Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:58 AM

When your dog doesn't like it...

What do you do when your dog turns up his nose at the lovely raw meat that you've scored? I found some mega reduced veal in the super-market last week with a use-by date for the following day. It is cut into large chunks and I separated it out into meal-sized portions and froze it. However, my darling (insert sarcastic voice) puppy will not touch it! I've offered it defrosted, frozen, cut up small (he's still cutting some molars so I wondered if he didn't want to chew). I tried sprinkling parmesan cheese on it but he still won't even try. It does not smell off (no smell at all).
Any ideas? He's willing to skip many meals rather than eat it but since he's still growing I don't want him to do this too often.

I recognise that he may simply really not like veal and I won't buy it again; but until I go shopping again it is all I have left, other than chicken thighs, and they alone will give too much bone!

I've never had a dog who turns his nose up at anything vaguely edible before!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I know it defeats the object of raw feeding but i would be tempted to slowly fry it (no oil) maybe leave it underdone but it might tempt him and better than no meat
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Never had that problem as my dogs never refuse anything that is offered(including some free venison, pigeons etc)

Perhaps the veal needed to be minced & mixed in with something else or as been suggested gently cooked or with added chicken fat or similar
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The only thing any of mine has refused was Ox liver and pigs kidney both of which I lightly cooked in garlic and funnily enough they then scoffed them. These days I stick to lambs liver and have dropped kidney completely as the smell makes me feel sick. Other than that everything is eaten with relish.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:32 AM
My dogs didn`t like the liver - think it was ox liver. They love pigs liver though.
I had to give it in small amounts hidden in other stuff in the end.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your replies

I shall try lightly frying it I think.

Ted won't eat liver, kidney or raw mackerel unless it is frozen and cut up into small cubes. In these frozen bite-size pieces he thinks they are treats Unfortunately it hasn't worked with the veal
He adores duck, chicken and lamb hearts, but is reluctant to eat beef heart. He wouldn't eat shop bought pigeon, but will eat any bird that the cat brings in!
Gosh, it's like trying to figure out what my kids will eat! I absolutely do not want to fall into a trap of only offering a small selection of things that he feels like eating.

I tried him with pigs brains this week! he ate that no problem!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-06-2012, 06:41 PM
i mix it with raw that they do like
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
i mix it with raw that they do like
Yup sometimes I find getting them started eating something then they will eat the less nice things
Having said that mine are now really good - eat most things except for pig offal - but that smells yucky to me too so Im happy not to feed it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 06:54 PM
TBH none of my dogs have ever refused food from any source, so no help here.

Mince it with something else that he does like or cook it and then mince it in with pilchards and tomato sauce if he likes this?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Mine are very fussy when it comes to fresh fish, and my dad got me a load of cheap sprats from Tesco, about a kg in total, and that's a fish they dont really like. Anyway, today I lightly cooked them, moshed them up and mixed cottage cheese in. Went down like a treat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >