register for free

Dog News

Elephant loses best friend – a dog called Bella

An elephant sanctuary in Tenessee is mourning the loss of a stray dog who became a treasured friend for their founding elephant. Bella, a little stray dog, turned up at The Sanctuary in 2003 and forged an enduring friendship with Tarra the Asian elephant. The friends became inseperable, doing everything together – playing, eating and sleeping and shared a bond of love and trust so great that when Bella suffered a spinal chord injury, Tarra waited outside The Sanctuary office for three weeks, concerned for her friend.

The best friends became famous and were featured on shows such as Oprah. Rob Atkinson, CEO of The Sanctuary told of how “utterly devoted” Tarra and Bella were to one another. “They shared their lives together, often traveling miles each day exploring the 2,200 acres of their wilderness home here at The Sanctuary.”

CBS said of their friendship: “They harbor no fears, no secrets, no prejudices. Just two living creatures who somehow managed to look past their immense differences.
Take a good look America. Take a good look world. If they can do it - what's our excuse?”

Bella recently went missing, prompting a Sanctury-wide search. Sadly, her body was found close to the barn she shared with Tara and five other elephants. The Sanctuary's vet stated that her injuries showed that she was attacked by other animals, probably coyotes.

The Sanctuary staff tried to help Tarra deal with Bella's death by giving her the chance to visit Bella, explaining that “elephants in their grief pay great attention to the bodies of their dead”. However, to everyone's surprise, Tarra stayed away. Piecing together the available evidence, staff believe that Tarra had actually found Bella during or after the attack and carried her beloved companion's body back to the barn. There was no evidence of any struggle at the site where Bella's body was found and the extent of her injuries made it unlikely that she could have reached the barn herself. There was, however, evidence of blood under Tarra's trunk, suggesting that she carried her injured friend home, coming to terms with her death in the process.

In a tribute to Bella, the little white stray dog who befriended an elephant, The Sanctuary has written:

"Bella trusted Tarra so completely, she would let the giant elephant stroke her stomach with her foot and caress her with her trunk. Bella and Tarra found sanctuary together in the 2,200 acres of The Elephant Sanctuary; swimming in ponds, exploring new paths, and resting side by side in the sunshine. Bella, we will miss you and your infectious playfulness! We will continue your work, and take care of your friend Tarra.”

Your comments and views:
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
That is such a touching story - made me cry. R.I.P Bella.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I remember seeing this pair on programmes many times, including Bellas struggle with a spinal injury. How tragic that she was attacked

RIP Bella
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
So sad, i remember watching the video of them together. Run free sweet Bella.x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Got me crying here too Lucky Yes, we could all learn something from this little story couldn't we. Awwww love it, thanks for sharing this with us.

Run free sweet Bella, go find some new friends at Rainbow until you are reunited with your very best friend one day.xxx
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Very sad news.

R.I.P Bella x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Ohh what a shame, I remember watching the video of them both for the first time and thinking how utterly beautiful their special friendship was.

What a tragic ending to poor Bella's life, I can only hope her death was a quick one

I am glad though that Tarra isn't pining too much and she seems to understand what happened. Animals are so amazing, they can teach us so much about true values and friendships.
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:49 PM
It is a nice thought to think, Tina did carry Bella home, to....RIP
We will see you again in Rainbow Bridge :0) xx

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top