View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I am thrilled by this tale and so warmed by the time and energy you are putting into helping this poor soul. Well done to you, and as others have said, please keep us updated with how things are going.

If you get a chance, and of course so long as it doesn't scare the poor thing, try to take a photo if you can - I'm sure we'd all love to see this fellow as we follow your progress.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Morning glory. I can't add anything to the great advice you've already had. Good luck and God bless you.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
How wonderful that you are working so hard with this poor dog. It sounds as if you are already beginning to gain his trust and with time and patience he will become more confident around you. He is lucky to have found you.

As others have said, please let us know how things are progressing - we are all interested in his progress, and well done you for looking after him so well.
Thank you Susannah92 The only thing I fear is that I cannot keep him confined right now . I don't want someone to call animal control on him and take him away from me.I live on a dead end road, and he is remaining most of the time on my property . He wonders in the woods to do his duty.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I echo what was said here.
He eats in the garage ,but won't stay in it. He does sleep in a dog house outside.I wish I could get thim confined in a fenced in area.Warm weather is suppose to be on its way , so I can spend more time with him.I would love to have him stay in the garage,all night long.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Pep_Sounds View Post
I am thrilled by this tale and so warmed by the time and energy you are putting into helping this poor soul. Well done to you, and as others have said, please keep us updated with how things are going.

If you get a chance, and of course so long as it doesn't scare the poor thing, try to take a photo if you can - I'm sure we'd all love to see this fellow as we follow your progress.
Pep_ Sounds ,thank you. My Sister died of cancer about 2 months ago. My other Sister and I took care of her for several months. Less than one month after she died this poor starving and fearful dog was sleeping in the woods, and along side of my neighbors house in the cold bitter snow.He was all bones. My neighbor never knew he was sleeping at night in the leaves along the side of his house.He would not see it the way I do that the poor dog needs time , medication, love and shelter. Will keep you informed about his progress.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
I don't want someone to call animal control on him and take him away from me.I live on a dead end road, and he is remaining most of the time on my property . He wonders in the woods to do his duty.
Is there any way you can talk with your neighbours and explain the situation so they don't call animal control? From your description it doesn't seem like he's causing any trouble. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
He eats in the garage ,but won't stay in it. He does sleep in a dog house outside.I wish I could get thim confined in a fenced in area.Warm weather is suppose to be on its way , so I can spend more time with him.I would love to have him stay in the garage,all night long.
What if you were to move the dog house into the garage? Is there anyway you could leave the garage door open at night?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm thinking it's probably VERY cold at night in your part of Michigan right now?

Some 'outside' dogs are never happy indoors but you'd think they'd want to come in out of the cold wouldn't you?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'm thinking it's probably VERY cold at night in your part of Michigan right now?

Some 'outside' dogs are never happy indoors but you'd think they'd want to come in out of the cold wouldn't you?
It is fear and lack of trust that prevents him, (I call him Timber), from staying in the garage to keep warm, being outside provides him with an escape route. It will take time to build up that trust by feeding him and talking to him.

We took on a feral cat many years ago who had been sleeping in the garden over the winter. It took weeks of coaxing and a huge leap of faith for him to "come inside", but he eventually did, and thereafter he lived with us for 15 years. So it can be done
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It is fear and lack of trust that prevents him, (I call him Timber), from staying in the garage to keep warm, being outside provides him with an escape route. It will take time to build up that trust by feeding him and talking to him.

We took on a feral cat many years ago who had been sleeping in the garden over the winter. It took weeks of coaxing and a huge leap of faith for him to "come inside", but he eventually did, and thereafter he lived with us for 15 years. So it can be done
Thank you Apache , I am so fearfull that something might happen to him out in the dog house all night. We live surrounded by a State park, raccoons, coyote and who knows what. When the Summer comes, I hope I can get him in the house ,or at least stay in the garage. They like to practice the Fourth of July here way before and after.They are not little explosives, they look like Downtown Detroit.Thanks for the encouragement , I am starting to loose faith in my efforts to train him.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Labrador Lover View Post
Hello and a warm welcome Only time and patience will win out I am afraid. When he sees that food is something that will always be served up on time and he doesn't have to gobble it down immediately he will come round. Also could take a lot of patience with his toileting and walking on the lead as well but all will come in time provided you have the patience. Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »