register for free

Dog News

Taxi driver gets 10 points and a caution for refusing to carry guide dog

...has received 37 comments (page 2)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 12:08 PM
but its his aid to help him live normally, like you just said if it was a stick it wouldnt be a problem, so it shouldnt be with the dog.
in a taxi the dog wouldnt even be near the driver, as majority of passengers sit in the back, and depending on the taxi alot have screens between the front and the back now anyway.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2012, 12:12 PM
This was a mini cab so it would have been the drivers own car ...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 12:59 PM
If I were blind and had a guide dog I'd let them know when I ordered the taxi that I had a dog. That way they could send a driver who wasn't terrified of dogs, allergic to them or unwilling to have them in the car. No, he shouldn't HAVE to do so but to me it's just common sense that if you're ordering a taxi and have a dog with you, especially a large dog, to say so even if it is an assistance dog.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 02:23 PM
To say the blind man should have to announce his handicap and the fact he needed the dog to be with him is silly. If that's to be expected, then shouldn't the cab company have had to say that the driver is Muslim so it's against his religion to carry dogs in his cab?

In fairness, had the driver explained the situation and organised another cab to come straight away, I doubt the matter would have been reported. It sounds very much, from the article, that no such offer was made, just a point blank refusal to carry the dog issued
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Personally, unless the taxi firm is a familiar, regularly used one, I always inform them of an assistance dog.

I've still had drivers refuse even when I've mentioned it.
I think the message doesn't get passed on sometimes, after all, it is the law and I think people just expect it to be obeyed.

I do try not to get irritated by it but, I do sometimes find myself thinking, their beliefs shouldn't come into it, its the law and part of their job.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 03:10 PM
To add to my above comment.

I've had drivers pull up, spot theres a dog, open the window and shout I'm not taking that, whilst reversing away rather fast. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

I've also had refusing drivers sent back to me, after I've phoned for another one and had to explain why. Funnily enough they're over their problem when they come back.

With that said, I've had drivers who are perfectly happy to accept a dog, after allowing me to explain assistance dogs and their purpose.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2012, 03:14 PM
he council takes this issue very seriously and has thoroughly investigated all the legal and religious issues regarding Muslim drivers carrying assistance dogs.
About time someone stood up and made an issue of this.

The excuse the taxi driver did not understand the law, an its against this religion , is just that an excuse.

And for said council accepting his excuse is unbelievably:

1) he should know the law before he becomes a taxi driver.

2) if his religion impacts on his job he should not be in that job.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree with the last two points that Jackbox has raised.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with JBs last two points also.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Murf - "When ordering a cab if the dog owner had informed them he had a guide dog surly they would have sent a appropriate cab and driver ?"

But Murf if the blind person did that he would also have to say he didn't want a Muslim driver and then he would be guilty of racism and all hell would break loose, and what if there were no other drivers available, and what if the blind man was wanting a taxi of the rank and that was the only one there, so he has to wait, is that fair?

And who believes the driver in this case, so he never read the rules of the taxi licence? I can't believe someone could be so ignorant and if they are they should not be given a licence to drive a taxi.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top