Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
montlie
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:36 AM

New member-Monty's testicles

Hi, I'm new to-day my names Chris, I have a 4 month old Labrador he only has one testicle descended. How can you tell when the other (or if) the other descends? I think I can feel 2 small pea size lumps but only 1 sack. Should there be 2 sacks. Thanks for any help.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by montlie View Post
Hi, I'm new to-day my names Chris, I have a 4 month old Labrador he only has one testicle descended. How can you tell when the other (or if) the other descends? I think I can feel 2 small pea size lumps but only 1 sack. Should there be 2 sacks. Thanks for any help.
they should be in one sack so i wouldnt worry. im not too sure about when theire testicles should be fully descended, but hes still a puppy, id say wait until 6 months or so maybe? hopefully someone will be along that knows more.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
I found this for you at

http://dog.lifetips.com/faq/38421/0/...end/index.html

Q: My male puppy is eight weeks old, and my vet is concerned that his testicles have not descended. Should I be worried?

A: Your vet was concerned because most male puppies' testicles descend by about 10 days of age, and eight weeks is a point at which a dog can be said to be a cryptorchid [testicles retained in the abdomen]. However, some dogs can have testicles drop as late as when six months old.

You and your vet need to monitor this situation. If your dog passes six or seven months old and still does not have its testicles descended, your vet may urge that the dog be neutered to avoid the risk of cancer.

Here is a detailed discussion of the problem of cryptorchidism or "hidden testis," the problem your pup would have if his testicles did not descend:
http://www.vianet.net.au/~desaix/chrypt.htm
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
This is not uncommon but something which you need to speak with your vet about.

If a testicle fails to descend, there is a bit of a risk that it can later cause problems. So do make an appointment with your vet.

There are also some 'alternative' ways that some folk have found useful for getting the undescended testicle to appear, if you search online there is info on this.