Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
What you are doing sounds right. He finally trusts you enough to enter the garage to eat, no matter if you have to stand far off and the fact that he's eating knowing you're there is also a good sign.

I would keep doing what you're doing, food is a great way to earn trust since it's necessary for the dogs survival. Eventually you can stand one step closer and closer until the gap gets smaller and smaller (within reason). Take your time, if you push things too fast he may regress and have to start all over again.

I'm not sure if you're working or not or how much time you have available but maybe you can set up a chair close by and simply read a book and hang out not engaging directly with him and do this on a schedule; at the same time everyday. Even if he's farther away from you, hopefully he'll get closer and closer and stay close for longer periods of time especially since you will be behaving in a non-threatening and direct manner around him. Throw high value food like pieces of meat or dehydrated liver in his direction (not right at him as to not startle the dog). He will eventually tie your presence to getting food on a schedule and will stick around longer. This will also build his trust in you and he will choose to stay with you longer. That's the key, everything has to be on his terms. Trust is not an easy to thing to accomplish with a dog that's been fending on his own for so long.

You can maybe also play very soft music in the garage, soft enough that he won't notice it too much to eventually desensitize him to different noises. Bringing up the volume very very slowly over time.

Would it be possible to set up a cozy spot for him at one of the corners of the garage? Maybe put out one of those large plastic crates and make it feel as cave like as possible with lots of bedding and maybe even some leaves from outside so it smells like the woods or anything you can think of to make it remind the dog of the outdoors. Also keep fresh water for him in his area (you're probably already doing this though). Once he realizes that you are providing basic living conditions it may entice him to stick around and build even more trust.

Since he's obviously on his own and not part of a pack, that probably explains why he's so scared of your dog even though he's much bigger.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

All the best. Keep us posted I am very interested to see how everything pans out.
Thank you Timber, You have some great suggestions. I am retired so I do have time to spend with him. Sittting and reading a book sounds great. I did get a crate from a neighbor and put it in the garage near his food with straw, and some blankets in it. Does not seem to be interested in it. I think he might feel like he will be trapped in the garage.Put some snacks in it. He ate them ,but that is it. Unfortunately my neighbor slammed the door while he was in it and he was terrified.He tried to escape and almost had his paws slammed from the door. I wish people with good intentions realize you must go slow at this . He is living in constant fear.Sleeps all night in a dog house in the yard. I am afraid of raccoons coming along and he might get hurt if he approaches them. We had a oppossum come in the yard and he went up to it ,but did not attempt to hurt it. I told him to leave it . He got scared and ran into the woods. Came back about 20 min later.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
To all that responded thank you. This dog was starving when I found him. You can see every vertebra , his ribs and hip bones protruding. Appears to be some kind of hound dog. No collar on and was sleeping in the cold winter days and nights for the last month at least in the woods. He ate the neighbors tennis ball in the yard in half. It took awhile , but he will come in the garage and eat . But I must stay far back. The first time I brought food out for him he was sleeping in my neighbors leaves along his house ,he got up and ran in the woods. I have surveillance cameras and could see that the only one who ate his food was a opossum and a raccoon.Kept trying and finally he came and ate from the bowl ,as long as I kept my distance. Any strange sound , like a mail truck ,or any other person that comes along he runs out in the woods. He now allows me to pet him , but no one else can get near him. I checked him for fleas , and brought in a stool sample for worm testing Had fleas and tapeworm. Got medication for both. He is now putting on some weight , after feeding him 4 times a day puppy chow with lamb or hamburger.I cannot confine him yet and I don't want to have problems with the neighbors.He remains most of the time on our property. He is afraid of my little dog who is a sheltie mix and does not even bark at him. When he sees my dog he goes under the deck, as he is hiding from him.This dog is at least 3 times larger than my dog. I am afraid that if I try to fence him in he will get frantic. He is fearful of everything. Help!
How wonderful that there is someone who is willing to give this dog a chance of life when clearly some horrible human has dumped him, we had a dog dumped around here. (a long story which I won't go into now)

As mentioned several times food is a key to gaining his trust and if I may mention it clean, fresh, water also.

It will take a long time, but slowly, day by day, he should begin to trust you. Everything you do should be part of a routine, he will slowly get to know that routine and this is what dogs like, to know that certain (good) things happen at certain times.

One final thing, would you post here from time to time please even if you don't want to become a long standing member, to be able to read how things are going will be so nice.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
What a wonderful person you are - there are many who love dogs, but who have neither the time nor the patience to do what you are doing.

You have come so very far already with this dog, and the seeds of trust are definitely there in it's mind. As others have said, and as you yourself have pointed out, this cannot be rushed and I suspect that you have a very long haul ahead of you - the main thing is that you are providing food and medication, and if he will accept it, a bed in an open garage or shed.

The very best of luck to you, and please do give us updates when you can.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
How wonderful that you are working so hard with this poor dog. It sounds as if you are already beginning to gain his trust and with time and patience he will become more confident around you. He is lucky to have found you.

As others have said, please let us know how things are progressing - we are all interested in his progress, and well done you for looking after him so well.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What a wonderful person you are - there are many who love dogs, but who have neither the time nor the patience to do what you are doing.

You have come so very far already with this dog, and the seeds of trust are definitely there in it's mind. As others have said, and as you yourself have pointed out, this cannot be rushed and I suspect that you have a very long haul ahead of you - the main thing is that you are providing food and medication, and if he will accept it, a bed in an open garage or shed.

The very best of luck to you, and please do give us updates when you can.
I echo what was said here.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't know what else to suggest apart from time and patience but I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. Good luck!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 02:38 AM
If he's not interested in the crate in the garage, maybe try just a plain dog bed or pillow or even those basket type beds where he can curl up in but still be aware of what's going around him from all angles.

http://www.ruralcomforts.co.uk/produ...al-dog-basket/

Is the dog house he sleeps in at night in your yard? If so you can move it very slowly closer and closer to the house or garage. Only move it when he's not watching though, dogs are too smart especially a dog whose been on his own, he'll be much more aware of things.

How are things going today?

Again, i'm so happy there are such caring people out there that balances out the horrible things other people do towards these precious animals.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
We are all fascinated with this story and willing it to work out well.
Suggestion for a name for him .... "Timber", as he came from the woods and Timber on this forum has provided such wonderful advice.
Please keep us updated, we are all rooting for this dog.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Apache - My boy Timber would be honored.

I just thought of something. You mentioned this dog is a hound type dog. I wonder if you were to set up a scent game for him if he'd respond. I used to have hounds and they loved nothing more than food and smelling everything.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi morningglory

I find what you are doing for this dog so very moving.

I don't have any experience of what you are talking about but it seems intuitively what you are already doing and adding in what Timber suggests is right.

I too would be extremely in hearing how you get along.

Sandy
I will keep you posted Sandy. Your right some times intuition also plays a key part.
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »