Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Dogs aren't worth it?

This is something I often get told when talking about dogs with non-dog owners. Picking up poo is often the reason I hear, or that they're a 'tie' and people can't have lives and dogs!
What are the most common reason people give you for not wanting a dog...even though they'd "love" one?! A lot of people say that..."I'd love a dog...BUT"
What are the "buts"???

I get:

*Not wanting to pick up poo
*They tie you down
*You can't have a social life and a dog
*Dog hair
*They smell
*Slobber
*I've got cats/other small pets
*I've got children

To me, all those points can be addressed if you actually really wanted a dog and could fit one in your lifestyle. Yeah, I can't go out all day and all night and leave Axel...but why would I want to? I enjoy spending time with him, and thankfully as he's sociable and travels everywhere he can with us, he's welcome to most of our family and friends house. We vacuum up the hair and he doesn't smell...to me all the 'work' and 'being tied down' is so worth the rewards you get from having a dog!

Over to you guys for your experiences....what's perhaps the oddest reason someone's given you for not wanting a dog despite the fact they'd "love" having a dog???
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Working full time is the main one (justifiably IMO,) and a lot of people just don't like them! (obviously never lived with one )

I don't know why I bother really, mine smells, slobbers, could cr*p for England, ties us down, cost us more than Brazils national debt in vets bills in the first Month, forced us to erect a fence that would do fort knox proud in an effort to keep next doors cats alive and to top all she has behavioral issues from being a rescue and is a miserable sod 99% of the time.

But, seeing that little tail give a few cautious wags before she runs over and buries her head in your lap for a fuss makes it all just so worthwhile

EDIT: Sorry, now I've read your post properly, the bit about people not liking them doesn't apply (inset blushing/numpty smilie as appropriate)
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Well I'm sure that a fair few dogs also think that humans aren't worth it either .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hmm.....trying to think how many people I am friends with/know who do not have dogs.

I have one friend with no desire to have a dog - but she is scared of them. Other than that, at the moment people I know who do not have dogs, have had them in the past and would like them now, but do not feel it would be fair on the dog due to time issues and age (theirs).
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Well I'm sure that a fair few dogs also think that humans aren't worth it either .
Talk to Zeff...he sees no need for people at all!!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I think most of what you have said is spot on , my OH has never had a dog in his life until Tom and Bella arrived and although we discussed and agreed it was going to happen , his statement has always been they are your dogs.

He is now a total convert and loves them to bits and maybe some of the people that say I would love a dog BUT maybe have to have the experience to appreciate it.

They are a tie , they are a worry , they do smelly stuff at times but the pros far outweigh the cons IMO. In some ways those folks that say BUT is a good thing as they may have a dog and completely regret it , at least they are giving it some thought not like those who have a dog or a pup on a whim and then realise all the responsiblity dogs bring.

For me I dont really care if they shed hair , you can hoover, they tie me down , not really they come every where they allowed to with us , picking up poo , I was a nurse for years so smelly stuff doesnt bother me, fortunately mine dont slobber lol !, they ignore our cat but go crazy with other cats , they are hounds they cant help it !, my kids are grown up but my dogs are good with children but dont have to live with them and my dogs certainly dont smell , they are groomed to within an inch of thier lives ! My only regret is that I didnt push OH sooner to have dogs in our life , I waited for 20 yrs to have my hounds and they are so worth it !
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree with you completely, Jake is a hell of a lot of work sometimes but he is sooooo worth it... i couldn't imagine not having him now, and cant wait to get dog no. 2.

I know people who would like a dog but don't want to get one coz they work, and/or coz of the amount of work involved. I think for people who have never had a dog, but want one, they do seem to be a lot of work but i don't think it is as bad as what it can seem... and also they don't know how much a dog gives you back, therefore making it so worthwhile
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I agree with those whodon't feel it's fair, and that's good that they're aware of their situation. I agree with non-ownership when it's justified like that, I was more meaning odd and weird reasons that don't hold up under scrutiny, or those based on assumptions.
I like your thinking chaz!
I admire people who don't have dogs because their circumstances aren't right, I'd rather they refrained from having a dog then have one and regret it/mistreat it/neglect it....
Interesting point tomthelurcher...indeed many who like the idea of a dog but haven't, would relish it like your husband has! We should start a campaign to open peoples eyes!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah, I agree with those whodon't feel it's fair, and that's good that they're aware of their situation. I agree with non-ownership when it's justified like that, I was more meaning odd and weird reasons that don't hold up under scrutiny, or those based on assumptions.
I like your thinking chaz!
I admire people who don't have dogs because their circumstances aren't right, I'd rather they refrained from having a dog then have one and regret it/mistreat it/neglect it....
Interesting point tomthelurcher...indeed many who like the idea of a dog but haven't, would relish it like your husband has! We should start a campaign to open peoples eyes!
Yes let the campaign begin ! He really didnt get dogs and when you see him now with Tom and Bella , he realises Tom is a clever pooch who really is a sharp cookie and doesnt miss a trick, he is so gentle with the lovely Bella who needs a completely different approach and can be seen every evening with one of them snuggled up with him on the sofa, he also realised they suss the mood and if you are down or unwell they act according , A true convert to the extent he changed his car for an estate so it would be more comfortable for the dogs !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
i sometimes wonder myself "are they worth it" specially when Millie lets herself and me down big time

But them I know the answer to why they ARE worth it, so simply get on with it, and dont try to justify it to those who cant see it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »