register for free

Dog News

Second-hand smoke warning for pets

People who smoke around their pets are being warned that the second-hand smoke may be putting the animals at risk of developing cancer. Clare Knottenbelt, a Professor from the University of Glasgow's Small Animal Hospital, says that the cancer risks are backed up by studies and include lymphoma and oral cancer in cats and lung, nasal and sinus cancer in dogs.

Professor Knottenbelt's research involves looking at nicotine levels in the fur of dogs which, she says, suggests that they are as vulnerable to the same levels of nicotine as children in the household. This may be used to give an indication of second-hand smoke exposure in a household in general.

The Professor says that animal cancer treatments are expensive and not always effective for long-term survival, advising, "the best way of avoiding damage to your pet's health is to not smoke around them - or better still, to give up."

Your comments and views:
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I know a lady who has 2 rescued Bichon Frise and one of them had Asthma as it lived with a chain-smoker prior to her getting it. I didn't realise that dogs could get asthma.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Ha I know Claire! Studied for my doctorate at that vet school
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Its no surprise really is it, we know smoke and second hand smoke can cause health problems, why should it be different for the smoke to cause health problems for pets, doubt people will take notice of this for a longtime though, specially when you can walk into peoples homes with young kids and be met with a room of smoke as they've had the doors and windows shut, if they don't care enough for their kids health why would they care for their pets?

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top