Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I think many people see one dog as being a big enough responsibility without having more.
We got a fair bit of that, when we adopted a pair... "What do you need 2 for, surely 1 big dog is more than enough" there's no point trying to explain reasons most of the time as they just won't get it.

I think you either want a dog enough to get past the life changes & unpleasant stuff or you don't, but it annoys me when those people comment on my choice. Its like me suggesting to parents that they must be mad, to get tied down with all that responsibility, clear up kids mess and do they really need more than 1 sprog... its rude!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
It is down to choices. dogs are a big committment, but its a committment you choose and get so much back from it, they and the house smell only if you let them , poop has to be picked up but thats ok, they can make a mess and you clear up after them and thats ok too. They cant clear up (if only I could train that one !) , humans can and many of them live a much more smellier lifestyle than any dog would choose to !
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
having said that tho, as much as I love my dogs, and I never thought I would love, like I love Kerrie. My DS has completely got me smitten, even when he is being a complete grump, has puked on me, screamed his head off in Tesco, nothing, even comes close to comparing my love for him.

I still want another dog tho....3 is an odd number...dont like odds! (MIL will have a field day!)
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
All the mess and hair and water on the floor is fine as the dog does it.

It would be a different story if it was a person doing the same thing. They would be out.

Maybe the fact I don't want another person in my life as me and my dog suits me just fine says it all.

My catch phrase is. I would'nt put up with this from a person. LOL
Hahahaha I'm the same - constantly on at the kids for leaving pens, paper,shoes n stuff laying about usually just as I'm tripping over a dog chew in the middle of the floor!!! I even decide which toys the kids can have dependnt on how harmful they could be to the dogs!!!! Some may mention Prioroties but I reckon I've got em the right way round!!!!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
One of my closest friends simply does not 'get' how I can pick up dog poop. I pointed out to her that it's no worse than what she does if one of her kids throws up. But she just does not understand it. Interestingly though, her children adore Dexter and on her son in particular is mad about dogs.

My other best mate has two Labradors herself, so she understands how I feel about Dexter.

When anyone tells me that dogs 'aren't worth it' I just look at them blankly as for me, having a dog is one of THE most WONDERFUL things a person can do!

Dogs are so much fun, such great company, so interesting, and just so lovable - I don't get folk who don't want a dog!!!!!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
i do some work with the RSPCA and have had a dog come in because the owner was pregnant and couldnt possibly keep the dog???????????????? i never understood.

My dog is a drama has many behaviour problems and health issues (up to £8000.00 in nearly 5 years at the vets - thank god for insurance) makes so much mess and can even get her slobber on the roof but its worth it for my cuddles on the sofa and kisses when im sad
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
One of my closest friends simply does not 'get' how I can pick up dog poop. I pointed out to her that it's no worse than what she does if one of her kids throws up. But she just does not understand it.
Hehehe.... when our nephew was little and we looked after him, his mum warned us about the horrid nappies that he had been producing, and that we would hate it, and it would be awfully messy and stinky (we don't have kids, you see)....

I had to remind her that I pick poop up with just a plastic bag round my hand. Nappies? Hah! Poop is much easier in a nappy!
Plus, nothing can smell worse than a kitchen full of doggy poop from something nasty they ate. I'm fairly sure that usually children don't cover your entire kitchen floor and part way up the units/white goods with horrid, stinky, liquid poop......
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I get a lot of the same things that have been mentioned in this thread but the one that really annoys me is 'You never have any money and you can never do anything because your dog ties you down and you spend all your money on her!'. I just find it so rude and annoying I will spend my money on whatever I want and even if I didn't have my dog, I certainly wouldn't want to spend my free time and my money going out with such horrible people

A lot of the time people do think my dog isn't worth it but often I think that is also impacted by my age and the age of people I hang around with. I'm 18 so quite young and have my 'own' dog as opposed to a 'family' dog. None of my friends are really that 'close' to their dogs, simply see them as a bit of furniture in their house that they might want to play with now and again. They certainly don't do training, walking or pay for any of their needs so I think it takes them by surprise when I pay for all Molly's stuff and actually enjoy doing things with her.

They see it as a burden, I see it as taking care of my best friend
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I get a lot of the same things that have been mentioned in this thread but the one that really annoys me is 'You never have any money and you can never do anything because your dog ties you down and you spend all your money on her!'. I just find it so rude and annoying I will spend my money on whatever I want and even if I didn't have my dog, I certainly wouldn't want to spend my free time and my money going out with such horrible people

A lot of the time people do think my dog isn't worth it but often I think that is also impacted by my age and the age of people I hang around with. I'm 18 so quite young and have my 'own' dog as opposed to a 'family' dog. None of my friends are really that 'close' to their dogs, simply see them as a bit of furniture in their house that they might want to play with now and again. They certainly don't do training, walking or pay for any of their needs so I think it takes them by surprise when I pay for all Molly's stuff and actually enjoy doing things with her.

They see it as a burden, I see it as taking care of my best friend
i get that... none of my friends have a dog... so they spend their money on alcohol on nights out... i say id rather spend my money on my dogs that are always there, than watch it come back up in the toilet next morning!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
ah, dogs are a breeze compared to babies...Dogs is sick, it goes outside, pukes, comes back in snores head off. Baby pukes all over you, inside of cot, over the sofa, then wont sleep"!
Can I send you my Rupert? He pukes on the carpet in a hard to clean place every single time
then usually follows it up with several puddles of poop. Again on the carpet and in difficult to clean places. This is always between 3am and 5am and he doesn't go back to sleep, he'll stand there staring at me and whining for the next 2 hours

I do find having a dog a tie. It's having a dog that's stopped me from visiting my family more often in the past 2 years. It's having a dog that's stopped us going on day trips because we've nobody to let him out. It doesn't seem fair to keep putting a dog in kennels so you can go out and have a good time. I wouldn't be without a dog, imo the sacrifice is worth it most of the time, however I do wish places were more dog friendly and that it wasn't such a hassle and/or expense to get a dog from one place to another.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >