Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-04-2010, 06:03 PM

UK's first prime ministerial TV debate

Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg will be taking part in the UK's first prime ministerial TV debate tonight, on ITV1 8.30pm... look forward to hearing what you all think of it!

Edit: Watch it online here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es_15_04_2010/
or here: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?...p=780100_123_1
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Well I'll be watching it. I'm still slightly Tory, but wanting to be more Lib Dem.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:22 PM
LOL to Gordon Brown trying to persuade Nick Clegg that he agreed with him while Nick Clegg denied it!

David Cameron has it for me so far,

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:24 PM
DC is incredibly, incredibly good at public speaking.

However, NC is pulling back and gaining in confidence and their view on replacing the trident is a winner for me so far!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet as I had to go shopping - but am hearing Nick Clegg has come out well in polls after the show.

Just off to watch it!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Well that was brilliant. And I think it showed us, above everything else, what kind of people they really are - as it would be very difficult for them to put on an act for that long. And the results were somewhat surprising.

Nick Clegg - came across as a decent, intelligent and genuine guy who really really wants to get things sorted. Fairly and for us all. Out of all the three he's the one that instilled trust the most. He has vision and a plan. Confident but not at all arrogant. I really can't say anything bad about him, he's totally gone up in my estimation.. he did a lot better than I thought he would.

Gordon Brown - came across as someone who has his heart in the right place, but lacks direction. He has lots of ideas but no real or well thought out plans. He may want to do the right thing, but I just don't think he knows how. At times I felt sorry for him - he looked as though he was out of his depth. It takes a lot to be Prime Minister, and I just don't think he has what it takes if I were honest. Though when it comes to trust I'd trust him over David Cameron who...

David Cameron - just came across as someone interested in doing right by himself and his super-rich (and I mean the grotesquely rich) friends, trying to twist and 'use' issues that people on the street feel strongly about to win him points. I don't think he did a good job of convincing anyone tho - maybe it's just me but he just came across as disingenuous ...and I'm quite surprised because I thought he was going to come off best tonight. I actually distrust him now and would feel safer with Gordon Brown over him if I had to pick between the two!

So the winner in round one for me was Nick Clegg. I was expecting him to be 'soft' and a pushover - but he was strong and confident (without any hint of arrogance that Cameron had). He was understanding and compassionate (without the naivety that Brown displayed). I think he cares and gives a damn, and is willing to do something about it - least that's how he came across to me.

Blimey - I've never been political in my life can't believe I spent 90 mins watching that lol! But like so many of you I think we desperately need real change, not more of the same from the other two parties but proper change. Great Britain is indeed great - but the other two parties are just holding us back and screwing things up imo.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Completely agree Azz. Was well worth watching to see what happened.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-04-2010, 06:22 AM
I missed it but will try and catch it later on today.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't think you'd think quite the same without the 'help' of the media and Gordon Brown making a big thing of DC's background. It has obviously worked though as a political ploy.

I think it is interesting that both GB and DC have lost a child. Very levelling.

I have a bit of a problem with GB being Scottish and controlling England as well---particually as he has done it so badly!

Nick Clegg came over well but again Europe didn't come up. Between giving in to Europe and giving up Trident we will ose all semblence of influence in the world.

rune
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Completely agree Azz. Was well worth watching to see what happened.
I agree with Azz too, im torn between Nick & Gordon, but really enjoyed it...im a bit of a polotics geek and enjoyed the afters of question time etc too
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >