Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2016, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Fipps View Post
The vid below shows a dogs response to positive reinforced stimuli, I suppose (according to many here) all the owner in the vid below needed to was hold a food treat up & the dog would have come running back.......

......which northern stage celeb said..."Nawt so queer as folks"
The dog wouldn't come back if its owner praised it either.
Fipps
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Chris
The are very useful as a lure, but as the majority of dogs value food above all else, they are extremely useful as a reward for a job well done.

Well in the dog/deer vid below they guy tried/is trying using a ball on a rope as a more intense reward than the deer, guesswork on my part but I can guess he used treats prior to using the ball or at least knew of treat use, the results in the vid are obvious:

Please watch vid this time chris, illustrations have been used in an educational context for many centuries, no idea why you dont watch vids relevant to this subject.

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Fipps, it isn't training when you try to distract the dog once the chase has started.

Training starts with no distraction and moves on in increments to increase the distraction rate. By the time deer are on the scene, the training should be rock solid.

It's not rocket science, it's common sense
Fipps
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Fipps, it isn't training when you try to distract the dog once the chase has started.

Chris, I asked you to watch the video, obviously you did not, the dog was not chasing the deer, it was around the guy & watching the ball first, then chasing the deer became greater intensity reward than playing around with the ball, its reasonable to suppose the guy & the dog had played with the ball before he went in the park & that the ball was already a conditioned play object.
From what the vid shows the guy is trying to overcome an existing chasing problem as opposed to it had never happened before, he was quite close to the deer maybe he had built that up over time, but, that cannot be known for sure, but as you say he may wel lhave, "Training starts with no distraction and moves on in increments to increase the distraction rate.".
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2016, 07:18 PM
a lot of ifs, buts and maybes there, Fipps.

IF the guy had trained a solid 'leave' and 'recall', it's highly likely he would have had control of his dog.

MAYBE the guy thought play would overrule the desire to chase, BUT in that type of situation without proper training in place it wouldn't.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
a lot of ifs, buts and maybes there, Fipps.

IF the guy had trained a solid 'leave' and 'recall', it's highly likely he would have had control of his dog.

MAYBE the guy thought play would overrule the desire to chase, BUT in that type of situation without proper training in place it wouldn't.
Think you are wasting your breath Chris 'Fipps' is clearly a follower of the weirdo Denis and even posts like him failing to use quote tags and instead putting the quote in italics at the top of a thread
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Training starts with no distraction and moves on in increments to increase the distraction rate. By the time deer are on the scene, the training should be rock solid.

It's not rocket science, it's common sense
Quite so Chris a perfect description .The dog in the video has clearly never learnt a solid recall in the first place and when the opportunity to chase prey presents itself the adrenaline rush this provides along with the feeling of satisfaction that comes with the chase overrides any attempt by the owner to gain control.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-09-2016, 09:45 AM
My wife had me trained even before we got married, funny how one can go deaf most of the time
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2016, 12:25 PM
I use all kinds of motivation, including treats. I think the trick is to make yourself the source of all things good, ie: the focus is on you and not to rely on the dog being able to see what it is you are offering. once you can move away from being very obvious with your food/toy etc then it keeps your dog interested and keen to guess what you have next !
Fipps
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2016, 02:53 PM
I think the trick is to make yourself the source of all things good, ie: the focus is on you

Thats exactly the whole point of Swiftys' original post, so the dog is coming to him/you, not being trained to simply come in for tit bit as the primary focus target of attention.
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >