Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Doesn't like getting in the car

I wondered if anyone can help me with getting Eddie in the car. He has always hated getting in the car but we got round it by throwing bits of sausage in and he got in after them. This is not working now. I really needed him in the car for his walk today but ended up walking him to the footpath. I chucked the sausage in and he lay down on his side next to the car and stared at the sky as if he was somewhere else. I tried to put my hands under him but he was all floppy and I couldn't handle him. He used to be sick in the car when he was tiny and I am thinking this is why he doesn't like it. As soon as I shut the car door and picked up his lead he was all happy and wanting to get going. So I suppose I have taught him now that if he doesn't want to get in the car all he has to do is 'play dead'.

Anyone else had this happen?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Oh dear sorry to laugh Anna but I can just picture Eddie playing dead until the car door was closed ..

All I can suggest is to attempt to get Eddie to associate the car with good things. Try feeding him in the car, throwing his favourite toy in, playing with him in there, calling him in to receive a high value treat like slivers of chicken. It may take some time...
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Oh dear sorry to laugh Anna but I can just picture Eddie playing dead until the car door was closed ..

All I can suggest is to attempt to get Eddie to associate the car with good things. Try feeding him in the car, throwing his favourite toy in, playing with him in there, calling him in to receive a high value treat like slivers of chicken. It may take some time...
Im not going to be any help but i do sympathise, we have this exact same problem with Connie, she wont even walk in the direction of the car, so much so that we have to go the long way around our houses just to go anywhere
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Not had this problem with dogs- but plenty with horses!! (not cars but horseboxes)

The way to fix it with horses is to load them into the horsebox daily- without even going anywhere, feed them in there, stay in there with them, leave them on their own, take them in and out, let them sleep in there if you have time, more than once a day if you have time.....until they are so used to it it is a second home.....
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:32 PM
i have this problem too
ive tried throwing a toy in or luring her with treats and it doesnt help i have to resort to lifting her in but im struggling to lift her now as shes getting so big
ruby is occassionally sick in the car aswel so i think this may be something to do with it, as whenever she goes out in the car its for walks somewhere so nothing bad has happened to her in there
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:37 PM
It's OK, it is funny He has me all worked out and knows how to play me. I have never had such opposition to training He has such a lovely face and kind eyes and I know he thinks oh I wont do this, she wont mind.

Thanks for the advice. I will try putting his meal in the back of the car tomorrow. He will probably think I am not getting in there for that then she will get all worried and give me another meal.

Glad I am not the only one though and thanks for the replies.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Eddie is too big to lift in now. When I tried to lift him in he gave little squeaks just to let everyone know how horrible I am to him. Then he 'played dead' and got his own way again.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Im not going to be any help but i do sympathise, we have this exact same problem with Connie, she wont even walk in the direction of the car, so much so that we have to go the long way around our houses just to go anywhere
I know, I will be the same, walking him everywhere When I need to get him to the vets I will have to get someone to help me.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 10:21 AM
We had this problem with Ben, it's sort of sorted now, but he will always prefer walking than the car.

He is getting better as he now associates the car with nice things, His longest journey to date was a trip to see Steph (youngstevie) and I must say he was fine.

The first time we took him out as soon as he saw the car park he did a runner, slipped his collar and OH had to carry him to the car

It just takes time and patience, we would sit in the car with him with the radio on and the engine running then get out and praise him...we did this for weeks and weeks until eventually he saw that the car was ok'ish, then short journeys with a nice walk after and when we get home a nice treat too. I think having Poppy has helped because he sees that she is not scared of the car. Although as I said it's not 100% yet, but were getting there.

So it's a case of patience patience patience hun xxxxxx

ETA: I think your right about the being sick in the car. When we picked Ben up from the rescue he was sick loads in the car coming home, so I think he was just scared and it took him a while to get over that.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2009, 11:25 AM
We use to have this problem with our newfiexberner we weren't able to fix it in the time we had her. she had to go back to breeder for other reasons and I do know with a lot of time and patience Sam who took her over solved the problem.

Ollie my bernese is much the same not as bad but we do the higher value treats in the boot and he wears a ruff-wear harness search and rescue type of harness it has a lifting handle and if he is being stubborn we take the handle place his front paws on the bumper then he jumps in no problems.

If your dog use to be sick he may still feel unwell when traveling a small piece of ginger biscuit will help to settle his tummy when traveling he may well get in for that treat too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >