Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2015, 07:59 AM

No more inventions??

I was saying to my son the other day how far we have come with technology in everyday life. I know computers have been around for many years but nothing like they are today. I remember using a telex machine when I first started work, then a fax machine marvelling how it worked. Then the computer got better with Windows then came in the mobile phone. As years went on of course the Internet, MP3 players, tablets, wireless ability, various handheld gadgets that you can use outside of home, mobiles getting more sophisticated.

Whilst my mind boggles with how these thing work I wonder if that's it. We've reached the end of the line so to speak and we've got it all. Of course my son came up with a few ideas that made me shudder (involving body parts, mainly the brain?), but I can't see that he or his future children will see any changes quite like what we've witnessed over the last 25 years.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
I was saying to my son the other day how far we have come with technology in everyday life. I know computers have been around for many years but nothing like they are today. I remember using a telex machine when I first started work, then a fax machine marvelling how it worked. Then the computer got better with Windows then came in the mobile phone. As years went on of course the Internet, MP3 players, tablets, wireless ability, various handheld gadgets that you can use outside of home, mobiles getting more sophisticated.

Whilst my mind boggles with how these thing work I wonder if that's it. We've reached the end of the line so to speak and we've got it all. Of course my son came up with a few ideas that made me shudder (involving body parts, mainly the brain?), but I can't see that he or his future children will see any changes quite like what we've witnessed over the last 25 years.
Sue we have seen nothing yet ...
With the discovery of Graphen by scientists at the University of Manchester in 2004 things are set to take another leap forward as applications for it use are developed.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Graphene - 'a wonder material (Guardian) it could change the world.'

Thanks Meg, I had not heard of this, looks like it has endless possibilities!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 12:52 PM
The next generation and the one after that will look back on the technology of today and laugh It'll be,your poor mother used to have to load a machine,pop a tablet in and switch on a button!! Future in travel is cars that drive themselves and that's just a few years off
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Waiting until 6 pm when 'phone calls were cheaper then still limiting internet time as it raised bills tremendously. The stupid modem that worked sometimes and sometimes not. Those were the days