register for free

Dog News

Puppy shot dead by farmer after running off during a walk

A Hertfordshire family are grieving after their 15-month-old puppy was shot dead by a farmer. Now the Harrisons of Clay End in Walkern, Hertfordshire, are appealing to farmers to consider other ways of scaring dogs away before firing, and cautioning owners to take care when walking their dogs.

Gill Harrison's Bedlington Terrier, Archie, ran through a hedge to a farm whilst out for a walk along a rural bridleway on Valentine's Day. As Mrs Harrison and her husband searched for Archie, calling his name, Mr Harrison received a phone call, informing him that the puppy had been shot - legally - because he was worrying chickens.

“The man asked me if I had a dog called Archie and I said 'yes',” said Mr Harrison. “He then said 'I just shot him dead'.”

Jack Twomey, the tenant of Bridges Farm, admitted killing Archie. Defending his action, he said: “It was attacking my hen so I shot it, that was all there was to it. Initially I thought it was a fox so I got my shotgun and then saw it was a dog. I'm sorry that I shot it but it was attacking my hen.”

The Harrisons said they are devastated at losing Archie and have put up posters about the shooting, warning people to keep their dogs on a lead.

“We're responsible dog owners,” said Mrs Harrison. “If he'd come and said we'd have put him on a lead. So many people use this path and I feel everyone should know. I can't believe someone could do that, he was just a harmless dog.” Mrs Harrison pointed out that gaps in the hedge and the absence of a fence meant that anyone could wander into the farm. No livestock were killed in the incident.

Local people have left messages of support on a newspaper's website, one saying: “Little Archie wasn't capable of hurting a fly.”

Your comments and views:
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I feel so sorry for the dog... for having such irresponsible owners.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:24 AM
So it's the farmer's fault for not putting dog-proof fencing all the way around his farm, rather than theirs for not having their dog on a lead I don't think I would class a 15 month old terrier as a puppy either - are they trying to get more sympathy because it was a "puppy" that was shot, rather than an adult dog that should have been trained better?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I feel so very sorry for the dog, its owners, the hen and the farmer.

The owners were in the wrong here and trying to shift the blame will only serve to make the growing anti-dog people even more anti-dog.

Bad, bad situation that a simple piece of cloth could have prevented
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:36 AM
So sorry for the poor pup. RIP Archie

Sad that the owners were so irresponsible owners IMO, its a common practice with farmers its not like no-one never hears what farmer will do if a dog is worrying their livestock .... always a risk when on farmland if your dog runs off
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 11:13 AM
poor dog, but the farmer was right to do what he did.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Whilst I agree that yes, the owners should have been able to recall the dog.

What if they did not know there was a farm on the other side of the hedge so didn't realise the dog needed to be on a lead?

I know farmers can shoot dogs worrying stock, but after seeing it was not a fox, could he not have just approached the dog, shooed him away or caught him and called the owner to collect him?
Clearly if the dog is mid attack this is not an option.

Just to me seems like shooting the dog was a bit drastic even if he was in his rights. I'm sure people will disagree.

I have to say, I'm sure many people could get caught up in a sad situation like this, and I'm not sure they are the terrible owners people are making them out to be.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Very sad, poor Archie. When you consider the damage that this 'harmless' dog could have done to the flock of hens, I'm not really surprised that the farmer shot him. Very sad situation.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 01:42 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, the farmer should do everything in his power to stop the dog chasing his livestock and then, if all else fails, they are allowed to shoot. Personally, I think this farmer was way OTT. If Archie had managed to catch and kill one of his hens, then I am sure the owners would have been more than happy to pay for it - and hopefully learn a lesson about keeping your dog on a lead near farms and on farmland. I feel dreadfully sorry for Archie and his poor owners, and actually have little sympathy for this particular farmer I don't think his actions were reasonable in the circumstances.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Poor dog. Its the same as walking a dog off lead by a road. Noone ever thinks it will happen to them
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top