View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 12:10 AM

Goats - bad news, good news, neeed advice.

Well, Spring is officially here! Dori one of our goats kidded on Tuesday. She had three kids, but one was very small and died soon after birth. Mom and babies seemed fine, the kids were eating and mom was eating and everyone looked great. This morning, I found Dori dead in her pen. I don't know what happened, but I was just devestated. Now I have two orphaned goats. Dori was the first to kid so I can't put them off on another mom and I can't seem to find goats milk anywhere for some reason. So I'm bottle feeding them cows milk. Naturally they have really bad diarrhea. Anyone have any advice to share I'd love to hear it!

Here they are. Two girls. Need names!

BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm sorry you have lost Dori What a shock.
Poor babies, they are adorable :smt007 I hope you can sort something out for them
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Sainsbury's and Tesco sell pastuerised Goats milk, both full and semi skimmed. Alternatively a friendly farmer might be able to help out if they keep goats but not many do nowadays.

We fed our puppies on goats milk and went through gallons of the stuff.

Not sure what you have in Mexico though, have you tried a market at all?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear you lost Dori, is there not a local agricultural supplier that sells kid replacement milk? If they scour for too long you could end up losing them too.
Becky
kazaroo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 02:29 PM
GO TO SOMEWHERE LIKE HOLLAND AND BARRETT FOR POWDERED GOATS MILK- BUT DO NOT MAKE IT AS STRONG AS IT SAYS OR THE WILL SCOUR-ABOUT A 3RD OF WHAT THEY SUGGEST; ADD A LITTLE GOATS LIVE YOGURT FOR GOOD BACTERIA FOR THE GUT!aLSO IF YOU CAN GET SOME GOATS OR SHEEP COLOSTRUM INTO THEM(VETS DO A POWDERED FORM) GET IT IN ASAP! THEY HAVE PROBABLY HAD SOME- BUT ITS IMPORTANT FOR GUT DEVELOPMENT!

sORRY SHOUTING!
kazaroo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 02:32 PM
iF YOU CANT GET GOAT SCOUR TREATMENT A CALF TREATMENT WORKS JUST AS WELL...bUT YOU HAVE TO TRY AND STOP THE SCOUR- HAVE YOU TRIED A SUGAR AND SALT SOLUTION-LIKE FOR HUMAN BABIES! oH AND MAYBE A LITTLE HAY TO NIBBLE?

aLSO HYGIENE IS A MUST AROUND SCOUR- BOTTLES AND BUCKET MUST BE WASHED AND RISNSE THOROUGHLY AS MUST HANDS AND EQUIPMENT!

http://kinne.net/weakkid.htm
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone. The local vet is supposed to stop by this afternoon to have a look at the kids.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Thanks everyone. The local vet is supposed to stop by this afternoon to have a look at the kids.
i acnt offer much advice - i dont know your provisions in mexico

But how about precious and jewel for names as they really are just that!!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Awwww I'm really sorry to hear about whats happened, do you have a WalMart nearby? I know they stock goats milk.

Those babies are VERY sweet :smt007 :smt007
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Any local farmers about with some sheep milk..if no goats. sheep milk is much nearer to goats and would be better than cows? The vet should be able to give you some dried substitute feed at any rate. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >