Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Animals in captivity

A recent news story gave me the idea for this thread - where Dolphins have been caught from the wild to be exhibited in an aquarium and allow people a 'once in a lifetime chance' to swim with them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24738828

Are you for or against? If so why? If not why not?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Against.

If you want to 'swim with dolphins' there are plenty of places in the world where you can do this au naturel. And even tailored holidays to take you to those places.

I really do not like ANY animal being kept in a cage. Even budgies or rabbits etc. I've had both in my time but they were 'let out' and given the freedom to 'roam' in the case of the budgie - with the windows closed indoors. In the case of the rabbit(s) just anywhere they liked (much to the chagrin of some of my close neighbours)

I don't see a day out at a ZOO as a treat for the same reason. All those beautiful animals contained behind bars.

I do however take on board some of the conservation arguments. And the Camel Park at Mazotos here is one of my favourite places but they are not 'caged'. And used to be a form of transport here in Cyprus not all that long ago (as were the vanishing donkeys) so if it were not for the Camel Park - they'd all have vanished a long time ago. And they are well cared for there and although they do 'camel rides' they strictly rotate the camels they use for this and in any case for hundreds of years camels (like horses) have been used to being ridden.

It's my aversion to seeing animals 'caged' that makes me unhappy thinking about dogs being left in 'crates' for long periods. Call them crates but, to me, they are still 'cages'.

*and for exotic species that are imported to be kept caged there is of course the horrendous story behind their arrival of how they were captured and transported here. Most don't survive that and it depletes the species where they originate.

*if people want to watch some 'activity' taking place in a small space - they can watch it on the telly in my view.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Wild animals should be left where they are really, I don't like seeing them caged. It isn't like crating a dog that has had it gently introduced at a young age to keep it safe for a couple of hours.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Totally against .
I find it disgusting that animals in the wild be caught and held captive to entertain people .
If people didn't go to see these animals there would be no point in catching them . I for one would not go and see these animals and neither would I visit a zoo as I find them to be very sad places
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Wild animals should be left where they are really, I don't like seeing them caged. It isn't like crating a dog that has had it gently introduced at a young age to keep it safe for a couple of hours.
Couple of hours yes. Animals might have to be contained in the boot of a car for that long or longer to move from one place to another (but not on a daily basis) However, I'm sure you've read some of the threads on here where people say they crate their dogs every day for far longer than that - in one case it was for 12 hours with a short break in the middle with someone letting it out to pee.

This isn't a thread about 'crated' dogs. But as I said I see a crate the same as a cage - a container designed to keep an animal contained in a small space. Which is why I mentioned that I don't like that more than any others. Even if some caged animals are 'let out' for short periods so their owners can 'play with them' I still don't think it is in the best interest of the particular animal, bird or reptile. It's for the owners pleasure and satisfaction.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes as I said a couple of hours but sometimes (twice so far) I have had to leave them longer. Not sure what else some of us can do though as safety of the dog is paramount I am not worried if she wrecks the place but she could so easily get hurt accidentally.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Against.
Has anyone watched the film 'Blackfish'?
Wild animals belong in the wild, in captivity they will eventually have psychological disorders. Much like people who spend a lifetime in prison! Except those animals didn't commit a crime.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes as I said a couple of hours but sometimes (twice so far) I have had to leave them longer. Not sure what else some of us can do though as safety of the dog is paramount I am not worried if she wrecks the place but she could so easily get hurt accidentally.
I don't think having to resort to doing something you wouldn't normall do 'a couple of times' really matters. It's not a routine or a regular thing is it? Needs must and all that.

It was purely because Bella could have electrocuted herself or got 'stuck' somewhere when she was so tiny as a pup (about as big as a hamster lol) that I used my kennel to put her in when I had to leave her. I also had to block off all small gaps on the verandahs until she got too big to squeeze through them. You do what you can and what you must but, as in your case, for the good and the benefit of the DOG.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Against.

I do not think it is right to take away an animals freedom just to satisfy us humans.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Starting from Tang's message #2 down to all the others...

...I agree with all of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >