Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
I left the radio on but it didn't make a difference.

Apparently she used to sleep under her previous owners' bed.

They said she paced a lot and would wear herself out and then go to sleep.

She doesn't understand treats - she was brought up in a kennel in a back garden. She doesn't understand playing with a ball, chewing a toy, playing in water .... nothing. I managed to teach her to get in to her basket last night so she's not stupid but she is like a puppy.

We didn't get a puppy because we knew we couldn't handle it and wouldn't have enough time to give it the attention it needed or deserved.
Whereabouts are you based as I know of someone in Lincs that breeds GSD's?, she may be able to help you if you are near enough. I'm more than happy to put you in touch with her, she may have some ideas, or know of someone local to you that can give you some help.

I really feel for you, but to be honest, if she had been mine I wouldn't have let you take her until you had some time off to settle her in, its not fair to you, and its definately not fair on her.

I do so hope you manage to get sorted out. xx
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
No, I haven't had dogs before but my partner has. We specifically asked her current owners whether she would be okay to be left for 2 to 4 hours as we both work.

They said she was fine. They said she would take to her bed and stay there.

She hasn't stopped pacing since we picked her up last night and barely slept last night.

And no, we didn't expect to get a good nights sleep last night but we did not expect £200 of damage and for me to spend the whole night awake in the living room with her.

Seem her prev. owners haven't been totally truthful? Although she knew her last home and felt safe.

The pacing seems to be a habit that she has and sounds like a nervous thing? And if she did that at her last place to me doesn't sound good?

Sorry I just don't know what to suggest having not had to deal with this sort of thing.

I think she is expected to be over anxious - she doesn't know where she is or who you are - she doesn't feel safe - dogs can be destructive and anxious when not feelign safe they will not sleep.

I would think she will settle with time.

Sending her to doggy day care will probably upset her further at this stage as she does not feel secure with all these changes.

The timing of getting her probably needed a bit more thought so she could be settled in - do you have someone who could be with her?

She needs very patient and gentle handling as anything could really upset her right now.

I'm not a big crate fan but sounds to me that she needs a den and somewhere secure to be left - with treats etc. But she needs time to be introduced to this special den for her. I would put a cover over it for her too.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:44 AM
You say she liked to sleep under the bed?...maybe a crate with the sides and roof blocked off would help, this might make her feel more secure And like she has her "den" back??. If she is used to a kennel and the garden, and doesn't know how to play then a house environment must be really stressful for her and she may just need lots of reassurance. Play will come naturally given the opportunity when she calms down a bit.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Both - has chewed the wooden blinds (landlord wanted blinds instead of curtains and there's six - all of them need to be repaired or replaced now), door frames have been chewed and scratched and the door has been scratched.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't want to seem harsh but I think she should go back to her previous owner let them deal with it. You appear neither experienced enough or around enough to give her what she needs. Sorry I did say before that I thought you were perhaps a bit nuts for taking in two unknown dogs in a rental property while working and now you know why.
Not all owners tell the truth when rehoming.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
When are you due to be off on holiday? if you can persevere till then or get someone to look after her or even doggy day care (some kennels will allow you to leave your dog in during the day - it's not ideal, but at least an option) then when you are off you can work on the leaving her. I would reccomend a crate/cage, a good quality one so as to minimise her injuring herself. Make it appealing for her toys etc feed her in it and gradually build up the time you leave her. If persistent this really can take as little as a week - again not ideal byut a solution. She may be incredibly stressed. Can you also leave something with your scent on t with her, or even better if poss and if you are confident her previous owners were good to her, get something with their scent on it to leave with her.

Again a really last resort option but a muzzle maybe an option but you would have to monitor how she acted so as to ensure she couldn't injure herself or become even more distressed. I would say that this option would be totally last ditch and really would have to be monitored very closely as the last thing you want is more distress or fear to be instilled into her.

As Halleybella said - don't give up just yet if at all possible

Good Luck

I know what you are saying - but please don't muzzle her I think this really could be too stressful for her. I know Benzmum has said it could be too distressing and I think it would. IMO I don't think you should leave a dog muzzled unspervised anyway.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post

I'm not a big crate fan but sounds to me that she needs a den and somewhere secure to be left - with treats etc. But she needs time to be introduced to this special den for her. I would put a cover over it for her too.
Sorry posted at the same time

ETA Take your point totally about the muzzle, and yes I agree, it was an option, but one that would have to be strictly monitored and I do think other options are far better. It sounds as if Bailey needs reassurance and company
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I can't give her back to her previous owners - I've already asked them and they said no. She's stressed enough as it is - don't want arguments etc on top.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:47 AM
This seems to have happened very quickly after you posting and taking such care?
Poor Bailey is mega stressed out, you are her thried hiome in a year and the pooor dog can't know if she is coming or going, bless her. If you get angry over the damage and pacing that will make her worse.
She needs a great deal of time and patience and love investing in her. Bless her.
Any rescue dog will take at least 3 weeks to properly settle in a new home. If you picked her up last night, she can't be expected to settle at bedtime in a totally different place, with totally different people.
I feel so sorry for her. She can't have a clue what's going on.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I haven't shouted, gotten angry or anything like that. I've been calm and that helped her last night but it doesn't stop her being confused and scared.

Yes, maybe I was a gullible but at the end of the day people, we are not here enough. She is a like a puppy because of the way she has been treated before.

Yes, she is confused and scared and I feel awful and am so annoyed that her previous owners didn't offer all the information we needed to know. But there is nothing I can do about that now.

Can only try to do the right thing by Bailey.
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »