one it seems!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Ha ha -he sounds like Parker!
When I tell Parker "WAIT" because I want to put his lead on, he stops but scans all round him in case he's missed something he might want to go and investigate the naughty boy!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
When I tell Parker "WAIT" because I want to put his lead on, he stops but scans all round him in case he's missed something he might want to go and investigate the naughty boy!
Oh yes - commonly known as eyes in the rear end syndrome!!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Haha yes that's the one!! Its like "I will just have a quick check incase I can go and have a play BEFORE the lead goes back on"
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Well.. Have you tried reinforcing it elsewhere?

I randomly ask mine to "wait". Going out of the room, down a well used track, somewhere new etc. They now just stop dead. It doesn't mean anything is happening, it just means I'm on a training mission. Really boring! But it is ingrained
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Well.. Have you tried reinforcing it elsewhere?

I randomly ask mine to "wait". Going out of the room, down a well used track, somewhere new etc. They now just stop dead. It doesn't mean anything is happening, it just means I'm on a training mission. Really boring! But it is ingrained
I do actually - that is why it is bizarre!
Whether it be in the house, in the garden, down the street, whatever walk we are on, etc etc. But he knows the local park so well he seems to see it as just a large garden tbh lol
So training always takes longer there than anywhere else - but stick at it and he is getting loads better... just funny how he has a quick check in case there is a reason i have told him to stop in the park
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:14 PM
You have basically got then! Just make the park boring. Take them, look round, say how boring, and go home. Take them, have a small walk, go home. Take them, look round, say how boring, go home. etc.