Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Made a point of calling Flynn back and putting him on a lead on our walk today when we had to pass some off lead dogs, the gesture didnt work on this occassion. The bloke completely ignored what i'd done and allowed his young cocker to come bounding over so I explained why i'd put him on lead and all I got was a blank "oh, right" before he walked off.

I would think the message would be even clearer since I only leashed 1 dog and left the other 2...
I'm sorry, it isn't.

If I had a bogoff dog, I would put it on a lead. I may have two others with perfect recall and very sociable. I am not sure what physic message you want to convey?

If we encounter dogs on leads, our dogs go on leads. If they are off lead in a public area, I assume they are ok to meet other dogs.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I dont get why you call it a psychic message...(I assume thats what you meant).

I'm clearly overestimating human intelligence in the general public.

But you state that if you encounter dogs on leads your dog goes on lead. My dog was put on lead and the other owner didnt respond so clearly it's not a psychic message because you and many others understand it...This man was just an idiot IMO.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
But I feel that calling out is making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, maybe it's just my own thoughts on it. I've had people in the past asking me if I can put my dogs on a lead as I pass theirs or calling out to keep my dogs away and my thoughts have gone something along the lines of "keep your hair on, wasnt even going to let them near you anyway" and i've thought they've come across as a bit uptight.
well we are all different arent we but people may think the fact that you do not call out and then proceed to tell them why you put one of yours on lead as if they should have just known, they may find that more 'uptight' and you dont have to tell them, just INFORM
If Flynn was aggressive rather than reactive and he actually wanted to attack dogs then i'd probably feel differently about calling out. I dont know, in some weird way calling out to them seems to be overstating Flynn's problems and making a bigger song and dance than is warranted.
well is it such a big deal at all then? if the approaching dog is friendly maybe its better to be oportunistic and use it as a way to turn things into a positive for him?
I dont think there is anything to be done TBH, people are dense generally but people on here were telling me to put my dogs on a lead to get the message across and I was just pointing out that it didnt work any better than my other methods!
But that is only one day and one dog walker and you didnt call out so maybe you dont know if these things work better yet

Perhaps just chill out about it lol

I'm having a bit of a problem with this myself but there isnt a point in not calling out if you really are sure you dont want the dog approaching.....you could perhaps call out that 'My dog is very nervous!' and tell their dog to get lost if you dont want ppl to think he is aggressive?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:27 PM

But you state that if you encounter dogs on leads your dog goes on lead. My dog was put on lead and the other owner didnt respond so clearly it's not a psychic message because you and many others understand it...This man was just an idiot IMO.
But you said you had other dogs off lead. (Which I may interpret as "one dog antisocial, others off lead up for play")
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I'm sorry, it isn't.

If I had a bogoff dog, I would put it on a lead. I may have two others with perfect recall and very sociable. I am not sure what physic message you want to convey?

If we encounter dogs on leads, our dogs go on leads. If they are off lead in a public area, I assume they are ok to meet other dogs.
thats a good point actually, some people do have multiple dogs and only one or two on a lead as they 'run off' hang around sniffing, cant see well etc, not because they have issues with dogs

Leanne, perhaps easy slip leads for three of them when you see dogs approaching may also get the message over that you do not want the dogs mixing as your putting them all on lead?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:30 PM

But to be fair, your other two were both still off lead.

I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence or people being dense. A lot of dog owners genuinely don't 'get' it, or don't care.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
You're right, maybe I should just chill out about it but I do not like my walks to be ruined by every bloomin dog coming running over if it feels like it, especially as I do my upmost to avoid people and dogs. And it feels like most of the time i'm the only one being responsible whilst everybody else lets their dogs do what they like.

I just get very frustrated when other owners do not have the same manners that I do and i'm probably unfairly expecting everybody to be able to read body language as well as me. Of course, the whole calling out thing also makes asumptions about the other dog owner - it assumes they have control over their dog and are able to recall it.
As my ex always used to tell me - "Assumption is the Mother of all f**k ups"

Even friendly dogs Flynn doesnt like. The top and bottom of it is he's like me, he doesnt like his walk or his 'pack' being disturbed by other dogs.

I really wouldnt like to be in the shoes of those people who own truly DA dogs who would do damage if they got the chance.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
You're right, maybe I should just chill out about it but I do not like my walks to be ruined by every bloomin dog coming running over if it feels like it, especially as I do my upmost to avoid people and dogs. And it feels like most of the time i'm the only one being responsible whilst everybody else lets their dogs do what they like.
well I'm getting to know that feeling too
I just get very frustrated when other owners do not have the same manners that I do and i'm probably unfairly expecting everybody to be able to read body language as well as me. Of course, the whole calling out thing also makes asumptions about the other dog owner - it assumes they have control over their dog and are able to recall it.
Even friendly dogs Flynn doesnt like. The top and bottom of it is he's like me, he doesnt like his walk or his 'pack' being disturbed by other dogs.

I really wouldnt like to be in the shoes of those people who own truly DA dogs who would do damage if they got the chance.
well you know what they say; to assume only makes an ass out of u and me

At least by putting leads on all three and calling out you are giving them the option and making it clear, should anything come of it.

That way it is clear to all involved, after that I just use the end of the far flung to swipe out and say NO! to the dog - some dogs only see/hear that and then go away.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
But you said you had other dogs off lead. (Which I may interpret as "one dog antisocial, others off lead up for play")
Lol, think this thing is going round in circles. Yes, one dog on lead antisocial, other dogs off lead ok. So would you keep your dogs away from the one on lead then and let it approach the others?

From what i've read, the general consensus is that if you lot on here see somebody put their dog on a lead, you also put yours on a lead, or stop them approaching at the very least. Why does that dynamic then change when there is more than one dog? Does the same caution not apply?

The suggestion of leashing all 3 dogs then stops the social dogs interacting...I dont mind that TBH but there are times I allow them to interact.

Maybe i'm just being the dense one
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

I get peeved off about uncontrolled dogs too. I just thinlk you are assumuing reactions to your dogs which arn't going to happen. If you are walking in a "doggy area" you are going to meet a lot of dogs, and their owners!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >