View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Windows Vista - worth it just for Windows Mail!!

I installed Vista 64Bit the other day, and input all my email details into the mail program, as you do, and hit the send/receive button.

I had about 12 emails come through and I was there sitting scratching my head cos I usually get around 60 if I've not checked my email for a few hours... of course most of those are spam!!!!

Well, I looked further down the folder list and noticed a new folder called Junk E-mail and there was 111 emails in there!!

I don't know how it did it but it caught 99% of the spam! Only one email was in there that should not have been. (It's added to the safe list now, so others from the same sender won't be treated as spam.)

It's now once again a joy to check my email as almost all the spam goes to the junk folder!!

Looks like Microsoft did something right for once

Apart from that I quite like Vista, it's just so much neater and tidier to look at and work with. Plus the security is much better than XP.

Anyone else installed it and like it?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2007, 11:39 PM
no, not yet, and not for a while, yet !
i use McAFEE internet security suite, it has all the spam blockers, if you get unwanted mail, you mark it as spam and don't get anymore from that source.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I use Mailwasher

http://www.firetrust.com/
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
I use Mailwasher

http://www.firetrust.com/
Me too!

Too scared to install Windows Vista. I'm happy with XP at the moment!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Azz;
I installed Vista 64Bit the other day, and input all my email details into the mail program, as you do, and hit the send/receive button.

I had about 12 emails come through and I was there sitting scratching my head cos I usually get around 60 if I've not checked my email for a few hours... of course most of those are spam!!!!

Well, I looked further down the folder list and noticed a new folder called Junk E-mail and there was 111 emails in there!!

I don't know how it did it but it caught 99% of the spam! Only one email was in there that should not have been. (It's added to the safe list now, so others from the same sender won't be treated as spam.)

It's now once again a joy to check my email as almost all the spam goes to the junk folder!!

Looks like Microsoft did something right for once

Apart from that I quite like Vista, it's just so much neater and tidier to look at and work with. Plus the security is much better than XP.

Anyone else installed it and like it?
yes i have used vista for three years now the only problem is the combat ability with some things my 3g card from vodafone will not work but the 32 bit version with a dual possessor very stable and fast but i use office 2003 with outlook and front page that has the same as the windows mail sorts it out good as well it has everything in it a partition program if you get short of space on your hard drive if anybody wants to install it i would sujest make an image of your system save that safe install widows update adviser to what programs might not work and install vista new not as an update as a new system then it works ok on the laptop it is perfect in my opinion it is a good system and even if you let somebody else use your computer they cant't mess it up if you have the admin password and account it wont let them
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
yes i have used vista for three years now the only problem is the combat ability with some things my 3g card from vodafone will not work but the 32 bit version with a dual possessor very stable and fast but i use office 2003 with outlook and front page that has the same as the windows mail sorts it out good as well it has everything in it a partition program if you get short of space on your hard drive if anybody wants to install it i would sujest make an image of your system save that safe install widows update adviser to what programs might not work and install vista new not as an update as a new system then it works ok on the laptop it is perfect in my opinion it is a good system and even if you let somebody else use your computer they cant't mess it up if you have the admin password and account it wont let them

Wow how did you get it before it was available to businesses at the launch in Nov 2006 ?

I've got the Home premium on this PC but still have XP on my laptop
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-06-2007, 02:47 PM
There was a beta about 18 months before release I think Dyane. I got it too but it was too buggy back then so just didn't bother with it.

My new pc has two partitions, one for the OS and one for all my files/emails/bookmarks etc. Previously I had 4 partitions One for Windows XP, one for Vista, one for Linux and one for files. But I found I never used the extra OS's (on this pc) so wiped it all and ended up with what I have.

The beauty of a seperate partition for your files etc is that it's much easier to back it up and/or if anything did happen to the OS (eg it completely crashed) you can simply reinstall the OS on it's own partition and all your files are still there
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Azz;
There was a beta about 18 months before release I think Dyane. I got it too but it was too buggy back then so just didn't bother with it.

My new pc has two partitions, one for the OS and one for all my files/emails/bookmarks etc. Previously I had 4 partitions One for Windows XP, one for Vista, one for Linux and one for files. But I found I never used the extra OS's (on this pc) so wiped it all and ended up with what I have.

The beauty of a seperate partition for your files etc is that it's much easier to back it up and/or if anything did happen to the OS (eg it completely crashed) you can simply reinstall the OS on it's own partition and all your files are still there
thanks azz saved me that answer from JoedeeUK you know what i have done 2 ide hard drives one with windows2000 one with vista
and then two SATA drives you can connect or disconnect without turning the computer off and use the boot menu from motherboard and boot from any drive or CD it works better than a partition before vista came out there was the longhorn i have that as well but for some reason it didn't come on the market then the first vista was called Microsoft vista longhorn he has certainly being trying me i would go back to dos and windows 3.11 ther is a new one going on now so when vista works properly then we will have another one but i had vista installed on the laptop but have gone back to xp as JoedeeUK because still to many disadvantages
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 05:23 PM
How can you have used it for three years? The very first Beta, Beta 1, wasn't released until July 2005.

Vista Release Dates

And no, like most business and home users, I haven't installed it, and have no intention of doing so. It seems that it's going to be as successful as Windows ME was.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover;
How can you have used it for three years? The very first Beta, Beta 1, wasn't released until July 2005.

Vista Release Dates

And no, like most business and home users, I haven't installed it, and have no intention of doing so. It seems that it's going to be as successful as Windows ME was.
if you read the post you can see it started with longhorn and the bigger companies had it before it was released to the publicit is up to anybody if they want to install it or not but the software which is coming out will be based on vista if we like it or not
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >