View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Hi griff DM is a genetic condition mostly in Shepherds and quite prone in Bernese to. Lots of Bernese breeders are now doing the swab test before breeding as advised by the breed club there was a quite a spate of it a while back.
There is no cure or medication it is silent and you start to notice little things that make you alert that it might be something to get tested or monitor.
No pain just gradual loss of use of back legs. We hadn't realised Ollie's was there at all and although he went off his back legs that was mainly due to the polyneuropathy not the DM.
the day he went off his back legs totally in the vet hospital I said DM but little did we know it wasn't the sod1 gene but a rare gene that was in his neck we had then realised the gradual slouching of his neck was indeed the start of that. None of that was apparent till the post mortem.

When the sod1 gene DM becomes far gone it is tested by the knuckling of the back paws they cannot correct them when they are bent over.
Swab test takes around 10 days. Some dogs the DM moves quickly if they are positive for it some it can take longer he is around the age that it usually starts to show up.
Also confusion of kerbs and how to negotiate them is a sign when it is far more progressed.

We sincerely hope it comes back negative or carrier but would like to be prepared if it does come back positive.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Morning all.

Rain here been out with Gert twice one rod walk one run up the field then back did a bit of shopping and now waiting for my lunch to finish cooking and then off out again if not pelting down don't mind getting wet but not rain coming down side wards.

Griff roll on the solicitors.
Lynn sounds like L2 in Staffords.
Sue I managed a small amount of deadheading but the flowers looked so sorry for themselves beaten by the rain I left them.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Moyra..

Right heads down not allowed head up and onward - now you know what paperwork they need from you them start to get it together and even maybe submit it so ready for action next time especially if what they have property wise not only interests you but suitable. Tell Steve now you are serious in your intention to move and he has 6 months to find somewhere from now. Or if that kicks off then tell him go now son grow up and move on. And apply have you looked at places like Housing21, private older care places that are really nice.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Kazz, I like the rain generally with regards walking the dog as you tend to only have the good owners out, like you however, I am not keen on walking in torrential rain... especially as my hair is long now and goes curly when wet lol
Lynn, thanks for explaining and I keep fingers crossed that Dillon doesn't have it
Made pasta bake for dinner, haven't done it for ages and my dad likes it so he will be happy hopefully.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Good afternoon all.

Guess what, it's been raining again all morning. It looks to be having a small respite now, but my guess is, not for long.

It would have been my Brother in Law's birthday today. My sister is in bits. If we didn't live so far away, I would have been with her for the day. Unfortunately, my daughter is still away or she'd have stepped in. We've had a long 'phone chat and it's the best I can do, but I feel so very, very sorry for her. 53 years married is a long time to suddenly have your world turned upside down.

Gary has got his new glasses this morning and, touch wood, so far so good and he loves them. It's looking like getting used to varifocals is going to be a breeze for him and he says they are magic glasses because the turn dark by themselves

Fingers crossed for Dillon Lynn. They are so very, very worrying when as they get older. All we can do is love 'em no matter what turns up.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Hoping for a dryer walk tomorrow Kazz and all.

Sorry about your SIL Chris hard for all on Anniversaries.

Thank you for all the good wishes for Dillon.

Gorden is marking essays and just stopped for some lunch toasted bagel with peanut butter, curly wurly and strawberry laces for afters while watching Lucifer.
No better way to spend another wet day.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Awwww Chris, how hard for your sister.... and you not being near by, I am sure she appreciated the phone call
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone, hugs all round for those that need them.

I have phoned the local motorpoint shop and confirmed that arrangements are in hand for my car to go in shortly after 9 o'clock in the morning after some of the mothers have cleared the car park for others to be able to park. The mothers just pack the little car park which is intended for shoppers in the little parade of shops but they don't care it's nearest to their school who have their own car park! I have a job to find space even in the disabled parking places they park irrespective of disabilities. Anyway all is in hand for a lift home and presumably they will bring the car back later in the day. If it needs work (please God it doesn't) then I shall leave it with them to get on with so that come Monday it can be retested again, that's assuming it may be necessary and looking on the black side.

Anyway, I really want to build a better relationship with Steve we cannot keep on rubbing each other up the wrong way so some serious talking is needed otherwise it will be separate applications into the council. I have to give him leeway for his fish because it is his only real interest better than fetching strange women home all the time. So a heart to heart is called for. I am sorry to labour you all with my problems when so many of you have problems of your own.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Good luck for the mot tomorrow Moyra.
No need to apologise that's what we do on this page off load and listen to each other.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2019, 04:24 PM
A heart to heart sounds brilliant idea to me Moyra; as you say rubbing each other up the wrong way can't be good for eithers equilibrium.

And if you do not off load to us the load becomes to heavy to carry and we all care for you.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >