Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2006, 06:03 PM

how has underfloor heating

Just wondering how people get on with there electric underfloor heating
we had a small exstention built and had this put down and tiles on the top, in the winter it comes on at 6 goes off at 8 then comes on again at 3 till 9 the temp is usually about 21 degrees and its called devi mat, thing is when i got my bill i nealy fainted as british gas didnt send me a bill for 6 months instead of 3 it was a massiv £600 i know energy has gone up but not that much and the only thing different in the house is the floor and 12 spot lights which we try not to have on.
i think i may have to try different coming on times to as it seems to get very hot in the middle of the night
if anyone has any ideas please let me know as i thought they were spose to be a cheaper way of heating your house.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Electric underfloor heating is expensive to run and your not the first person to encounter this problem.The only advice i can give is-dont allow the floor to get cold because it takes an awful amount of energy to heat it back up again.

You have done the right thing with having tiles as a floor surface because they heat up quickly and hold onto the heat,but i think you need to slightly lower the thermostat and leave it on for longer periods.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 08:32 PM
agree with steve it is expensive if its electric.

We are about to run it in our new extension but are runnig water stuff instead as our boiler is more than able to cope with it and we have 40m2 to put down so aint going to be cheap !!!
depurple1
New Member!
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Is it definitely the underfloor heating that is expensive?

I only say this because we had underfloor heating put in our bathroom last year (not to heat the room, just to keep the floor warm), and were horrified when our electricity bill rocketed.

It turned out not to be the underfloor heating though - it was the "economical" portable radiator we'd bought for the conservatory that had used more electricity than everything else in the house put together!