View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muffintop68
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:18 AM

When your dog pukes up their dog food, should you let them eat it again?

Just wondering what people think about this, since my husband and I were debating whether it's okay
(Is this pretty common dog behavior? Mine has always done it fairly regularly...)
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Mine do it if they throw up soon after eating (usually 'cos they've gobbled it down too quickly I think ) & I don't think it does them any harm. The thrown-up food looks much like it did when they first ate it so they've hardly had time to digest it!

I think there's a big difference between throwing up like that through greed, & throwing up long after they've eaten so the vomit looks like vomit, & not like the food you fed them earlier! And of course, there's being sick because of a poorly tummy or digestion problems, or too often ~ those sort of occurrences should be seen by a vet.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:40 AM
All the dogs Ive had have thrown up at one point or another & have eaten it again...

The OH & I were in stitches the other night as Sasi had wolfed her food way to quick (shes a greedy monster) & before she'd even finished being sick...ie: the sick hadnt even left her mouth , she was gobbling it back up again..such a greedy bag!!

Bev x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I would be more concerned that a dog eating that fast could get bloat. Perhaps splitting the food and feeding 2 or even 3 times day would help?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Defnitely not! Its cleaned up immediately!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Yup mine do, if they dont them someone else will!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Skye often does this, the vet has checked her and she has a small gullet, hence the reason she is fed by the living room door where I can keep an eye on her, she is fine if she eats slow and chews, but as dogs will be dogs she does gannet from time to time having to bring back excess food, we have tried alsorts. meals broken down small etc but she still has times where this happens and re-eats it.

If she was sick after some time of eating then no I wouldn't allow it.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Our Dachshund was notorious for doing it... he was the sole dog, but he would wolf his food down, then seconds later barf it up and then re-eat it
My lot now, if they are sick, they look at it in disgust and then stare at me, as if to say "Mum, clear it up!!"
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:10 AM
In a multi dog household sometimes the other dogs are far quicker than me. I don't usually mind unless I'm concerned that there is a bug then I have to stand guard whilst trying to clear it up!!
Becky
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Ruby was by far the worst for wolfing her food down, vet recommended putting a tennis ball in the dish so she has to try move it to find her food...that lasted 2 secs, she picked it out & dropped it & looked at me like i was daft lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >