Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 09:28 PM

hand rearing rejected pup?

Can anyone add as much info as possible on how to hand rear a pup rejected by mum? Whether and when you can try reintroducing them etc?

Any info in general on rearing the litter would be gratefully received too - thanks.

I ask because a friend of a friend's bitch has had pups and has rejected one of them and she's handrearing - friend just wanted as much info to pass onto her as possible.

Thanks guys
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Lottie is it just one puppy or a whole litter, a single pup rejected by a bitch will often have a health problem,they smell and move differently to healthy puppies so the bitch rejects them .

Has your friend checked the puppy for a cleft pallet.
If possible get the puppy to suckle so that it can obtain the valuable passive immunity from the dams milk, try holding the puppy to see if the if the bitch will lick its face, this will help the pup to identify the smell of its mother on the teats. Even if it only gets a small amount of milk from the dam in addition to the supplementary puppy milk this could make all the difference to its chance of survival.

I guess your friend already knows about keeping the puppy warm and simulating the bitches licking with the use of warm wet cotton wool after the puppy feeds to help it eliminate waste .

If it is the whole litter try contacting the local vets to see if they know of anyone with a recently whelped bitch who could help .
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I had to hand rear my girl skye , she was born with a bad sinus infection so mummy would not have a bar of her at feeding time , i reared her on whelpi , she remained in the litter with her litter mates but would not feed with them , i fed her every couple of hours , with a baby botttle , she thrived just the same as the others in my case mummy would clean her but not feed her ,think it was due to her sniffly nose and the noise she made . but mum did not push her away it was more to do with skye not feeding from mum , so it may be a different case from your friends .
If i can help further please feel free to pm me xxdk
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys -I will pass it all on - it's only the one pup but unfortunately it's a friend of a friend so I'm hoping that my friend is passing everything I tell him on!