register for free

Dog News

Motorists warned not to leave dogs in their cars

...has received 62 comments (page 2)
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 03:25 PM
To be honest this thread is 'old news' and I can't believe anyone on this forum needs to be reminded not to leave a dog in a car when its hot (yawn)!!! We are all dog lovers here, we wouldn't have joined up if we weren't. I really don't think it was necessary to even post this thread as all its done is cause unnecessary friction.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 03:40 PM
If you think you can't lead a normal life without sometimes leaving a dog in a car. What would you do if you lived somewhere like I do? Where for months the outside temps are around 40c. And in the car is maybe double that? Five mins could kill the dog. It would bloody kill ME if I didn't have the aircon on. Or all windows open and travelling at speed.

You just have to work round that 'inconvenience'. EVERY YEAR we see the same warnings and the same horror stories about dogs who have died in cars.

They cannot sweat like we do.

Shut yourself in the car for a while in summer temps without the aircon or windows wide open and see how you feel.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 06:16 PM
It's normally very hot here in the spring and summer. And the only car we can ride in has windows that WILL NOT roll down because the electrical system it broken. NO dogs or cats are ever left in the car.

When I take Nigredo somewhere (or any other pets, but he travels with me the most) and have to wait on whoever is driving, usually mother, we GET OUT of the car and wait.

I'd not leave any of my pets in a hot car. Hell it's so hot in there I can't even stay in there. But he overheats EASILY and I'd not even think of leaving him in the car. I mean not even think of it. It's annoying that this still has to be said these days.

BTW, more kids die here in hot cars than dogs. Which is also pathetic. Why leave a kid in a hot car? Woman on the news JUST this morning, left her two kids in the car while she went to a job interview. Senseless.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Tang I wouldn't live somewhere like you do I would melt myself ! Not a sun lover at all LOL
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Dogs die in cars EVERY YEAR in the UK Julie. At least here people KNOW it's too hot to have a dog in the car. And Cypriots hardly ever let their dogs out of the yard! Only ones I've seen in vehicles are in landrovers or open trucks going hunting - more likely to see some lazy git driving his car round a field while the dog runs.

Wasn't it last year that a Police Officer's dog died because he left it in his car? And they SHOULD know.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Indeed but the dogs that die are not checked on like mine are and are not in the shade with windows open. We don't indiscriminately leave them anywhere, and as I said previously we shop early morning or late night when the sun is not a problem. When they come to work with me it's because my living room where they usually stay is too hot for them so the car in the covered car park at my work is cooler.

As I said over 30 years of dogs and cars and no on has come to any harm, just have to be sensible. We have always tried to take them everywhere with us they benefit from that IMO far more than they suffer.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Leaving the windows cracked is fine, but I'd be worried the dog might jump out or be stolen etc. if the windows were down too far. My dogs are big so snatching them is neigh impossible, but not for a small breed. And with the windows only cracked, I know dogs would overheat in my climate.

I suppose I just don't see a solid reason why I'd ever need to leave my dog in a car alone. I'd either take him inside with me where-ever I'm going OR leave him at home. No reason to bring him along and leave him in the car.

He also might eat the car. Don't think he would, but if left in a small, cramped car too long with no leg space for his long silly legs, he'd get incredibly bored and might start chewing on things and/or destroying things.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2014, 09:07 AM
I agree with the others to be honest Julie I am shocked that you discard this advice with your attitude, shade moves around and checking every 20 mins is not enough I think it can take something like a few minutes for a dog to die of heart stroke in a car,

This subject comes up year after year and still we see people disregard the advice given, they think they are immune to their dogs dying in hot cars......... I guess the attitude will stay with you till the day it does happen to you or someone smashes your car window to get to your dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2014, 09:14 AM
but the dogs that die are not checked on like mine are and are not in the shade with windows open
I guess Julie you are not he first person to say that, but sadly some learnt a very harsh lesson, leaving windows open , and shade (whcih moves) and 20 min checks has not saved other dogs from an excruciating death.

I am surprised that anyone on this forum still holds this view.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Well I am sorry I shocked you but we have people here who do many things I would think dangerous to my dogs so taking them with me where ever I go seems fairly harmless in comparison. Also I have said it has to be done sensibly and each occasion is judged individually when very hot I don't even drive with them or walk them as I don't think it's safe.

TBH I think this news section is not the place to have these sorts of discussions, post the news and not comment is possibly a better option IMO. Something I will be doing from this moment on. No time for it all any more.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top