Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Wysiwyg - dont worry. I have been reading some of your posts and noted the comments towards the trainers. I can see where you are coming from on some of the points.
Thanks AJL

I can only ask to bear in mind that its 3 days pretty much of training distilled down to 20 minutes per dog 'entertainment'.
Is it only 3 days? That's not very long! I had the idea dogs and owners were there for 7 days, not sure where I got that from...

I know they disagree amongst each other about each others methods too, so they certainly keep each other on their toes
I like to hear that - I forget who said it, but someone said that if you put 3 dog trainers together, the only thing they will agree on is that the other one is wrong
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:04 PM
You're going to laugh, possibly even more when you see it, but shes a pug...and a very small one at that. Not to everyones taste i know, but something about their personality that got me and my girlfriend hooked!
Pugs are great little dogs, aren't they? I've met only a few but never fail to be impressed by how fab their characters are!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 04:08 PM
My girlfriend arrived early thursday morning - intro the whole thing in the morning, then training for the rest of the day.

Friday morning - early start, short walk, clean the kennel, bite to eat, then training at 8.30am. Last bit of training ends at maybe 4ish, but during the day, the dog is not always being worked. Its as much about training the owner as the dog, and clearly a tired dog wont learn as well.

Saturday is the same ritual, then sunday a little bit of training, but really prepping for the exam.

They certainly try and pack in as much as is possible and is practical. I think maybe the first series was longer? not sure though.

As for it not being long - my head hurt and i only had friday afternoon and all day saturday!!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Agree with your comment on Pugs. Everyone who meets her cant fail but smile at that face!

Wait till you see her jump the height the lab was doing on last nights show though. We worked her up to doing the 3rd bar on their course and she really enjoyed it.

When i arrived, they were in the woods working on retrieves. Bearing in mind the last time i saw her she wouldnt play fetch, Mic treated me to a display of our new dog. Mic hides her a pencil case with treats in a relatively dense bit of woodland (to a pug though, this was practically a forest!). Saffy is let off the lead, and in she darts. Lots of frantic hopping about - she maybe has half a foot of ground clearance remember). Sticks her head in the air, has a sniff, and darts to the tree, grabs the pencil case, and brings it back.

Have never been so impressed before, and gave me a lot of respect for my girlfriend, saffy, and of course Mic. This was after a day and half of training.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Anyone know if Mic Martin is married...I'd have him in an instant...what a dish....he could train me anytime...swoon
poshdogmad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I watched this programme when the last series was on and didn't think much about their methods at all. They were harsh and in many cases totally unnecessary. A dog can so easily be turned round with gentle and fair methods. I work as a qualified canine behaviourist and have had several customers with messed up dogs from these "boot camps".
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:31 PM

We also got our dog doing agility - having read some previous threads on this I hope its ok. She absolutely loved it, hands were on her for support only, not to coax up things, and my god can she jump!!

If she is small, the stresses are not so great physically as the jump heights are better in proportion. If she is old enough to do agility [ 12 months + ], thats absolutey fine, though I would be concerned as to how many elements she was expected to learn in a few days under the Borstal Bunch, given how much time should be spent on careful introduction and confidence building to each element.

My beginners courses are done over 6 weeks and that is for introducing the dogs carefully without overloading them with too much too soon, and never too many different elements in close succession.....

Even apparently fearless dogs can be ruined agility-wise by assumption that because they took to the equipment well initially, that they will never be problematic, then something happens like missing a good approach to a see-saw or dogwalk and sliding off, [ and making the see-saw bang for instance ], from which they can be badly spooked.

With many which seem like fearless naturals, its often because they are not self-aware and are excited to be doing something so can be over-confident, which can be worse to deal wth than those with the inner-sense to be cautious, surefooted and take things steady.
My Silk is one such dog, no fear at all, and one speed of her own - rocket fuelled - so I regulate her speeds and approaches for her so that she does`nt develop bad habits and find herself flying off anything and getting hurt or frightened.

There are clubs in your area, but be aware, a *reputable* club will not allow you to use a squirter or other punitive punishment during training. If you came to me for instance, you would have to leave it outside the gate or I would offer my free disposal service

A good club with good trainers should be able to guide you on using good *positive* motivation to keep her occupied and focused generally, outside of agility as well as at training, so that you can throw the squirter in the bin youself
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Re. the squirter. I take your point. It was used for the training with mic, and has been used around the flat in the week following it. It now rests collecting dust in our bedroom. A simple 'No' is enough to get her running to us to play with a conveniently place toy!

On the agility course, (apologies for wrong terminology here) we did 2 ramps - one which was flat at the top, and one that just went straight up then down. Mic ensured we supported her at all times, and briefed us on how to handle each piece of equipment in relation to the dog before attempting it. Then it was just jumps.

Im sure that sounds quite tame for the more seasoned owners, but I think (again, correct me if im wrong) it gave a good insight for us as owners that she is not just a toy dog
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Agree with your comment on Pugs. Everyone who meets her cant fail but smile at that face!

Wait till you see her jump the height the lab was doing on last nights show though. We worked her up to doing the 3rd bar on their course and she really enjoyed it.

Whaaaaaat ????
Are you serious ?
A Pug doing full Large jump height ???!!!!!

No, no, no, no, no, no, nooooooooo :smt091

If you are not just kidding, I need to have a serious private face to face `chat` with that `trainer`
:smt075 :smt075 :smt075 :smt075 :smt075
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2006, 04:44 PM
She was doing a jump that was maybe a foot and half high?

3 bars on mics course - maybe the lab did a bigger jump when i wasnt looking?

The jump was maybe as high as saffy is standing on her back legs?
Page 7 of 45 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »