View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-04-2013, 08:28 PM
if i was you i would try to get him trapped in the garage and well he was shut in get a secure fence built on the front so he could still be outside and have his dog house in the outside area,

he would resent being trapped at first but from what i know dogs that are confined can be taught to trust again much faster plus you would know he was safe,
you could even fence your whole property if its possible so he still is free in a large area with plenty of escape routes but again would be safe
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2013, 09:12 PM
A friend of mine"tamed"a lurcher who was living wild on some local common land, she used body language to get close to him & it took a long time.

Once she had caught him he quickly fitted with the other lurcher & cross breed she had & is now a very happy boy He still has his moments & does a runner(it's part of the lurcher psyche)but he always comes back eventually. He is without doubt the gentlest dog I have ever met & truly devoted to my friend who"tamed him.

Don't give up on him XX
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Need some advise people. Had my neighbor call animal control on me , because the dog was running loose in my yard and would go out into the woods.Once in a great while he would run across the neighbors yard and into the woods. I am surrounded by State Park and only have one neighbor on one side, who is not a very nice person. I pleaded with him to give me a little time ,and I will get a fence up. He just said , I shoot coyotes also.Two hours later I have the animal control pullup in front of my house , asking me questions about my dogs.I explained the situation , she was understanding and told me to get him confined.He is fearful of everything, and I cannot take him to a Vet.Had his stool tested and he had tapeworm, and fleas.Put him on medication for worms and Frontline for fleas.Because I did not know what this dog has , I did not want to take a chance to have him with my other dog. I was forced to put him on the other side of the yard that I have fenced in for my little mixed sheltie. To have him fenced in , was a challenge for a whole day ,he kept escaping.The fence is not real strong ,plastic coated wire fence with 4 ft posts. He is now content in this area and sleeps in a dog house all night . He does not trust anyone but me ,to touch him.Then I discovered that if I put my little sheltie mix out in the yard with him while other people come around he will approach them a little bit then back off. I found a Vet that will come out to the house . Had him tested for Heartworm and his stool tested again. It turned out that he had hook worm , which meant that I had to give my other little guy some medication for the hook worm also. Then to top off the worse scenario, he tested positive for heartworm. Now I have to put this poor guy through heartworm treatment. Can anyone give me advise on what I am in for.The vet said that he is probably around 3 yrs old and in fairly good shape, it would be worth trying to save his life. He is not showing signs of coughing.If all goes well I need to know how can I get him to stay in the house,he is even afraid of a TV. I do get him to come in to eat , with no Tv on,he then goes out side afterwards,sometimes takes my shoe with him. Please help me!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Firstly, what a lovely person you are to have rescued this dog and hopefully he will learn to trust again, as he has with you. You mentioned that he is a little more confident when your sheltie is with him - can you try and get them to spend more time together (gradually) and with any luck they will bond and you rescue dog will learn confidence through your sheltie.

The best of luck to you and keep us informed.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you for rsponding. I am trying to have the two spend as much time together as possible.I want everything to happen quickly, I need patience. Now we have fireworks going on in the neighborhood because of the holiday and many people are in this area , to be at their cottage to have fun. So he is suppose to remain calm during this heartworm treatment that is going to start Memorial weekend. Normally he would be hospitalized at a Vet , but I will be watching him , to try to keep him calm. Lord help me . lol
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
Please help me!
Oh how I wish I could with advice and real physical help but can not do either. I know zilch about tape worm, heart worm, and such, ('tho there are many on here who can probably advise) if you can afford the treatment please do it, this story has really got to me and I really hope you can save this dog and show that horrible neighbour what a malicious, uncaring human he is, the sad part is there are so many cretins like him on this planet.

Please don't give up, what I do know about dogs is that once they have 'bonded' they are the most loyal and faithful of creatures far exceeding humans in this respect.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 08:32 PM
You have done so well with him since you first posted, and clearly have determination and patience as well as a deep love for dogs - unlike that neighbour of yours who is certainly not making your life easy.

Do you have a room in the house that you could shut the chap in - starting off slowly with just a few minutes? A utility room or something would be ideal especially if there is a door to the outside pen. You probably haven't, or you would have thought of that by now

You deserve to have success with this dog, and somehow I think that you will win through.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I echo all the praise given by others and really admire you for this.

I suppose you've tried having the volume right down on the TV.

Wish I had some other suggestions but I can only think of carrying on as you have been because you certainly are making progress.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 08:03 AM
You are a saint. I hate your neighbour. I do hope things work out - it won't be for the lack of you trying if they don't. Good luck.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi Well done, with the heartworm,you have to get that done,its not here in the UK,but from programmes I have seen it has to be treated immediately.Regarding your neighbour,maybe a bit of bribery,its not the same but where i lived before,the Lady nextdoor hated cats,I had adopted several feral which I fed outside,only one used to come in,but really couldnt stop them wondering.So I was fed up with the Animosty,and was baking,so decided to make a cake for her nextdoor(though I had thought of poisoning it)So made a cake,and went next door,she was delighted with the cake,and the second time I took a cake she invited me in.I said we seem to have got off on the wrong foot,I explained that the cats were feral and were just fed by me,she hated the cats tha used her garden as a toilet,but most cats wander but would undertake to find a solution I did find some granules,and they seemed to do the trick,maybe you could make him a pie.With the dog you have to be patient,with Fay I still havent got eye contact,and even now if I reach out to quickly she will bolt,everything is done very slowly,if you include the resident dog in handling him,as I have an older bitch,so include her by getting her to sit and giving her a chew.Fay will sometimes sit when she sees Holly doing it,its very hit or miss,but every step is worth it however small Best of Luck keep us posted Gemini54
Page 5 of 21 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »