register for free

Dog News

New Year's Honours: MBE for Brentwood dog trainer and fundraiser

A dog trainer and charity fundraiser who for more than 30 years has helped children overcome their fear of dogs, has been appointed MBE in the New Year's Honours list.

Roy Dyer, 71, of Brentwood, Essex, has been recognised for his services to dogs and the community.

He founded the Essex Dog Training Centre and was a founding director of Essex Dog Display Team.

Mr Dyer paid tribute to the team effort and the support of his wife Carol.

The training centre, set up by Mr Dyer in 1979, has been responsible for training thousands of dogs and their owners.

The centre also provides free classes helping children overcome their fears to interact with dogs.

"Normally, within 40 minutes to an hour (at the centre), children with cynophobia (fear of dogs) will be brushing and stroking dogs," he said.

Mr Dyer said dog owners often needed training more than the dogs.
He has also organised popular community events which have raised many thousands of pounds for charity.

He praised his wife's support: "She has backed me to the hilt. If I could I would give her an MBE."
Article and photographs here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-30635630

Well deserved, Mr Dyer - congratulations.

Your comments and views:
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Not impressed. I watched a display by this team a few years ago now and one poor dog ended up in flames going through a hoop that was on fire.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Years ago his training methods left a lot to be desired.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2014, 01:36 PM
I admit to have never heard of Mr Dyer - I just posted an article that was in the BBC Online news.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Their training methods still leave lot to be desired Lynn

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top