View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Can some dogs simply not be taught a good recall? (Update @ post 140)

Dexter has been with us a year now, and I've tried really hard with the recall, up to and including one-to-one sessions with a trainer.

He has a perfect recall around the house; I can recall him from the garden instantly; from downstairs to upstairs perfectly.

But when we get to the park or anywhere else, the minute another dog or person appears, that's IT. It's like he goes into an altered state and does not even hear me.

I've tried a whistle; I've tried toys; I've tried high value treats up to and including taking raw meat! I've tried enlisting friends and their dogs but even if he's OK with them, he then does not generalise it to *new* dogs that we might meet at other times

I've tried taking him early in the morning before he's eaten - that does not help either! No matter how hungry he might be, the lure of other dogs is stronger, it seems.

Must some dogs just be kept on a long line, full stop?

Today EVEN though he was on a long line he managed to go hurtling across the park and right up to a man and his dog. I simply was not strong enough to stop him and ended up getting bad rope burns when I tried!!!

Sorry for the despondent post - today I just really feel that I have failed to teach Dex a sound recall.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:31 PM
First rule of long lines, always wear gloves.

Have you ever gone to a recall workshop and worked intensively on this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Many thanks for those links SB - I will check them out now

No, never been to a recall workshop; probably a good idea and something for me to organise as soon as possible!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I found it very useful practising recall in a "recall workshop" Could recommend one Guildford way. Wasn't so much just the techniques as the chance to practise them intensively with other dogs doing the same thing.

Found group dog walks (meeting up with other owners and going for a wander) helpful too.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Great links SB - I am sending emails to both Ross & Sue. Not sure if either is very near to me but I will travel if necessary to get some proper help with this

Thanks again
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Many thanks for those links SB - I will check them out now

No, never been to a recall workshop; probably a good idea and something for me to organise as soon as possible!
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/do...ecall-workshop

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/acatalog/jul24.html

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/acatalog/aug17.html
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd recommend a workshop.....I did the one in Guildford through Adolescent dogs....

more often than not its the owner that needs the teaching lol. Once you know some proven methods and you see him actually responding it really boosts you to go on and do it yourself.

it does take a hell of alot of work and consistency. I do think some breeds and certain dogs are more prone to be distracted but I think every dog is capable of learning good recall
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
I'd recommend a workshop.....I did the one in Guildford through Adolescent dogs....

more often than not its the owner that needs the teaching lol. Once you know some proven methods and you see him actually responding it really boosts you to go on and do it yourself.

it does take a hell of alot of work and consistency. I do think some breeds and certain dogs are more prone to be distracted but I think every dog is capable of learning good recall

Thanks

I figure I must have got some of it right, as his recall around the home and garden is perfect - but when he sees another dog he just goes into like a trance
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »