Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Go Away! Just a slight rant!

This flaming phone of mine,just hoping I don't get a repeat of yesterday.
It did nothing but ring all day yesterday

I ignored 3 calls yesterday afternoon as no number was coming up but whoever it was were pretty persistant
So I answered it the forth time it rang and it was some bloke who I couldn't understand muttering something about market research I hung up and they didn't ring back

Then I had Macmillian on the phone this is every day they have rung for a week,each time they are told I am not interested,I know they do a wonderful job but I am not in the position at the moment to donate any money and the only way I could get rid of the woman on the doorstep last time was to sign up for a DD then a few days later cancel it with my bank.

Then I had someone who was doing insulation and are we homeowners I said no so there was no point carrying on with the call.

I think I am going to change the message when my phone goes to answer machine,saying,
If you are a charity we are not able to donate at this time - Please hang up.
We are not homeowners so we do not need insulation,new windows or anything else etc.
And if you want me to complete a market research survey the answer is no,so please go away I have better things to do with my time than speak to those who can't speak our native language ENGLISH!
Grrrrrrrrrr

Rant Over
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 12:12 PM
They do get on your nerves don't they - I hate em too
Now I just say - hang on I'll get him/her put the phone down and walk away! or if it's not possible I'm just blatantly rude and hang up!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I am lucky I rarely get calls like that... the OH however gets LOADS!!!! Very annoying to say the least, particularly when we are in the middle of eating dinner or watching a film/tv programme!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Sal, when we lived in England this used to drive me absolutely nuts it's one of the few blessings that I have here 'cos I get none now, we do get a few of the "we are doing a survey.....' type but as soon as I answer them in English they go away

Could I suggest you get Google translate to tell you what "Go away you nasty little person" is in Swahili and say it to them when they phone
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Oh gawd I feel your pain. Our old house we obviously inherited a number who must have ticked every single "please bombard me wiht marketing calls for anything under the sun" box going... the phone went nuts every single day (and since I rely on it for work I couldn't even screen withheld numbers since lots of my work ones come up as such) - even with TPS registration, asking politely to be removed from the list, telling them Mrs Whoever didn't live there anymore... in the end we gave up and when we moved house begged them NOT to port our number - the difference is just massive - while we get the odd one (it's usually silent mass diallers) it's nowhere near the levels it was at before.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Sal, I'm so sorry for you, you didn't even get a call from 'Crystal' telling you about the fabulous, once in a lifetime, holiday you've just won. All she needs is your bank details.....

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sal, when we lived in England this used to drive me absolutely nuts it's one of the few blessings that I have here 'cos I get none now, we do get a few of the "we are doing a survey.....' type but as soon as I answer them in English they go away

Could I suggest you get Google translate to tell you what "Go away you nasty little person" is in Swahili and say it to them when they phone
Ha Ha, that made me laugh Harvey! My dad speaks to people in Greek when they start asking for 'the homeowner', I'm not sure how he doesn't laugh but they usually say something like 'I'm sorry, it's a very bad line' and hang up. Mwahahaha
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 03:43 PM
There are a couple of things you can do to stop unwanted calls, we have done it successfully
First contact BT & ask for your number to be removed from the marketing list. People aren't allowed to contact you if your number is not on the list. Go ex directory & set your phone up with your service provider not to accept calls from witheld numbers.
We never get any now
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 06:32 PM
They don't generally leave answer messages, I know this as the one of the only person I know that has a house phone lets it go to answer phone all the time, only answers once you say hello, but cold callers basically hang up once the message starts, just a tip if you have a house phone, and their really bugging you .
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:23 PM
found a few ways to deal with unwanted callers. 1 for double glazing firms. say yep we will have it all done.but give the bill to the council. 2 ask them to fit a conservatory. got them all excited till i explained i was on a 3rd floor flat.!!
3 just say oh hang on got something cooking ill go n turn it down. put the phone down and then go n sit down n watch tv. longest i left the phone was 20 mins. picked up the phone called him a twit and hung up!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
My dad speaks to people in Greek when they start asking for 'the homeowner', I'm not sure how he doesn't laugh but they usually say something like 'I'm sorry, it's a very bad line' and hang up. Mwahahaha
I just hand the phone to OH and she does the same in English
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >