register for free

Dog News

"Cat coursing" - the latest dog related crime

There have been a number of reports about 'cat coursing' a new crime where cruel dog owners deliberately set their dogs on cats. Albam Leggett from Darlington was the victim of such a crime, where his cat Mitzi is believed to have been killed by the so called 'cat coursing'.

Alban was told by a number of witnesses that a group of men set their Lurcher type dog on Mitzi - who was 8 years old. "When I found Mitzi, he was in a terrible state," said Leggett. The cat's injuries were so severe that he had to be put down.

He went on to say "It’s happening all the time round here, a woman told me someone had thrown a dog over her fence to get at her cat. It’s barbaric. We won’t be getting another cat. This whole experience has been too painful."

Acting Sergeant Gary Fenwick of Darlington police said "We are seeing an increase in this kind of crime. It has been loosely named ‘cat coursing’ but it should not be described as that. It is a bloodthirsty and barbaric crime. The police are operating a zero-tolerance approach. If people are caught, they will not receive a caution and we will be looking immediately for custodial sentences."

If you have any information about this or any other crime please contact your local police station.

Your comments and views:
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I can't even read this news item the title alone is enough to turn my stomach...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore.

It sits badly with me not knowing what happened to my elderly cat 3 years ago he never came home most unusual for him and my son and his family's young cat who went missing two weeks ago he never moved far form the house or garden. They lost their other young cat last year to anti freeze poisoning and now this. I will hasten to add though we have heard no stories of cat coursing here as far as I am aware.

It is a dreadful and cruel thing to do.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I've never heard of that, but I can imagine some of the "tuff guys" with their "tuff status dogs" doing that round here unfortunately

Such an evil thing to do
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Just disgusting People make me sick at times.
vulcho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:17 PM
I have my wolfdog\husky because he was found attacking my siamese cat she had a lot of injuries & we are very lucky she survived when we heard the noise my partner went out to shoot the wolf[we sometimes get wolfs &jackel in the village] , it ran off I thought she was dead but went out & cought the dog it was a lovely husky type pup only about 10 monthes old now he [Vulcho] wolf in bulgarian & Meezer [my siamese] & our other dogs are living happily together, its a dogs instinct to hunt if theyr wild but there is no reason to ever encurage a dog to attack another animal in a domestic situation & cats are as important as dogs to their owners
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Vile and sickening
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome to Darlo - cat coursing central.

It wouldn't surprise me tbh, everyone round here owns Lurchers, they're the dog of choice for poaching, coursing etc. And of course they need something to practice on.....
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Vile and so cruel!!

Another way for these scumbags to entertain themselves

Another danger for cats who are allowed to go out

We have 3 cats -and they are all indoor

Maureen
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Such a terrible thing to do
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top