Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
All I will say is if the cap fits .................................................. .................................................. ...........
It fits perfectly thank you very much! I have never been one for shying away from my actions.

As they say, actions speak louder than words!! And boy, do we have one stunning dog in Ben. I am so proud of him, he has come so far and I am proud of us too, his owners, for having the strength to put up with some extremely challenging behaviours, initially not only with other males, but more seriously with us. As they say ... we have read the book, seen the film AND eaten the stew.

So my advice remains to the OP ... do NOT allow your jrt pup to display such assertive behaviour, nip it in the bud right now ... not by ignoring it, but by meeting it face on, kindly but firmly. No-one is advocating physical violence or aggression here, just a kind but firm NO ... end of.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It fits perfectly thank you very much! I have never been one for shying away from my actions.

As they say, actions speak louder than words!! And boy, do we have one stunning dog in Ben. I am so proud of him, he has come so far and I am proud of us too, his owners, for having the strength to put up with some extremely challenging behaviours, initially not only with other males, but more seriously with us. As they say ... we have read the book, seen the film AND eaten the stew.

So my advice remains to the OP ... do NOT allow your jrt pup to display such assertive behaviour, nip it in the bud right now ... not by ignoring it, but by meeting it face on, kindly but firmly. No-one is advocating physical violence or aggression here, just a kind but firm NO ... end of.
No physical violence, just human language & possibly reinforced by an e collar ?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 03:01 PM
She never said to use an e collar on a Jrt puppy. I highly doubt she'd ever advise that. Diving back a long time ago to reach for something like that is immature anyway. Why don't you stop trying so hard and give people a break? I happen to mostly agree with Gnasher and we're not advocating being mean to dogs. Verbal discipline, when done correctly will not always backfire like you keep trying to say it will.

Yes, we're saying to use human language, same as how you use it to train commands. What is wrong with that? Don't say the dogs do not understand because they do understand, same as how they can associate a verbal command such as sit with the action. Mine certainly understand, and neither of them have "shut down" like you accused and I'm absolutely certain that Gnasher's Ben has not, either.

You'd think people who call themselves dog trainers would be more down to earth about different methods instead of the annoying "only one way is right" close minded mentality, which takes me back to my previous statement, biggest difference here is the level of arrogance possessed by the participants.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Oh, and the proverbial "cap" doesn't fit me. I don't use those collars on my dogs. You have not seen one on either dog, and you will not see one. My last dog, long dead had a choke chain that fell off years before he died and was being used as only a necklace with his scarves years before that. Choke chains don't really work on determined dogs, not sure about e collars.

If I ever felt I needed one for a dog, I'd probably just get rid of the dog. I have no idea how to use those iffy things, and when used wrong, any training tool, tangible or not, can become useless and/or counterproductive. For that reason, I don't see why hanging onto one you don't particularly like is useful or relevant.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Oh, and the proverbial "cap" doesn't fit me. I don't use those collars on my dogs. You have not seen one on either dog, and you will not see one. My last dog, long dead had a choke chain that fell off years before he died and was being used as only a necklace with his scarves years before that. Choke chains don't really work on determined dogs, not sure about e collars.

If I ever felt I needed one for a dog, I'd probably just get rid of the dog. I have no idea how to use those iffy things, and when used wrong, any training tool, tangible or not, can become useless and/or counterproductive. For that reason, I don't see why hanging onto one you don't particularly like is useful or relevant.
She never said to use an e collar on a Jrt puppy. I highly doubt she'd ever advise that. Diving back a long time ago to reach for something like that is immature anyway. Why don't you stop trying so hard and give people a break? I happen to mostly agree with Gnasher and we're not advocating being mean to dogs. Verbal discipline, when done correctly will not always backfire like you keep trying to say it will.

Yes, we're saying to use human language, same as how you use it to train commands. What is wrong with that? Don't say the dogs do not understand because they do understand, same as how they can associate a verbal command such as sit with the action. Mine certainly understand, and neither of them have "shut down" like you accused and I'm absolutely certain that Gnasher's Ben has not, either.

You'd think people who call themselves dog trainers would be more down to earth about different methods instead of the annoying "only one way is right" close minded mentality, which takes me back to my previous statement, biggest difference here is the level of arrogance possessed by the participants.
Oh please where did I mention you, not every post is about you & your training method.

Please explain how a dog "knows" what the word "No" means ? It knows by some means that it should stop what it is doing, just like it should know the word "heel" means walk alongside nicely on a slack lead. In which case why do my dogs walk to heel nicely never having hear me actually tell them to ? The only thing they know is that they walk close to me, hear a click & get rewarded, I've never used the word heel, just like I have never used the word "No" to stop a behaviour, yet I can get my dogs to stop behaviours with a low cough ! maybe your dogs understand the human language & mine simply know what is rewarded & what isn't by instinct. Must try the shouting at them & using human language with my next puppy, will just have to learn Romanian before he/she gets here, otherwise I will fail totally
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Oh,
If I ever felt I needed one for a dog, I'd probably just get rid of the dog. .
Do you actually like dogs? I thought I was past getting shocked at the stuff I read on line but the way you are so casual about it shocks me .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Do you actually like dogs? I thought I was past getting shocked at the stuff I read on line but the way you are so casual about it shocks me .
It does`nt shock some of us sadly. a bit of research will explain it all.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Please explain how a dog "knows" what the word "No" means ?
I was going to mention this . This is one of my pet hates because its very vague and people dont pair it with anything so that it has a meaning to the dog , We say No without thinking about it and assume our dogs will understand it .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
I was going to mention this . This is one of my pet hates because its very vague and people dont pair it with anything so that it has a meaning to the dog , We say No without thinking about it and assume our dogs will understand it .

Well I know my boy does not know what NO means, I keep telling him NO , and he ignores me
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
It does`nt shock some of us sadly. a bit of research will explain it all.
Ok. Not trying to cause trouble and perhaps I shouldn't have said anything but this has really upset me .
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »